The ice fishing VT boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: How to catch crappies  (Read 1076 times)

Offline walleyeicefisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I'd Rather be Ice Fishing
How to catch crappies
« on: Mar 02, 2009, 11:37 AM »
I am wondering how to catch some crappies thur the ice on the conn river?  I have some friends that would really like to catch them for a fish fry. 
Any tips on catching them would be great. 

Offline rboot

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: How to catch crappies
« Reply #1 on: Mar 04, 2009, 06:25 AM »
It would depend on where you where going to try to catch them deep water or shallow?
<br />Ice Fish Vermont

Offline walleyeicefisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Mar 04, 2009, 06:42 AM »
We have been fishing down to wilder the water is around 40 feet deep.  Are they more in the shallows or can they be found in the deep water. 

Offline rboot

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Mar 04, 2009, 08:00 AM »
It's fun to find them in deep water but I don't think you're going to be doing that there.  You should be able to find some in the shallow weed edges.  You should have a sensitive pole with eiter 2-3# test.  Find the smallest gigs you got, tip them with spiks and jig.  Crappie tend to feed up, so slowly dropping the jig while jigging the entire water colum works good.  let me know if you find some in that area, we got a few spots in that area where we have been having some luck.
<br />Ice Fish Vermont

Offline walleyeicefisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Mar 04, 2009, 09:49 AM »
We were just looking for something to possibly jig since the walleye haven't been biting all that great there. 
I had my underwater camera with me this weekend and everything really seems to just drop right off to 35 - 40 feet of water.  I did manage to find a 20foot sand shelf. 

can you catch them with my perch minnows?  I think by the boat lauch there at wilder it is shallow with some good weed cover. 

Hey by the way i had some friends fish the set back last week they got 40 perch and 10 pike but no walleye. 

Offline rboot

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Mar 04, 2009, 10:14 AM »
I don't think you'll find crappie in 40fow, look shallow first, if you see sunniies and gills but no crappies, fish! they crappies spook easy and the camera might scare them.
<br />Ice Fish Vermont

Offline walleyeicefisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Mar 04, 2009, 02:02 PM »
actually didn't seem much this weekend.  I think all the rain on friday really murk up the river. 

Offline rboot

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Mar 05, 2009, 07:29 AM »
The murk might be good, you'll have a hard time using the camera after the rain.
<br />Ice Fish Vermont

Offline walleyeicefisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Mar 05, 2009, 09:06 AM »
It didn't seem to be too good this pastweekend with the murk.  The fishing was incredibly slow, well that is the walleyes were. 

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.