The ice fishing Michigan board sponsored by:

Sponsor this board

Author Topic: Portage Lake  (Read 2603 times)

Offline Jig_Head

• Team IceShanty Addict
Portage Lake
« on: Feb 02, 2013, 02:56 AM »
Was thinking about making a trip here, never been before. Anybody have ice conditions or tips theyre willing to share? Looking for perch. Any help would be appreciated. PMs welcome, thanks
When hell freezes over ill ice fish there too!

Offline swampbuckster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I.S. FOR LIFE! <(((((><|
Re: Portage Lake
« Reply #1 on: Feb 02, 2013, 04:18 AM »
Which one of 300?
You may call me crazy, but crazy catches fish!

Offline Fishurman63

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Feb 02, 2013, 06:45 AM »
my thoughts exactly..... In Waterloo, Onekama?

Offline rteague982

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Feb 02, 2013, 03:29 PM »
Also would like to know about portage in
Onakema! How's the perch bite and snow and slush
On the ice

Offline Jig_Head

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Feb 02, 2013, 04:48 PM »
Sorry the one in Onekema. Northwest michigan

Offline giller

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Gillin' for fun!
« Reply #5 on: Feb 02, 2013, 06:00 PM »
Crappiehunter, I'm from NW Ind too. Heading up that way Tuesday morning. Might try Manistee lake too. Maybe we can share some info!

Offline lakeeffect

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Feb 02, 2013, 06:12 PM »
Just came off the ice about 1 hour ago. Found a good 8" of ice as far west as the 50' FOW out in the center of the lake. I was told there was as little as 4" out by the outlet, I didn't go that far west. About 4" to 5" of snow on the lake. The dink perch are taking over had to do a lot of sorting. Quads and sleds are running all over the lake. Going back out tomorrow morning. Lakeeffect

Offline giller

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Gillin' for fun!
« Reply #7 on: Feb 02, 2013, 06:38 PM »
Thanks Lakeeffect

Offline rteague982

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Feb 02, 2013, 06:42 PM »
Thanks for the report think I might give her a try
Friday morning. Never fished here before how far
Of a walk out to the deep water? My fishing buddy
Is a real big guy so long distance walks are not in his play
Book lol should I bring a snowmibile? But would rather not with
The price of gas coming from Gaylord but if I had too I would. We will
Be targeting perch and tip ups for what ever bites. Where would the best
Place to get on at and shortest walking distence to good perch grounds

Offline Threefish

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Feb 02, 2013, 09:22 PM »
I would bring the snowmobile. If you want to fish the deeper water its a half mile walk and there is 5" of snow on the ice with more coming. The snowmobile will make moving around easier and hauling gear a lot easier. The access in town is the best to put in. Good Luck!!
I have two fishing buddy's that know all my secrets. But they wont tell all they do is wag there tails.

Offline Jig_Head

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Feb 02, 2013, 11:20 PM »
Crappiehunter, I'm from NW Ind too. Heading up that way Tuesday morning. Might try Manistee lake too. Maybe we can share some info!
Awesome! Yeah thatd be great. I dont have a snowmobile or quad so id also need a spot with a short walking distance. Thanks for all the help guys!

Offline lakeeffect

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Feb 03, 2013, 01:36 PM »
I came off at noon. Caught a few good perch. I was in 18' FOW and its about 200 yards off Portage Point road. They let you park along the side of the road. Park where the cars are. If you want to fish the center of the lake the 50' depth it's about a good 1/2 mile out there or if you park at the boat launch in town its a good mile and a half. They got an additional 4" to 5" last night and it was still coming down hard when I left the lake. I will be going back up this next week end. Lakeeffect

Offline Tree Toad

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Feb 03, 2013, 01:57 PM »
This is a cut and paste from the Pilgrim Village fishing report I received today (2-3-13)
Dan Osborn from Osborn’s Bait in Bear Lake called today and said they are having one of the best perch bites in years on Portage Lake with limit catches and many are saying they are running 10 to 12 inches. They are running quads and snowmobiles on the lake and perch are from Onekema to the channel in 25 foot of water. Pike and walleye fishing has been good also.

Offline Jig_Head

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Feb 03, 2013, 02:25 PM »
Ok so it is deeper water fishing then? 18 to 25 foot? I wasnt sure if it was like Saginaw Bay fishing or not. I went there last year and was sight fishing 3 to 4ft of water

Offline Threefish

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Feb 03, 2013, 10:56 PM »
lakeeffect  is right on. Its a accurate report I have four buddys fish it everyday or when weather permits and they all say the same thing.
I have two fishing buddy's that know all my secrets. But they wont tell all they do is wag there tails.

Offline rteague982

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Feb 04, 2013, 11:13 AM »
I seen on the lake map there is a launch
On the far NW side of the lake I think it is a park
How is the ice over there and it looks like a closer walk to
The deeper water any info on this side of the lake

Offline terry fish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Feb 04, 2013, 12:16 PM »
Fished there on sat for the whole day, launched from the city park in town on the north east end of the lake.  started shallow in 7ft water, saw a large northern and some small perch.  Form there i walked out to 21ft of water using the trails others had made with their machines, it was probably about a 1/2 mile walk or so.  The bite was slow unless ya like 3 inchers, then at night fall I picked up 4-10in perch in 15min then it was over, I stayed out till after 7 jigging for walleye with no success. I was told be an in-law relative of mine who lives up there and fishes it quite often that I needed to get into 40 to 50 ft of water for the good perch but the walk was too far with all my gear. Hope this helps, good luck and post back how ya did.   
Fish on !

Offline hoody25

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Feb 07, 2013, 05:54 PM »
Looking for some more info on this lake making the trip next weekend
Pm welcome

Offline Fishurman63

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #18 on: Feb 07, 2013, 06:41 PM »
If you go in at the city park launch stay to the right and go just a couple hundered yards there starts a nice weed bed and it actually runs over to the point.

Offline hoody25

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Feb 07, 2013, 06:45 PM »
That's a start thanks for the info, I have never been on the lake before

Offline Fishurman63

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #20 on: Feb 07, 2013, 06:50 PM »
I was on a pike tournament there in 2010 I think it was and we came in third 3rd.  We found our biggest pike in the weed beds over by where the catamaran is anchored...but that won't help you today :)  A really nice weed bed tho if you stay on the north side before the point. 

Offline waterwolf42

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Feb 08, 2013, 07:38 PM »
I live right in town and fish the lake often....if anyone wants info, pm me and I will be more than happy to give you detailed info about any fish species in the lake.  Been fishing the lake for over 30 years.
rippin' lips one fish at a time 

Offline lakeeffect

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #22 on: Feb 09, 2013, 03:40 PM »
Water Wolf, how did it go today. I was out at 7:30 and left the ice at almost 4pm. We didn't do real good only had about 3 that were over 10", the remainder were all in the 8" to 9" range and they were few and far between. Caught enough little ones that we could have put them end to end and reached shore. Set up in the 18' FOW off Portage point road near Little Eden. It has started to get slushy in spots. It will be 3 weeks before I get back up, sure hope the ice holds out. Lakeeffect

Offline waterwolf42

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Feb 10, 2013, 06:59 PM »
Water Wolf, how did it go today. I was out at 7:30 and left the ice at almost 4pm. We didn't do real good only had about 3 that were over 10", the remainder were all in the 8" to 9" range and they were few and far between. Caught enough little ones that we could have put them end to end and reached shore. Set up in the 18' FOW off Portage point road near Little Eden. It has started to get slushy in spots. It will be 3 weeks before I get back up, sure hope the ice holds out. Lakeeffect

I actually stayed away from Portage this weekend.....looked like there was a lot of traffic and fishermen out there.  I hit Bear Lake and took a few pike there, then headed up to Crystal Lake and fished perch and whitefish.  The perch was few and far between in the area I was fishing as well, but did manage to get about a dozen from 8 to 10 inches, with one 13.  My lantern quit on me so I was not able to stay too long for the whitefish bite, but did get 2 before dark. 

Offline rteague982

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #24 on: Feb 11, 2013, 11:35 AM »
I never made it over there last Friday but I have all next
Week off work and would like to spend a few days fishing
The lake is there any motel or hotel on the lake with lake access
Right from the door with snowmobile or would I have to trailer over
To the launch every day

Offline waterwolf42

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Feb 11, 2013, 05:32 PM »
I never made it over there last Friday but I have all next
Week off work and would like to spend a few days fishing
The lake is there any motel or hotel on the lake with lake access
Right from the door with snowmobile or would I have to trailer over
To the launch every day

There is nothing right on the lake.  The few hotels in the area are off the water.  You will have to trailer your sled and gear. 

Offline ICEPERCH24

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #26 on: Feb 13, 2013, 11:01 AM »
Anybody know how the ice held up and if its still good to run a sled on? Heading up Saturday and any help would be great. Thanks in advance  :)

Offline Threefish

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #27 on: Feb 13, 2013, 12:43 PM »
Anybody know how the ice held up and if its still good to run a sled on? Heading up Saturday and any help would be great. Thanks in advance  :)

There still running sleds and quads on the ice.

Offline ICEPERCH24

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #28 on: Feb 13, 2013, 04:02 PM »
Thanks threefish for the help.

Offline waterwolf42

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #29 on: Feb 13, 2013, 07:13 PM »
There is a local tournament going on this weekend, so it may be crowded out there.....just fyi

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.