The ice fishing Michigan board sponsored by:

Sponsor this board

Author Topic: Chum  (Read 2297 times)

Offline jodeew1004

• Team IceShanty Regular
Chum
« on: Feb 17, 2013, 04:06 PM »
Took all the leftover minnows from the other night ran them through the blender then poured that in a nylon stuck it in the freezer can't wait to see if the chum helps next time we crappie fish
Flag up!!

Offline pastaboy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • FISH - ON!
Re: Chum
« Reply #1 on: Feb 17, 2013, 04:59 PM »
I hope that works! You will have to keep us posted. By the way, how does the blender smell??  :tipup:

Offline Capt J

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Feb 17, 2013, 05:04 PM »
I hope that works! You will have to keep us posted. By the way, how does the blender smell??  :tipup:

:roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:

Offline frostbit

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Feb 17, 2013, 05:05 PM »
Hope no CO's stop by.

Offline Capt J

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Feb 17, 2013, 05:08 PM »
Hope no CO's stop by.

Dang another buzz killer  ;D

Offline jodeew1004

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Feb 17, 2013, 05:10 PM »
Is that not legal??  I just assumed it would be fine
Flag up!!

Offline jodeew1004

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Feb 17, 2013, 05:12 PM »
. Gave my wife's smoothie a little extra flavor.  Jk glass blender so should be fine
Flag up!!

Offline delta9

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • hard water is great
« Reply #7 on: Feb 17, 2013, 05:14 PM »
Is that not legal??  I just assumed it would be fine
I was gonna try it too. So am curious if its legal.
:icefish:

Offline frostbit

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Feb 17, 2013, 07:12 PM »
I think I was wrong. I was always told chumming was illeagle but after some searching I found this.

But the most common complaint brought up in e-mails, on various Web postings and through other contacts and correspondence is that the order "bans" chumming.

This statement is not accurate.

In fact, the issue of chumming, defined as throwing bait -- any type of bait -- into the water to get fish to feed, was specifically and intentionally omitted from the order.

"We carefully crafted the wording in General Provision 17 to ensure chumming was not banned," said Jim Dexter, the DNR's Lake Michigan Basin coordinato
r.

I found this here.
http://www.michigan.gov/dnr/0,1607,7-153--172375--,00.html

So I think the people that told me that were talking about fish eggs and VHS.

Offline JDthree

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Feb 18, 2013, 07:02 AM »
I believe you can chum, but not with fish parts. Ground waxies would be fine, the groundbait that you can purchase is ok too.

Offline tim carr

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Feb 18, 2013, 07:29 AM »
I like to use a little canned cat food the fish flavored type. It has oil and makes a cloud in the hole. The cans are super cheap at the dollar store too.

Offline smeltbuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Feb 18, 2013, 03:59 PM »
I like to use a little canned cat food the fish flavored type. It has oil and makes a cloud in the hole. The cans are super cheap at the dollar store too.
Tried it Sat. night,it seemed to help. Family Dollar,about .50 a can.Poked a bunch of holes in the bottom & attached a string & a really strong magnet to it.I had a few people ask me what I was doin.......told em I was catfishin! I got the idea here,on another thread.
"Yes officer, my chocolate lab did shoot me,with my brothers 12 gauge"!  11-8-87,true story!          "Sorry were late mom,Chris & me just got done with a cow hunt,we each got a big black Angus with our muzzleloaders"!  (the Christmas eve cow hunt w/ my son; 2004 !

Offline spy1o1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Feb 18, 2013, 08:23 PM »
The only problem I see with grinding up minnows is with the VHS regulations. A CO might want to be able to identify the type of minnows you have to make sure it isn't a susceptible fish species or if it is, that you have your receipt.

Offline bigfisher95

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Walleye Willie
« Reply #13 on: Feb 19, 2013, 09:30 AM »
I use bread ball some small pieces so they sink and toss some ripped up pieces to float they will sink eventually this works good for me

Offline carbidemanfishing

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Feb 19, 2013, 12:01 PM »
I use bread ball some small pieces so they sink and toss some ripped up pieces to float they will sink eventually this works good for me

Do you use breadballs for your bait also or just to chum?

Offline bigfisher95

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Walleye Willie
« Reply #15 on: Feb 20, 2013, 01:34 PM »
Do you use breadballs for your bait also or just to chum?
just to chum they fall apart to easily.

Offline danakaiggy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Feb 21, 2013, 03:39 AM »
If you are not using a fishfinder.  Try what my grandfather did use the sawdust that comes with wax worms or your maggots...   it works great... I think they just see stuff falling and come to see what it is. 

Offline Jim_MI

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Feb 24, 2013, 08:13 AM »
If you are not using a fishfinder.  Try what my grandfather did use the sawdust that comes with wax worms or your maggots...   it works great... I think they just see stuff falling and come to see what it is.
If wood floats, why would sawdust sink? Sounds like a good way to make a mess of your hole.
I once tried lowering a can of sardines down on a string. Bad idea. The oil that the sardines were packed in floated up and contaminated the nearby holes, coating lines and jigs as they were pulled up. Everything came home coated in oil and stinking like sardines!

Offline sweetdad040

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • The second mouse gets the cheeze!!!!
« Reply #18 on: Feb 24, 2013, 08:35 AM »
How about cheap fish food flakes/pellets. Seems like that should ring the dinner bell.

Offline smeltbuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Feb 24, 2013, 11:52 AM »
If wood floats, why would sawdust sink? Sounds like a good way to make a mess of your hole.
I once tried lowering a can of sardines down on a string. Bad idea. The oil that the sardines were packed in floated up and contaminated the nearby holes, coating lines and jigs as they were pulled up. Everything came home coated in oil and stinking like sardines!
I did the same thing w/ sardines 1 time;BAD IDEA  :woot:
"Yes officer, my chocolate lab did shoot me,with my brothers 12 gauge"!  11-8-87,true story!          "Sorry were late mom,Chris & me just got done with a cow hunt,we each got a big black Angus with our muzzleloaders"!  (the Christmas eve cow hunt w/ my son; 2004 !

Offline pastaboy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • FISH - ON!
« Reply #20 on: Feb 25, 2013, 05:43 AM »
I tried the bread crumb trick this weekend, did not notice any difference with the fish, they were pretty tight lipped Sunday! I will still try it in the future though, any edge we can get on these tight lipped buggers is always a help.

Offline thomascook4

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Feb 25, 2013, 06:28 AM »
I did the same thing w/ sardines 1 time;BAD IDEA  :woot:

:roflmao:  :roflmao: I use them in the winter... trapping coons  :roflmao:
"i like fish more than i like people"

"if fish are smarter than people, why do we catch them?"

Offline bigfisher95

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Walleye Willie
« Reply #22 on: Feb 25, 2013, 03:29 PM »
I tried the bread crumb trick this weekend, did not notice any difference with the fish, they were pretty tight lipped Sunday! I will still try it in the future though, any edge we can get on these tight lipped buggers is always a help.
use pieces of bread balled up not bread crumbs

Offline pastaboy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • FISH - ON!
« Reply #23 on: Feb 25, 2013, 07:46 PM »
use pieces of bread balled up not bread crumbs
I will try that, the crumbs lit my flasher up like a Christmas tree! One guy looked at my flasher and thought I happened on to the mother load of stacked fish.  :roflmao: Thanks for the info!

Offline bigfisher95

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Walleye Willie
« Reply #24 on: Feb 25, 2013, 08:00 PM »
I will try that, the crumbs lit my flasher up like a Christmas tree! One guy looked at my flasher and thought I happened on to the mother load of stacked fish.  :roflmao: Thanks for the info!
no problem  they fall to the bottom really quick

Offline pastaboy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • FISH - ON!
« Reply #25 on: Feb 25, 2013, 08:10 PM »
no problem  they fall to the bottom really quick
How many bread balls do you take with you for the day?

Offline bigfisher95

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Walleye Willie
« Reply #26 on: Feb 26, 2013, 12:31 AM »
I usually just bring 2 or 3 pieces of bread and break them in different sizes on the ice smush them with your fingers really tight without water and drop em down

Offline bigfisher95

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Walleye Willie
« Reply #27 on: Feb 26, 2013, 12:33 AM »
keep them smaller just a bit bigger than your jig

Offline pastaboy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • FISH - ON!
« Reply #28 on: Feb 26, 2013, 05:40 AM »
keep them smaller just a bit bigger than your jig
Thanks bigfisher! I was breaking off little pieces of my sandwich and dropping them in the water and I think that kept them in the area where I was fishing. I did not have to move too much but they were pretty tight lipped Sunday. I ended up with 5-keepers and a lot of little ones. I will give the bread ball trick another try this weekend. Thanks again for your help. Tight lines bro!  :tipup:

Offline dgb

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Gill Time!
« Reply #29 on: Feb 26, 2013, 08:44 AM »
I have used tuna as chum for smelt.....quit doing that when I could see smelt down my hole and not pay any attention to the flakes of tuna seeking down the hole. So I am not convinced this works

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.