The ice fishing Michigan board sponsored by:

Sponsor this board

Author Topic: Green propane tanks  (Read 2943 times)

Offline The Jigster

• IceShanty Rookie
Green propane tanks
« on: Jan 02, 2009, 12:42 PM »
My shanty heater and lantern both run on those small green propane tanks.  Like beer cans the empties are starting to pile up in my garage.  I know what to do with the beer cans but what do I do with the green tanks?  I would hate to just throw them away does anyone know were you can recycle them or return them or a good use for them?

Offline Lobes

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Just Fishin'
Re: Green propane tanks
« Reply #1 on: Jan 02, 2009, 12:53 PM »
I'm pretty sure they are steel so you colud check steel salvage yard. It would take a lot of them for you to make any money off them but at least they are in the right place for recycling.

:tipup:
NBG

Mecosta County / Lakeview, Michigan

Offline quivr

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • 25" PIKE 2 # line
« Reply #2 on: Jan 02, 2009, 01:04 PM »
Cabelas has a brass fitting for 19.00 so you can refill those 1# cans I do it all the time the coleman brand works best plus it is cheeper than buying new ones the fitting goes on your 20# gas grill tank the 20# needs to be room temp the 1# er needs to be colder I put them in the freezer for about 10 min. take out 1 @ a time turm the 20# upside down with the brass fitting on it screw the 1# er on open valve for 1 min the close valve unsrew in is ready do more it is great & cheep hope I could help good luk fishing    Quivr

Offline Boomer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Jan 02, 2009, 05:43 PM »
When you refill the one pound propane container do you feel like it is full and lasts about as long as a new cylinder? Does anyone use larger propane cyliners for your portable shanty? I mean like run both your heater and lantern off the same rig?

Offline joseyfish

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Jan 02, 2009, 06:04 PM »
I bought a re-filler but could never get them full.  however I have not tried to use cold ones I will have to try that.  The scrap yard does not take tanks it is to dangerous went they crush them.

Offline icecaptain

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Jan 02, 2009, 07:11 PM »
I know it is heavy but I just take along the 20# tank and heat all night long. ;D
"the worst day of fishing is always better than a great day at work"

Offline Higgins

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • WHAT EVER IT TAKES
« Reply #6 on: Jan 02, 2009, 07:14 PM »
I know it is heavy but I just take along the 20# tank and heat all night long. ;D

Same here, I just have my snowmobile do all the work  ;) .

Offline hardwaterfool

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Jan 03, 2009, 06:27 AM »
for about $50.00 you can buy a 11#  tank will run & hook up same way your 20#er does, I bought mine at JAY"S in Gaylord   and good camping store should have them, that will run my heater a good 6 to 8 hrs! ( and when heats done so am I >lol )  and here in Lewiston they only charge me $7.00 to fill it. I think thats cheaper & safer then trying to refill them green ones!!   

Offline ERIEDIVER

• IceShanty Rookie
  • JUST WISHING TO BE FISHING
« Reply #8 on: Jan 19, 2009, 12:30 PM »
hey Quivr, thank s for the tip,it works great.  I too had bought the fitting and had little to no success, after following your advise I was able to fill my tanks completely!!!!!

Tight lines

ERIEDIVER
LAKE ERIE SUNRISE OVER BREST BAY

Offline quivr

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • 25" PIKE 2 # line
« Reply #9 on: Jan 19, 2009, 03:49 PM »
You can even top off  1/2 full ones with that fitting from cabelas it does save a little & I like going out with full ones glad I could help . I filled some over the weekend it took 1 minn. to fill each one.

Offline podunk

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Jan 19, 2009, 06:17 PM »
You can take the empty tanks into the scrap yard. All you have to do is take a 22 or another gun and shoot holes in them first. once you do that then you can take them in. I do that all the time with my emptys.
US Marine Infantrymortarman

Offline ERIEDIVER

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Jan 19, 2009, 06:34 PM »
You could hear the tank topping off right at the one minute mark, I would recomend this to anybody who uses this type of tank.

ERIEDIVER

Offline Redbone

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Jan 19, 2009, 08:48 PM »
HOLD ON, HOLD, ON.... I just read on the back of my 1 lb. tank and it says "DO NOT REFILL"... "IT IS AGAINST STATE LAW TO TRANSPORT THESE TANKS IF THEY ARE REFILLED?" Read the back!  I have seen the refill adapters at gander mountain though. **censored**?
\"YOUR FLAG IS..... down!\"

Offline flagguy83

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • "LETS GO ICE FISHING"
« Reply #13 on: Jan 19, 2009, 08:56 PM »
HOLD ON, HOLD, ON.... I just read on the back of my 1 lb. tank and it says "DO NOT REFILL"... "IT IS AGAINST STATE LAW TO TRANSPORT THESE TANKS IF THEY ARE REFILLED?" Read the back!  I have seen the refill adapters at gander mountain though. **censored**?
they wont know if they are refilled. LOL ;D ::) For all the hassel I would just put a hole in them and scrap them

Offline Mr.Vexilar

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Jan 19, 2009, 09:29 PM »
Use em for target practise with just a little fuel left in em... Watch em go BANG... No i dont do that, just thought of the idea tho, might be kinda cool to watch.

Offline ih772

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Jan 19, 2009, 09:31 PM »
The "transport" that they are referring to is for commercial purposes. Its perfectly fine to refill them and transport for personal use. Use a scale when refilling them and measure how much you put into each one. If you put more than one pound in, bleed it off until its only holding one pound. If they are overfilled, liquid propane will come out the top into your lantern and things get crazy in a hurry. Been there done that.

Offline Adventurer79

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Jan 19, 2009, 11:48 PM »
CAUTION******************************CAUTION
Refilling can save some money if you do it right....... (((((IF!))))

Remember, Propane is a liquefied gas.  Like other gasses it expands when it warms.  That sound you hear when your tank is topping off may mean that you HAVE in fact filled your tank, leaving no room for the liquid to expand.  Propane tanks are equipped with a pressure relief valve.  The puprose of said valve being to "relieve pressure".  This can be an important thing to remember when filling / transporting tanks.  Should this valve discharge when inside a shanty / car / truck / garage, etc VERY BAD THINGS could happen.  (BOOM).  IF you fill always leave some vapor space for the liquid to expand.  If this relief valve is in the liquid portion of the tank and it discharges bad things become even worse. (Liquid propane means bad things will happen faster, and with more BOOM)
ALWAYS transport propane cylinders in the upright position and NEVER overfill. 

If you don't mind hauling them the 5 - 11 pounders are great.  If not I like the idea of savin up the empties for some summer plinkin.  (Also probably not very safe but I can live with it)

Be Safe, Have Fun,   

Offline camocrazy82

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Here Fishy, Fishy, Fishy!
« Reply #17 on: Jan 19, 2009, 11:57 PM »
 1 lbers make a great conversation peice in the summer while catfishing!

Offline frozengator

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #18 on: Jan 20, 2009, 01:16 AM »
Cabelas has a brass fitting for 19.00 so you can refill those 1# cans I do it all the time the coleman brand works best plus it is cheeper than buying new ones the fitting goes on your 20# gas grill tank the 20# needs to be room temp the 1# er needs to be colder I put them in the freezer for about 10 min. take out 1 @ a time turm the 20# upside down with the brass fitting on it screw the 1# er on open valve for 1 min the close valve unsrew in is ready do more it is great & cheep hope I could help good luk fishing    Quivr
I was wondering this myself thanks will try this.
Gator Nation

Offline Jiggin in Michigan

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hello...Is anyone down there?
« Reply #19 on: Jan 20, 2009, 05:46 AM »
If it takes one minute to fill it from a 20 lb tank I wonder how long it would take filling it from a 350 lb tank that is attached to the house?! :clap:

Offline Rip N Lips

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Jan 20, 2009, 07:02 AM »
for about $50.00 you can buy a 11#  tank will run & hook up same way your 20#er does, I bought mine at JAY"S in Gaylord   and good camping store should have them, that will run my heater a good 6 to 8 hrs! ( and when heats done so am I >lol )  and here in Lewiston they only charge me $7.00 to fill it. I think thats cheaper & safer then trying to refill them green ones!!   

I have a 7lb tank for my hardwater use.

Offline Rumrunner

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Awwwww, go for it.
« Reply #21 on: Jan 20, 2009, 07:55 AM »
If it takes one minute to fill it from a 20 lb tank I wonder how long it would take filling it from a 350 lb tank that is attached to the house?! :clap:

Is it a volume question?  Or a pressure question?  Either way, I think your propane guy would crap if he went to fill your tank and found "a little brass fitting from cabelas".  LMAO

M.I.R.C. 

Offline InTheRiver

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #22 on: Jan 20, 2009, 09:51 AM »
I'm pretty sure the 20# tanks are LOW pressure, isn't the LP going into your house high pressure? I was at TSC yesterday a looking at the LP fittings and hoses and noticed some were marked high pressure.

Offline Adventurer79

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #23 on: Jan 21, 2009, 08:40 AM »
PLEASE dont go messin with the tank in your yard.  Going to have a very hard time getting liquid out of it and might burn your house down in the process.  Leave it up to the pro's.  Propane is Propane, when it in the tank its under ALOT of pressure.  Thats why a gas that boils around -40 F can hang out in a liquid state. 

Offline Jiggin in Michigan

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hello...Is anyone down there?
« Reply #24 on: Jan 21, 2009, 09:02 AM »
PLEASE dont go messin with the tank in your yard.  Going to have a very hard time getting liquid out of it and might burn your house down in the process.  Leave it up to the pro's.  Propane is Propane, when it in the tank its under ALOT of pressure.  Thats why a gas that boils around -40 F can hang out in a liquid state. 

I was just trying to be funny.....I agree....Don't try to fill your empty 1lb tank from a 350lb tank in your yard.....Duh :o

Offline Mainehazmt

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #25 on: Jan 21, 2009, 09:07 AM »
it is gonna be hard to flip that 350 lber upside down!   unless near the bottom is a liquid port
I am a Veteran Not a Terrorist!

Offline fishhead16

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #26 on: Jan 21, 2009, 09:09 AM »
Oh......... so can I use my neighbors tank???
"TEAM STINKY PINKY"

Offline ih772

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #27 on: Jan 21, 2009, 01:28 PM »
Oh......... so can I use my neighbors tank???
Yes, using your neighbors tank would be much better.

Offline ERIEDIVER

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #28 on: Jan 21, 2009, 03:30 PM »
Now! Now! fishhead, that would incorrect! not better, just more economical. lol.

Offline chefsjw

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #29 on: Jan 21, 2009, 04:37 PM »
We use a fish scale when filling co2 tanks for paint ball guns, I would think you could do the same for propane tanks. does anyone know the proper weight when full? leaving room for expansion....

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.