The ice fishing Michigan board sponsored by:

Sponsor this board

Author Topic: Safe fishing  (Read 1460 times)

Offline Machine

• Team IceShanty Regular
Safe fishing
« on: Jan 04, 2012, 03:09 PM »
What thickness of ice is the least you will fish on?  I had a sight one time that listed the safness for people all the way up to trucks but don't remember where I saw it.
Life is tough, Its tougher when you're stupid

Offline Beets

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • If you don't like the way I fish,stay away from me
Re: Safe fishing
« Reply #1 on: Jan 04, 2012, 03:30 PM »
Personally, I like at least three +inches. Thats me, walking all my gear and a friend.. If I'm not sure, i drill every few feet. The chart can be misleading under variable conditions such as cold/warm days and channels........Be safe!  http://www.dnr.state.mn.us/safety/ice/thickness.html
....<°)))))>{
<°)))))>{
        <°)))))>{

Offline icemantwo

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Jan 04, 2012, 05:44 PM »
I will fish on 2 inches as long as it is good solid clear ice and I know the body of water well. Make sure you bring safety gear such as picks, life preserver, rope, spud, and a buddy on thin ice.  Remember the ice thickness can vary greatly so use a spud/ and or drill holes often.
A day without fishing is a day wasted.

Offline Incogneato

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 04, 2012, 06:11 PM »
  I've read many of these guides you speak of and I think they are BS.  One lake may have an average depth of 15 feet and max 20 with no current or springs.  I'd go out on 2 1/2 " no problem and many would take machines out after 4" and trucks after 8".   Now go to a lake that has varying depths everywhere with a max of 80' with current and springs.  It will have 10" in one spot but only 4" 30 feet away.    That's why there cannot be a "guide" for safe ice.   Also, I weigh 145, should a guy weighing 325 follow me on 2 1/2"?   That's up to him.   

Offline Tree Toad

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Jan 04, 2012, 06:15 PM »
I only need just enought to hold the really fat guy with all his gear walking ahead of me.

Offline Incogneato

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 04, 2012, 06:16 PM »
I only need just enought to hold the really fat guy with all his gear walking ahead of me.
I used to go by that until my "heavier fishing partner" moved up north.  ;D

Offline Tree Toad

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Jan 04, 2012, 06:25 PM »
Dont know if you follow The Free Beer and Hotwings show or not but if you do you may want to hookup with Massive Mocha  ;D With her ahead of you there will always be good ice. If you dont know about her, Google Massive Mocha.

Offline Incogneato

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Jan 04, 2012, 06:28 PM »
Dont know if you follow The Free Beer and Hotwings show or not but if you do you may want to hookup with Massive Mocha  ;D With her ahead of you there will always be good ice. If you dont know about her, Google Massive Mocha.
I was listening that day.  When they talked about the smell.................    I'll quit before I get in trouble ;D

Offline Tree Toad

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Jan 04, 2012, 06:31 PM »
You can see producer Joe get squashed and just mute the audio  ;)

Offline Incogneato

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Jan 04, 2012, 06:40 PM »
 Didn't see, just heard.

Offline Tree Toad

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Jan 04, 2012, 06:45 PM »
The video is there.

Offline dgb

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Gill Time!
« Reply #11 on: Jan 04, 2012, 07:10 PM »
I will fish on 2 inches as long as it is good solid clear ice and I know the body of water well. Make sure you bring safety gear such as picks, life preserver, rope, spud, and a buddy on thin ice.  Remember the ice thickness can vary greatly so use a spud/ and or drill holes often.
Ditto!

Offline treadz

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Can't wait for the Hardwater
« Reply #12 on: Jan 04, 2012, 07:26 PM »
I always send my fishing buddies first. I have all the gear so they can take the risk. I will go out on 3" no problem if it's good clear ice.
Work should not be so pressing as to prevent a day's fishing through the ice.
–The Old Farmer's Almanac, 1910

Offline swampbuckster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I.S. FOR LIFE! <(((((><|
« Reply #13 on: Jan 04, 2012, 07:31 PM »
2 inches is safe ice to me. But that's fishing spaced ten feet or more apart from my buddies. Won't venture across a lake on 2 inches, but small ponds and canals are do-able
You may call me crazy, but crazy catches fish!

Offline Swedish Pimp

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Jan 04, 2012, 07:36 PM »
Two is good if its black. It also needs to be fresh. When I say fresh I mean no rain and minimal time above 32. Black ice can honeycome. I really don't go by ice depth. I prefer the wack of the spud. The sound of the ice and the depth of the wack.

Offline swampbuckster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I.S. FOR LIFE! <(((((><|
« Reply #15 on: Jan 04, 2012, 07:51 PM »
Two is good if its black. It also needs to be fresh. When I say fresh I mean no rain and minimal time above 32. Black ice can honeycome. I really don't go by ice depth. I prefer the wack of the spud. The sound of the ice and the depth of the wack.

True on that one Pimp. I meant to add "solid and clear  2 inches of ice"
You may call me crazy, but crazy catches fish!

Offline fatalfisher

• IceShanty Rookie
  • fish on
« Reply #16 on: Jan 04, 2012, 07:52 PM »
Pimps do like to wack things :)

Offline scoutb

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Jan 04, 2012, 08:03 PM »
I've been on 2" of crystal clear hard ice before.  It wasn't the ice thickness tha had me spooked.  It was the weed tops just under my feet. 
There he stands, draped in more equipment than a telephone lineman, trying to outwit an organism with a brain no bigger than a breadcrumb, and getting licked in the process.  ~Paul O'Neil, 1965

Offline Slumpbuster

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Jan 04, 2012, 08:08 PM »
I've been on 2" of crystal clear hard ice before.  It wasn't the ice thickness tha had me spooked.  It was the weed tops just under my feet.

I know what you mean!

It's purely psychological, but I prefer to have an inch of white stuff on top of my 3 inches to feel safe!

Offline scoutb

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Jan 04, 2012, 08:09 PM »
I took your advice and googled "Massive Mocha".  That will be the last time I take your advice.  Eeeeeewwwwwww, nasty.   ;D
There he stands, draped in more equipment than a telephone lineman, trying to outwit an organism with a brain no bigger than a breadcrumb, and getting licked in the process.  ~Paul O'Neil, 1965

Offline Slumpbuster

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Jan 04, 2012, 08:17 PM »
my kinda woman!

Offline Incogneato

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Jan 04, 2012, 08:22 PM »
my kinda woman!
You just aren't right.

Offline Tree Toad

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #22 on: Jan 04, 2012, 08:53 PM »
I recall a story a friend told me about fishing on one of the GT bays. He said they were out on "about 2 inches of very clear black ice" and was able to see the rocks some 50ft below. Kinda made my stomach turn.

Offline Machine

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Jan 04, 2012, 09:37 PM »
I also had to take a look at massive mocha, I really don't quite know what to say. 
she may be in my dreams.
Life is tough, Its tougher when you're stupid

Offline jvanhees

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Jan 04, 2012, 09:38 PM »
2 inches is safe ice to me. But that's fishing spaced ten feet or more apart from my buddies. Won't venture across a lake on 2 inches, but small ponds and canals are do-able

same
Ducks Unlimited - Huron Valley Chapter

Offline fire747

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #25 on: Jan 05, 2012, 07:13 PM »
Was reading this thread and had to see this massive mocha you guys are talking about....speechless

Offline Swedish Pimp

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #26 on: Jan 05, 2012, 07:48 PM »
Could have fished today >:( Did not bother to stop by the bait store. Headed out to the spot and it was a go. No time to get bait and get back before dark.

Offline cold carpenter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #27 on: Jan 05, 2012, 08:26 PM »
I have no trouble walking 2". But not geared up- 2 poles, bucket and spud and a couple pockets of jigs. Do it every year on St Clair chasing perch. Out there it is the wind I worry about most!

Offline Incogneato

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #28 on: Jan 05, 2012, 08:50 PM »
Was reading this thread and had to see this massive mocha you guys are talking about....speechless
She's a whole lotta lovin :o

Offline jhookj

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #29 on: Jan 06, 2012, 11:58 AM »
I've fished on 2" before like these guys have said, it has to be good clear ice, it has to be cold out.  And the important thing to remember is: only one man per shanty...ask bonecrusher  :o

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.