The ice fishing Michigan board sponsored by:

Sponsor this board

Author Topic: Man through the ice this am!  (Read 2986 times)

Offline dgb

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Gill Time!
Man through the ice this am!
« on: Jan 14, 2012, 08:49 AM »
Got dressed in the ice fishing gear to check the ice and maybe get on. Show up to the lake and there are about 5 others guys that that had checked the ice. Grabbed my spud and two pokes and it went through. There was a slushey layer on the ice with it slush being partially forze and there was only maybe a1.5 inches under that and I said no way for me.

The others guys decided to go. So i decided to watch from shore as they went out. Three of them take of together across the ice with the biggest guy leading the way. They get out to the area they wanted to fish and the biggest guy drills a hole and then goes thruough the ice in about 25ft of water Two other smaller guys out there did have a rope. The guy that went through was able to role up on the ice and crawl away from where he went through. He then finally stands up and goes through again. This went on for a while with the guy going through maybe 4 more times trying to get off the ice each time he stood up. They did get the rope around the guy and stayed back as he still struggled to stay on top the ice. Finally emptied out my jet sled and another guy took it out to the other guys with the rope who then pushed it out to the guy that went through. He then rolled into the sled and the others finally pulled him to shore.

Well glad all ended well and he was safe

Be safe guys and use caution!

Offline C P

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hold my beer and watch this
Re: Man through the ice this am!
« Reply #1 on: Jan 14, 2012, 09:01 AM »
It just doesnt make any sense...Glad you made the right choice to wait.
I caught a fish once! 

TEAM MITTEN

"EDITED"

Offline pzoch

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Jan 14, 2012, 09:06 AM »
We all want to get out there. We will, just have to be patient
in just a few days I think we will be fine.Not worth dieing over.

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #3 on: Jan 14, 2012, 09:07 AM »
well you just made my decision.. im not checking any ice today.

Offline BONECRUSHER

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • I LOVE TO GET IT WET
« Reply #4 on: Jan 14, 2012, 09:14 AM »
Impatience will get the best of us, especially with such late ice  :( Give it time guys ....... BE SAFE... YOU ALL HAVE FAMILIES  ;D Glad to hear everyone made it off

Offline princecraft

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #5 on: Jan 14, 2012, 09:32 AM »
WOW, very scary situation.  Glad to see you stayed on shore.  Glad to see he finally made it off the lake and hope he is OK.  Continue to stay safe.
Fisherman's Prayer
   I pray that I may live to fish
          Until my dying day.
And when it comes to my last cast,
       I then most humbly pray:
When in the Lord's great landing net
           And peacefully asleep,
      That in His mercy I be Judged
              BIG ENOUGH TO KEEP.

Offline Martian

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Jan 14, 2012, 10:01 AM »
 I want to hire that big dude!!  The dumbest thing I think I have ever seen was 2 years ago, last ice, at ind. bridge. I got there, everyone was sort of close to shore, a youg man says " I wouldn't go to far out if I was you, so I sat down sort of next to him. Pretty soon, here come 2 dummies, no cold wheather clothing, bottle in paper bag, we tell them the same thing. The dumber of the 2 walks out to the middle, starts jumping up and down, and says to the smarter,( 50 ft behind him), "it's okay". We sat and laughed , and I told my new fishin buddy that was most idiotic testing of ice I have ever witnessed. I also said what does an ice tester pay?

Offline Gills-only

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When hell freezes over, I'll ice fish there too!!
« Reply #7 on: Jan 14, 2012, 10:03 AM »
  Got out there and DRILLED a hole, I guess should of had a spud and maybe he wouldn't have went that far

Offline captain54

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Jan 14, 2012, 10:07 AM »
Glad it turned out ok,could have been a tragedy. Please wait till the ice is right and may we all have a SAFE YEAR AND LIVE TO FISH ANOTHER.

Offline ship of fools

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Jan 14, 2012, 10:36 AM »
Through in two pokes and i am with you ......   on land!
Goin' where the wind don't blow so strange,
Maybe off on some high cold mountain chain.

surflizard

« Reply #10 on: Jan 14, 2012, 10:51 AM »
Here on the shanty between the US and Canada, there have been a over a dozen drowning reported !! Is there a trophy fish out there that is worth making a family member go to the Coroners office to Identify a body, I Highly Doubt it !!
  The really scary part was that there was a person here on the shanty recently, I use the term loosely, who openly admitted to going out on 2 inches of ice and fell thru repeatedly ! Despite the Numerous sincere warning, he said he didn't care and Then advised people in his area that the ice was Safe to fish on !! Sorry for the rant folks, but this subject hits too close to home having lost 2 life long friends to bad ice, I consider behavior like the above mentioned group, Idiotic and Stupid !!

Surf

Offline BONECRUSHER

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • I LOVE TO GET IT WET
« Reply #11 on: Jan 14, 2012, 10:56 AM »
SO TRUE ...........

Offline SouthBend

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Jan 14, 2012, 12:06 PM »
Stay off the ice if it isn't safe. And if you do go through, don't stand up once you get back on the ice. Roll or crawl off the ice. Whatever it takes to distribute your weight over a larger area. I'm definitely putting more rope on my sled this year. Hope it never gets used.

Offline dgb

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Gill Time!
« Reply #13 on: Jan 14, 2012, 04:58 PM »
I want to hire that big dude!!  The dumbest thing I think I have ever seen was 2 years ago, last ice, at ind. bridge. I got there, everyone was sort of close to shore, a youg man says " I wouldn't go to far out if I was you, so I sat down sort of next to him. Pretty soon, here come 2 dummies, no cold wheather clothing, bottle in paper bag, we tell them the same thing. The dumber of the 2 walks out to the middle, starts jumping up and down, and says to the smarter,( 50 ft behind him), "it's okay". We sat and laughed , and I told my new fishin buddy that was most idiotic testing of ice I have ever witnessed. I also said what does an ice tester pay?
Funny you say that....this guy sort of bounced on the ice in a couple of spots as I was watching them walk out. I then seen one of the guys behind him that had a spud after they where out there a 100 hundred yards or say my spud just went through with one chop and the guy that fell through I heard say it is getting softer out here

He did role and crawl as much as he could I believe when he got out but he had no gloves on and I think his hands had to be frooze to the point he could not keep them in the snow any longer. Really thought he was safe towards the end he walked about 50 yards after going through already about 5 times and then went through again. Thats when the sled went out and he rolled into it and they pulled him to safety. I was worried that the other two guys out there where going to end up in the drink like him but they never did thank god

Offline Fishurman63

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Jan 14, 2012, 06:24 PM »
that is why you put a couple bags of Walleye in the freezer......for times like these when you can't get out!!  BE SAFE ALL!

Offline wax_worm

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Right out of my ice hole!
« Reply #15 on: Jan 14, 2012, 07:10 PM »
That guy must have been huge compared to the other 2 if they stayed on top and he kept busting thru.  Sometimes you just can't fix stupid.

Offline cold carpenter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Jan 14, 2012, 07:15 PM »
That is just crazy! Glad everyone got back to shore. I took a short drive this morning but didn't bother getting out of the truck. Either I could see open water, or see where someone had checked recently, and no one on ice. So I came home to build a couple tip downs instead!
 With as cold as it has been, I will more than likely spud test tomorrow morning, but I don't have my hopes up of fishing.

Stay safe all!

Offline Incogneato

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Jan 14, 2012, 07:20 PM »
  Is anyone surprised?   Glad he made it back to land safe, hopefully he learned a valuable lesson.

Offline Capt J

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Jan 14, 2012, 07:44 PM »
Not to be mean, Im glad the dudes fine and it could happen to any of us but really....stupid  is as stupid does Just sayin

Offline cold carpenter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Jan 14, 2012, 08:49 PM »
Not to be mean, Im glad the dudes fine and it could happen to any of us but really....stupid  is as stupid does Just sayin

I 100% agree! A couple guys I work with seems to have this unspoken contest about who will be the first on the ice. You can just see the competition between them over it. Why do people feel they have to be the first?

Offline icemantwo

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #20 on: Jan 14, 2012, 08:58 PM »
Sounds like the big guy was the human spud today!
A day without fishing is a day wasted.

Offline Martian

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #21 on: Jan 14, 2012, 11:54 PM »
  I guess I must confess, that I don't know how to read ice, however, I use a spud, and I am NOT the first guy on the ice or the last off

Offline Fishurman63

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #22 on: Jan 15, 2012, 07:45 AM »
2 kinds of fishermen, the leaders and the followers....with that being said make the right choice on early ice!

Offline Lobes

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Just Fishin'
« Reply #23 on: Jan 15, 2012, 07:47 AM »
After that bad of a struggle to get back safely it's not likely he or any of his buddies will make that mistake again. This is a good example of what makes patience a well rewarded virtue.

:tipup:
NBG

Mecosta County / Lakeview, Michigan

Offline Machine

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Jan 15, 2012, 09:44 AM »
HARD TO BELIEVE HIS BUDDIES WOULD STAND THERE TOGETHER. IF SOMEONE GOES IN, THE LAST THING I WANT TO SEE IS SOMEONE NEAR ME.
Life is tough, Its tougher when you're stupid

Offline RussianBear

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #25 on: Jan 15, 2012, 09:52 AM »
Stay off the ice if it isn't safe. And if you do go through, don't stand up once you get back on the ice. Roll or crawl off the ice. Whatever it takes to distribute your weight over a larger area. I'm definitely putting more rope on my sled this year. Hope it never gets used.

Thats what ive done this year to my sled, got 25 foot rope, in case someone goes under.

Offline chfishon

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When hell freezes over i will ice fish there to...
« Reply #26 on: Jan 15, 2012, 09:55 AM »
Sounds like the big guy was the human spud today!
:clap: :clap:
FISH ON

Offline GolDangitImissedim

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #27 on: Jan 15, 2012, 10:24 AM »
Thats what ive done this year to my sled, got 25 foot rope, in case someone goes under.

makes me nervous just readin about it.  Stupid question maybe but i'd rather be stupid now than out on the ice when it really counts.  What's the best way to help someone with your rope and sled setup?  Throw the rope first and you either hold rope from your end or they pull the sled to them to help keep them afloat or try pushing the sled to them first?

sure glad i got floating arctic armor suit.
There's no better time to be happy than right now.  If not now, when?  You may not be able to wait that long.

Offline SkiSoloII

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #28 on: Jan 15, 2012, 12:07 PM »
2 kinds of fishermen, the leaders and the followers....with that being said make the right choice on early ice!

That's why there's fewer leaders than followers! :cookoo:

Offline ship of fools

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #29 on: Jan 16, 2012, 07:51 AM »

I put a boat fender on the end of mine ......   makes it easier to throw long distances and it floats
Goin' where the wind don't blow so strange,
Maybe off on some high cold mountain chain.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.