Author Topic: Flasher suggestions  (Read 175405 times)

Offline GOOSE_EGG

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Rip'n Lips [URL=http://s1208.photobucket.com/user/
Re: Flasher suggestions
« Reply #300 on: Sep 23, 2013, 09:14 PM »
I have never cared about what every one else is using, I just look for the what will work for me the best. I found the Garmin 300C Fish Finder (not the Echo) to have all the features that I was looking for; Color with a high pixel count, a gain that lets me see tiny jigs in 40+ feet of water, a split screen with ZOOM, a flasher screen if I want it, but best of all, all for about $200.00.  It does not come or have available from Garmin an “Ice Transducer”, but Ice Shanty is full of ways to get around that. Now that I have used it for a couple season, I can say that it performed very well. On both ice and open water, fresh and saltwater. There is NO lag time what so ever. I use 2 rechargeable 6 volt batteries ($20 total) in series for a total of 9 amps (cheaper than 1, 7 amp 12 volt battery). I tested the batteries for about 18 hour in two days and still had not gotten the batteries below 11.5 volts (unit works down to 10 volts). The dual beam is great and helpful split screen zoom!
It would not be the right unit for every one, but it has almost all the features of units selling for twice the money and will work even better for open water use.
Specs;

Display size, WxH:    2.1" x 2.8", 3.5" diagonal
Display resolution, WxH:    240 x 320 pixels
Display type:    QVGA
Weight:    9.6 oz (272 g)
Waterproof:    yes (IPX7)
Features and Benefits:
Audible alarms:    yes
Dual-beam sonar capable :    yes
Split-screen zoom:    yes
Ultrascroll® (displays fish targets at higher boat speeds):    yes
Fish Symbol ID (helps identify fish targets):    yes
AutoGain Technology (minimizes clutter, maximizes targets):    yes
Whiteline (indicates hard or soft bottom):    yes
Adjustable depth line (measures depth of underwater objects):    yes
Bottom lock (shows return from the bottom up):    yes
Water temperature log and graph:    yes
Water temperature sensor included:    yes
Water speed capable (displays speed on water):    yes

Frequency:    80/200 kHz (dual beam)
Transmit power:    Dual Beam, 150 W (RMS), 1,200 Watts (peak to peak)
Voltage range:    10-20 VDC
Maximum depth:    900 ft (dual beam)
Cone angle:    45° or 15° (dual beam)

High pixel? that pic makes it look really low pixel.

Offline squ1rr31_

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Addicted to freezing.
« Reply #301 on: Sep 23, 2013, 09:24 PM »

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Inventor of Minnow Magic American Patriot
« Reply #302 on: Sep 23, 2013, 09:25 PM »
 :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :clap:
“The mass of men live lives of quiet desperation”  Thoreau

Offline fishNdisc

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #303 on: Sep 23, 2013, 09:26 PM »
I own an ICE 55 and tried the marcum and multiple vexlars.  The main reason I went with the humminbird is the screen.  After hours and hours of fishing I prefer the ability to switch colors.  I prefer the blue screen and like the digital depth and background light.  Battery life is amazing, never have I ran out on the ice.  The marcum line up is awesome.  Very sensitive and powerful.  Can't say too much for the Vexlar units I have fished with other than they can be a little loud (at least the fl-22 before some wire tweaking).  Find a good deal and pull the trigger.

Offline wipike

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #304 on: Sep 23, 2013, 09:56 PM »
Both Humminbird and Marcum offer far more features and power per dollar than anything in the Vex lineup.

Vex has longevity, and it shows as their models haven't changed in the last 20 years. 

You would be wise to look at all the features available, and I'm sure you'll find the one that fits you best.

FWIW, I own a Marcum and am very, very happy with it.  I would also be just as happy with the Humminbird I borrowed for a day.   I tried a Vex for 10 minutes and couldn't stand it. 

Offline ymustuknow

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #305 on: Sep 23, 2013, 10:25 PM »
X2 and how deep many choices  out there

Panfish and walleye primarily.

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #306 on: Sep 24, 2013, 05:48 AM »
Marcum showdown! It's a vitlrtical display and the best target seperation. It's really really simple. Also one of the cheaper ones. Just look at the top of this page you will see the Marcum logo click it and see for yourself

X2

Offline jethro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #307 on: Sep 24, 2013, 08:48 AM »
Sonar was developed almost a century ago- as long as you don't count bats and dolphins. Think about that... 100 years ago. By concept, active sonar has not changed very much since then. Other than fancy ways to deal with the huge amounts of data that need to be processed and displayed, there aren't many differences than what was used in WWII. It's like anything else, the more money you pay, the fancier the package. A Toyota Matrix will get you to work every morning the same as an Audi A8, but if you can afford it the A8 is gonna make that commute a lot more enjoyable. Determine your budget first, then look at the units in your budget. Why did I buy what I did? I liked the looks of it. I liked the display, I liked the package, I liked the buttons. What I am trying to say is, within a certain price range, the differences between them will be subjective- just like the color of your Toyota or Audi. So figure how much you want to spend, then decide what you will be happy looking at all day long.
Quote- fishslap: I use a variety:  whistlin' bungholes, spleen splitters, whisker biscuits, honkey lighters, hoosker doos, hoosker don'ts, cherry bombs, nipsy daisers, with or without the scooter stick, or one single whistlin' kitty chaser

Ice safety link: http://lakeice.squarespace.com/

Offline Knoodles

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #308 on: Nov 10, 2013, 04:46 PM »
First I will say I have never used a Marcum or seen one live on the ice so I have no clue in regards to these units.  I own a Bird 55 (I think this will be my 3rd season on it).  I owned a vexilar for 4 years prior to that.  I have 4 buddies I fish with that all have Vexilar.  My experience - vexilar is far more dependable.  I have one buddy that beats the hell out of things and has only had to replace his vex ducer in the past 4 years.  My other 3 buddies have never had an issue with their vexilars.  I did not have an issue with my vexilar for the 4 years I owned it. I switched to a Humminbird for 2 reasons - I like new stuff and to stop the IR battle fishing 4 vexilars in our wheel house. 

My experience with the Bird:  shacky start as I bought one the first year out.  I went through 3 powerheads before they sent me one that works properly.  I am using the 4th one now and for the past two years.  Battery life is nothing like the vexilar.  Buddies can run vex for many hours more than I can run the Bird but the Bird is throwing much more power.  When we go on our 4/5 day trip without power I bring two extra batteries.  I blew through a ducer in the 2nd year of use and I baby my equipment.  I have fished one time with another Bird in our shanty.  We simply could not eliminate interference.  We could still fish but had a constant line going through our screens for hours.  I am glad none of my standard fishing buddies use a Bird or we would go crazy.   

The good:  I love the screen of the Bird and the zoom feature as I can choose to zoom any area of the water column.  I also get zero interference from my buddies fishing with vexilars.  While they are pushing the IR button I am fishing away.  Sensitivity is great and picks up a small jig well in deep water.  Customer service is outstanding.  They continued to send me powerheads until they got it right. They replaced my ducer outside of warranty because no ducer should go in 2 years.

I am not sure I would every buy a Bird again as the hassle getting unit that worked was too much.  I also dont like the fact my ducer went in 2 years.   

Offline Holysmit!

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #309 on: Mar 01, 2016, 03:35 PM »
Anyone have an extra soft pack for a Marcum vx-1 they would be willing to sell? 

Offline Adamjb6381

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #310 on: Dec 22, 2016, 02:41 PM »
I'm glad I found this thread. I've been going nuts trying to compare different flashers. I think I'm leaning toward the humminbird ice-35.. is there any solid reason that I should not?  Thanks in advance

Offline sfw1960

• IceShanty Rookie
  • A color LCD just for me, 4KW for your eyes only!
« Reply #311 on: Dec 23, 2016, 04:37 PM »
I'm glad I found this thread. I've been going nuts trying to compare different flashers. I think I'm leaning toward the humminbird ice-35.. is there any solid reason that I should not?  Thanks in advance

I use a 688DI on the ice because the 455KHz had much better target separation than a unit using around 200KHz because the shorter wavelength can "fit" between objects better. :)

The Ice 35 has the 455KHz ability as well as 240KHz.

As long as you don't feel the need for the digital readout LCD the 45 or 55 offer, I would say run with it!!!

http://www.humminbird.com/Freshwater/Product-Category/ICE/
HB Helix Chirp DI GPS G2/XI 9 1521 on !CE sure is n!CE - Lose the Vex and get 4 KiloWatts of Vex-blinding 'Bird power, and "see ALL of what's down there"   >:D

Bringer OF the 'Bird ~ Robert

Offline 3274mike

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #312 on: Jan 14, 2017, 09:13 AM »
If you search online and find a deal get the 45 you will never be disappointed that you got the digital depth and if you get the 35 you'll wished at some point that you had it

Offline icehound67

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #313 on: Feb 25, 2017, 03:17 PM »
I own a Marcum lx6s and have been using it all winter.  I have to say I am very happy with it, easy to use and lots of options. Hole hopping is not a problem and marks fish pretty well. I also picked up aflx28 about a month ago and used it several times. At first I didn't like the proview ducer , but once I changed the color settings it worked alot better. Now that I'm use to it, I think I like it better than my lx6s. Seems to mark fish better and seems to be quicker to send signal. I used both of them side by side and had no inference. The marcum has much more options but if I head out again this season I think I'll pick up the vex first.

Offline IceHole09

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #314 on: Jan 15, 2018, 10:17 AM »
Anybody out there using Lowrance electronics on the ice?  I don't see them get mentioned very often...  I have a Lowrance Gen3 on my boat and I would like to be able to take the sd card out of it and put it into a portable unit.  Are there any units out there that I can do this with? Thx

Offline Flint

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #315 on: Jan 15, 2018, 10:49 AM »
Anybody out there using Lowrance electronics on the ice?  I don't see them get mentioned very often...  I have a Lowrance Gen3 on my boat and I would like to be able to take the sd card out of it and put it into a portable unit.  Are there any units out there that I can do this with? Thx

Yep anyone that accepts and reads your card. Most  Gen 3 lowrance units have lake insight pro built in.

Offline sfw1960

• IceShanty Rookie
  • A color LCD just for me, 4KW for your eyes only!
« Reply #316 on: Jan 15, 2018, 08:37 PM »

I have before, I will again...LOL!

My 688ci HD DI works very well also...... ;)
HB Helix Chirp DI GPS G2/XI 9 1521 on !CE sure is n!CE - Lose the Vex and get 4 KiloWatts of Vex-blinding 'Bird power, and "see ALL of what's down there"   >:D

Bringer OF the 'Bird ~ Robert

Offline Sandalsnsocks

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #317 on: Oct 25, 2018, 09:19 PM »
Hi guys, thanks for all the info her. I’m looking at getting a marcum lx6s but from the photos I’ve seen the ducer hangs from a little arm off the unit. I would like to put the flasher up on a little table in the tent so we can all see it. Is there any way to do this with the marcum units? It looks like It would be easy with the vexilar floating transducer, any help from marcum users would be greatly appreciated thanks
Easy does it.
Let them go so they can grow.

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #318 on: Oct 25, 2018, 09:46 PM »
just use it the same way as you would on the ice. all that's different is more cable is needed to reach the hole. remember to only get about a 1/2 inch of the ducer in the water. all it needs is the air removed. another option is use a dedicated hole and let the ducer hang below the ice plate or with just 1/2 inch in the water.

Offline Sandalsnsocks

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #319 on: Oct 25, 2018, 10:35 PM »
Thanks 3300! Nice set up, I should have mentioned that I want to bring the unit away from the hole so I can see from the recliner, so I need an idea to hold the ducer over the hole, I’m not good at explaining I hope that makes sense?
Easy does it.

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech

Offline mvanhank222

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #321 on: Oct 26, 2018, 05:58 AM »
If it is a Lowrance HDS touch it will not work with a small SLA battery.

Offline Seamonkey84

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #322 on: Oct 26, 2018, 11:33 AM »
Hi guys, thanks for all the info her. I’m looking at getting a marcum lx6s but from the photos I’ve seen the ducer hangs from a little arm off the unit. I would like to put the flasher up on a little table in the tent so we can all see it. Is there any way to do this with the marcum units? It looks like It would be easy with the vexilar floating transducer, any help from marcum users would be greatly appreciated thanks
just get a piece of pool noodle and cut a slit to the center, then just push your cord through the slit.  The point is just to get the ducer in the water so it hangs level, it doesn’t really need to be centered in the hole.

Offline Sandalsnsocks

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #323 on: Oct 26, 2018, 03:46 PM »
2 great ideas! Thanks guys
Easy does it.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.