The ice fishing Michigan board sponsored by:

Sponsor this board

Author Topic: Grand River bayous  (Read 4784 times)

Offline 10FrozenToes

• Team IceShanty Regular
Grand River bayous
« on: Dec 16, 2008, 11:33 PM »
Checked Lloyds today didn't check thickness because i was working and had sneakers on. The shore looked thin but looked thicker out from shore a ways.
    I have never fished any of the bayous are they any good and which is best on ice.
Stearns, Lloyds, Petty's, Smith, or Bruce
   I have heard of a lot of spearing stories from on them.
Please let me know before i waste the whole winter out there?

Offline Rip N Lips

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Grand River bayous
« Reply #1 on: Dec 17, 2008, 07:05 AM »
I have run the Grand for 16yrs. Beware of all river ice one day is will do the next day not. I have seen ice 4ft thick on the river in spots drive the boat right on it an drill ya holes. Spearing stories of the past will get some to risk life for a fish. Travel light tie off to shore bring a friend. I went out of the boat in feb with a good ice flow had to swim the boat to shore to get out an back in the boat. Good rain wear will help you stay dry. Once back in the boat i was able to run the rest of the day not 3 cups of water got in. Dry an warm ready to fish.

Offline 53andout

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Time spent fishing is not deducted from the total
« Reply #2 on: Dec 17, 2008, 09:28 AM »
Why would you want to fish the Grand? Catch & Release is one thing, but spearing???? Aren't all of the health advisories of conceren? There are plenty of other lakes in the Grand Rapids West Michigan area that have good pike populations where the fish is really safe to eat.

Checked Lloyds today didn't check thickness because i was working and had sneakers on. The shore looked thin but looked thicker out from shore a ways.
    I have never fished any of the bayous are they any good and which is best on ice.
Stearns, Lloyds, Petty's, Smith, or Bruce
   I have heard of a lot of spearing stories from on them.
Please let me know before i waste the whole winter out there?
Bruster

Offline Rip N Lips

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Dec 17, 2008, 11:29 AM »
If you think about it the river has new water flowing every day. Were your (Better lakes) are filling up with yard fertilizers ect an farm waste run off then it goes right to your fish that you eat.  We have over 250 miles of prime fishing with the largest stocking program in the state. check the web DNR Stocking reports MUCC Health Dept.
The more the lake shore fills with housing the more CIT in the water the better your fish will taste.

My 2 cents worth

Now wheres then green eyes toxic fish hiding

Offline 53andout

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Dec 17, 2008, 12:18 PM »
I'll maintain, when you read stuff like this it's time to find a better place to fish. 70 Million gallons of sewage, thats gotta makem tasty :cookoo:

No body contact advisory issued for areas along Grand River
Posted by The Grand Rapids Press July 03, 2008 14:00PM
Categories: Breaking News
GRAND RAPIDS -- Health Departments officials are asking people to avoid body contact with the Grand River from the Wealthy Street Bridge, through Ottawa County, all the way to Lake Michigan after sewage overflow spilled into the river.

Approximately 70 million gallons of sewage made it into the river in several locations, including the Market Avenue retention basin.

The Kent and Ottawa County Health Departments will be collecting samples from the Grand River to test for E. Coli bacteria on July 7.

Officials suggest caution with any surface water after heavy rainfall, which could be contaminated from a variety of sources.

If you think about it the river has new water flowing every day. Were your (Better lakes) are filling up with yard fertilizers ect an farm waste run off then it goes right to your fish that you eat.  We have over 250 miles of prime fishing with the largest stocking program in the state. check the web DNR Stocking reports MUCC Health Dept.
The more the lake shore fills with housing the more CIT in the water the better your fish will taste.

My 2 cents worth

Now wheres then green eyes toxic fish hiding

Bruster

Offline superslabs

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Dec 17, 2008, 02:32 PM »
Why would you want to fish the Grand? Catch & Release is one thing, but spearing???? Aren't all of the health advisories of concern? There are plenty of other lakes in the Grand Rapids West Michigan area that have good pike populations where the fish is really safe to eat.

Are you sure you know what you are talking about? If you check the DNR's consumption report there are no heath concerns for men. Many inland lake are far worse off than the Grand. How about Lake Michigan would you eat fish from there?  The reason for health advisories is for virus concerns.  They dump crap in the fields where your vegtables come from. Maybe we should just eat tofu. As for the ice, the river came up and flooded the shoreline. I don,t think the muddy water from the river made it into most of the bayou's. The bayous are like most lakes be carefull first and last ice. I made it out last week once be for the warm up. Have not had time to check this week. The shore ice will be bad for some time, were sapposed to get a bunch more snow. 
The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of what is elusive but attainable, a perpetual series of occasions for hope.

Offline 53andout

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Dec 17, 2008, 03:43 PM »

......making an argument to eat fish out of the Grand Rapids' sewer overflow. OK, Good fishing......

Are you sure you know what you are talking about? If you check the DNR's consumption report there are no heath concerns for men. Many inland lake are far worse off than the Grand. How about Lake Michigan would you eat fish from there?  The reason for health advisories is for virus concerns.  They dump crap in the fields where your vegtables come from. Maybe we should just eat tofu. As for the ice, the river came up and flooded the shoreline. I don,t think the muddy water from the river made it into most of the bayou's. The bayous are like most lakes be carefull first and last ice. I made it out last week once be for the warm up. Have not had time to check this week. The shore ice will be bad for some time, were sapposed to get a bunch more snow. 
Bruster

Offline Mr.Vexilar

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Dec 17, 2008, 04:00 PM »
Never fished them myself during ice... Fished em quite a bit open water bass tournys.  Heard a few do well on panfish right underneath of the bridge in stearns.

Offline Rip N Lips

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Dec 17, 2008, 05:03 PM »
So your saying ALL rivers are Toxic from the waste over spill? This is Great News Every one should stay clear of all Michigan waters there Toxic.. Look at ever town were are the waste water treatment plants on the rivers to shed there waste over flow.  Peeps don't eat the Fish Don't eat the Veggies Hey them vows pigs are walking in there crap Don't eat them....Crack me up that some think they know what there talking about. :clap: Please don't fish from the rivers there Toxic :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Offline frostbit

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Dec 17, 2008, 05:23 PM »
Hi, New here. First post.
I grew up fishing the Grand. 40+ years. The bayous drain into the Grand, They act more like lakes. I nwon't eat anything but steelhead out of the Grand, but i think the panfish are good to eat in the cleaner bayous. They are all a little different. Spring Lake is probly the most polluted becouse of all the houses on it like many lakes around Grand Rapids for example and Stearns is one of the cleanest becouse of good inflow of water at the back end and not many houses on it. I don't think many of the eating fish leave the bayous to go swim around in the dirty river. Stearns is the perfect example, lots of nice green eared sunfish and i can't recall ever catching a green eared sunfish in the other bayous.

Offline sheephead higgy

• IceShanty Rookie
  • git' on up here flat nose!
« Reply #10 on: Dec 17, 2008, 07:01 PM »
Been fishing the bayous for 9 years now, summer and winter.  Never had a bad gill yet.  Millhouse, sterns and little robinson all are great fishing on the right days.  Don't let any one tell you any different.  As Frostbit stated Fresh water is constantly flowing through and empties into the grand.  Or at least as fresh as anywhere else.   :)

Offline Mr.Vexilar

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Dec 17, 2008, 10:18 PM »
Im with Rip N lips!! Stay off the rivers! They're toxic! :o

Offline superslabs

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Dec 18, 2008, 07:34 PM »
Mr. Vexilar is right about Rip n Lips being right about those rivers. I think everyone should stay away from them!
The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of what is elusive but attainable, a perpetual series of occasions for hope.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.