Author Topic: catching blue gills  (Read 3843 times)

harold_lssu

catching blue gills
« on: Dec 02, 2003, 06:03 PM »
Has anyone ever took the treble hook off a small spoon and tie it to your line then tie a some line to the bottom of that to tie your ice jig to? if you have dose it work to attract to fish in and bite.

Offline kerosenecounty17

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • kc17 - NE WI
Re:catching blue gills
« Reply #1 on: Dec 02, 2003, 06:30 PM »
What you're talking about is called a dopper rig.  They're commonly used for perch, and sometimes crappie.  Perch feed on minnows whenever they're available, so the the flash of the spoon attracts them to the area.  Bluegill, on the other hand, almost never feed on minnows.  They key primarily on insect larva during the winter.  A dropper will work on bluegill, if they're agressive that day, but isn't as effective as it is for perch.  If the gills are neutral to negative, the spoon will scare more of them away than it will attract.  Anyway, that's from my personal experimentation.

kerosene
"An ounce of biology is worth a pound of tackle."

-Gord Pyzer

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #2 on: Dec 02, 2003, 07:51 PM »
The fussier the gills..the smaller the jig.

Try a fly such as a scud, hairs ear nymph or ant up the line about 6" to a foot from your jig. I tip mine with a single spike or leave it bare. I'll sometimes go to a #16 bare hook with one spike when they're really fussy.

I regularly use the rig you describe for big perch down deep.

RG
"Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?"

Offline emptyhanded

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • thump - fish onnnnnn
« Reply #3 on: Dec 03, 2003, 10:39 AM »
It would have to be a very small treble -- bluegills just nip they really dont strike -- inless they are fighting over your bait. I use a aquaview and very small -- very small teardrop or rat finkes with mousies. If it is small enough they inhale it -- then whammo

I use drop rigs on lake simcoe for perch -- they work great for attracting fish
Does not play well with others

As uncle ted says - u have to kill it to grill it" its our right to bear arms and chase large women

harold_lssu

« Reply #4 on: Dec 03, 2003, 11:07 AM »
Thanks for the information Kerosene it will help in the up comeing season

Offline Melbs7

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Dec 25, 2003, 02:53 PM »
whats a mousie?

Melbs       :'(

Offline fishingking

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Dec 26, 2003, 04:54 PM »
A mousie is like a spike   but its grey fatter juicer and has a little tail they are some kind of fly maggot and yes they are a alive too
Loose Lips Sink Ships
50,232 Members and 50,232 Lurkers.
Ego's :nono:

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.