Author Topic: Kingston, Ontario, Back Lakes  (Read 226550 times)

Offline leviathan_slayer

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Kingston, Ontario, Back Lakes
« Reply #1080 on: Feb 13, 2021, 01:59 PM »
For all those interested in entering an ice fishing tournament that runs from 13 February 2021 to 7 March 2021 read the following. If we can get enough active anglers from Kingston we can compete as a community as well.

----------------------
ONTARIO ICE FISHING CHALLENGE
----------------------
Feb 13 to Mar 7, 2021
----------------------
RULES
----------------------
1. Getting Started
A. The 2021 Ontario Ice Fishing Challenge is an online tournament run through Angler’s Atlas website and mobile app MyCatch.
B. Anyone can participate in the 2021 Ontario Ice Fishing Challenge and it is for all ages. Registration is per individual, and not per team.
C. There is a $20.00 registration fee to enter the tournament.
D. In order for catches to be sent properly, you must use the same login and password for both Angler’s Atlas website and the MyCatch app.
E. All contestants must register for the tournament through this URL: https://www.anglersatlas.com/tournament/470/ontario-ice-fishing-challenge-2021
F. You will receive an automatic email confirming that you have entered the tournament and that your payment has gone through.
G. Once accepted into the tournament, download the free MyCatch mobile app which is available for both iOS (Apple App Store) and Android (Google Play Store) and login to activate the tournament on the app again using the same login email and password that you used to register in the tournament. (https://www.anglersatlas.com/mycatch)
H. Protecting anglers’ privacy is a priority, and any location data collected during the tournament will not be released to the public. Our promise to anglers is “Secret Fishing Spots Stay Secret”. See Section 6 below for further details.
----------------------
2. Catch Reporting Rules
A. In order for each catch to qualify, a photograph of the fish must be taken using the MyCatch app, and cannot be uploaded from a photo gallery or other source.
B. All contestants must have GPS enabled on their cell phone for their catches to qualify. All location data will be protected. For more information, see Section 6 below.
C. All length based prize categories require the use of a ‘bump board’ or other measuring device that clearly shows the length of the fish. The nose of the fish must be aligned with the start of the measuring device, with both the nose and the tail clearly visible in the photograph. Measurement is based on the tip of the tail and not fork length. A pinched tail is allowed.
D. The photo must be taken from directly above looking down on the fish.
E. Fish must be placed as close to the measuring device as possible, without covering the measurements for verification.
F. The fish must be measured belly-to-belly (the belly of the fish facing the belly of the person/angler holding the fish).
G. The mouth is allowed to be open, closed, or anywhere in between, so long as the fish meets the other above requirements.
H. There are to be no fingers placed in the gills or mouth of the fish. Any fingers in the gills or mouth of the fish will disqualify that fish.
I. Blatant abuse to fish or the resource is reason for disqualification.
J. The app works out of cell range, and catches will synchronize with the server once the user opens the app when back in cell range, or via a wifi signal. If the catches are not synced by the end of the tournament, they will not qualify for prizes.
K. Catches will be reviewed within 24 hours of submission.
L. A great resource is the MyCatch video that shows how to complete an entry:

----------------------
3. Tournament Location and Times
A. Tournament boundaries are anywhere within the Province of Ontario. Given concerns with COVID-19, we strongly urge anglers to “Stay local, fish local”.
B. Rules meeting will be held on February 12, 2021 at 7:00 pm, Eastern Standard Time through Facebook Live on https://www.facebook.com/Ontario-Ice-Fishing-Challenge-105220404871644.
C. The tournament starts February 13, 2021 at 6:00 am, Eastern Standard Time.
D. The tournament ends March 7, 2021 at 12:00 pm, Eastern Standard Time.
E. All catches made within the start and end times must be synchronized with the Angler’s Atlas server by March 7, 2021 at 12:00 pm, Eastern Standard Time to qualify.
F. Awards ceremony will take place on March 7, 2021 at 3:00 pm, Eastern Standard Time through Facebook Live on https://www.facebook.com/Ontario-Ice-Fishing-Challenge-105220404871644.
----------------------
4. Awards & Prizes
A. Prize amounts are based on a full field of 500 anglers. If the tournament doesn’t fill, the payout for each paid position will be adjusted based on the number of entries.
- 1st Place longest overall Northern Pike — $1,000 cash prize
- 1st Place longest overall Yellow Perch — $1,000 cash prize
- 1st Place longest overall Walleye — $1,000 cash prize
- 1st Place longest overall Trout (any species) — $1,000 cash prize
- 2nd Place longest overall Northern Pike — $500 cash prize
- 2nd Place longest overall Yellow Perch — $500 cash prize
- 2nd Place longest overall Walleye — $500 cash prize
- 2nd Place longest overall Trout (any species) — $500 cash prize
- 3rd Place longest overall Northern Pike — $250 cash prize
- 3rd Place longest overall Yellow Perch — $250 cash prize
- 3rd Place longest overall Walleye — $250 cash prize
- 3rd Place longest overall Trout (any species) — $250 cash prize
- Most number of fish caught by a participant — $500 cash prize
- Greatest diversity of fish caught by a participant — $500 cash prize
B. The 2021 Ontario Ice Fishing Capital award will be given to the community that has earned the most points from its participating anglers — i.e. anglers who reside within the community.
- Only participating communities are eligible for this award. To participate, please contact tournament coordinator Jim Clarke at [email protected].
- Postal code will be used to determine residency of anglers.
- Point system is calculated from all leaderboards and based on the total number of entries within each leaderboard. For example, a leaderboard with 100 entries, first place angler receives 100 points, second place receives 99 points, and so on, to the last place that would receive one point. So enter all your fish as every fish entered can count towards a community's point total.
C. More prizes may be added as they become available.
D. A participant can only win one prize placing per leaderboard.
E. Winning anglers will be contacted directly using the contact information provided in the tournament registration process.
F. In the case of a tie, the tie break will go to the person with the highest number of fish reported.
G. Tournament organizers reserve the right to adjust entries.
----------------------
5. Other Rules
A. By registering and participating in the tournament, all participants agree to abide by the rules and regulations they have received as set out in the 2021 Ontario Ice Fishing Challenge Event Rules.
B. Anglers can only submit catches that they have caught themselves. This is an individual tournament, so you cannot enter as a partnership or team, and under no circumstances can you share fish with any other angler. Anglers are free to fish alone or with other tournament or non-tournament anglers, but each registered angler may only enter their own fish.
C. Each contestant must have in their possession a valid fishing license for their respective jurisdiction or be exempt under regulations of their jurisdiction.
D. Each contestant must conform to the fishing rules and regulations that are in place for the jurisdiction in which they are fishing.
E. Promoters, organizers or sponsors assisting in the tournament operation are not responsible for death, injury, damage, liability, theft, fire or any loss to any contestants.
F. Any angler found to be cheating will be disqualified from the tournament. Angler’s Atlas also reserves the right to ban anglers from competing in future events.
G. In the event of disqualification, any entry fees will be forfeited and not refunded.
H. All rules have loopholes. It is our intention to provide an honest sportsmanlike tournament. In the interest of good sportsmanship, contestants are reminded the spirit of the rule will prevail in all judgments.
I. All questions or problems relating to the rules of this tournament are to be referred to Jim Clarke by email ([email protected]). His decision will be final in all cases. No other person can be considered a spokesman for the rules during the tournament.
J. Any contestant has the right to make a protest against another contestant by contacting Jim Clarke through email ([email protected]) prior to the close of the tournament. His decision will be final in all cases. A $100.00 dollar protest fee may need to accompany the protest. The fee will be returned if the protest is found to be valid.
K. All Covid-19 Public Health orders and Gathering Restrictions at the time of the event must be followed by all participants
L. This is an ice fishing event. Practice ice safety at all times! Fishing is only allowed on a minimum of at least 4 inches of ice.
----------------------
6. Data Privacy and Fisheries Research
“Secret Fishing Spots Stay Secret” — This is our primary commitment to anglers who report their catches through MyCatch. So what does this mean in practise?
A. Angler’s Atlas does not release MyCatch GPS data (latitude and longitude) to the public. It is treated as confidential and is provided to fisheries researchers under strict conditions.
B. Every research team we work with must sign a data sharing agreement that sets the terms of use for the data.
C. Data is anonymized before it is provided to the researcher.
D. Researchers agree not to share the data with anyone else.
E. Researchers cannot use the data for any purpose other than the research specified in the agreement.
F. Exact location data cannot be published as part of the scientific research. Instead, it has to be generalized to a larger region so the location cannot be reverse engineered.
These data privacy rules are designed to protect our angler’s private data, to conserve the fisheries, and to make sure we maintain a trusting relationship with our anglers into the future. If anyone has any questions, please feel free to reach out to Angler’s Atlas President directly by email ( [email protected] ).
Don a.k.a. Leviathan_slayer

Offline leviathan_slayer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1081 on: Feb 15, 2021, 07:47 AM »
Another successful day on Verona Lake. Dozen perch and few pike. The key to success the last few days has been staying away from the crowds on the lake. We have hit a few spots now that are never fished in the winter and they are proven to be very productive.

Anyway, stay safe and tight lines!

Don

a.k.a. leviathan_slayer

Offline Anglerholic

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1082 on: Feb 15, 2021, 04:33 PM »
Would someone be able to tell me where I can park and walk in to Paddy's Lake? Just pull over on Devils Lake Rd and bushwhack north? Or is there a trail heading back to the lake? Thanks.

Offline farmerk

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1083 on: Mar 05, 2021, 11:20 PM »
Would someone be able to tell me where I can park and walk in to Paddy's Lake? Just pull over on Devils Lake Rd and bushwhack north? Or is there a trail heading back to the lake? Thanks.

It's been few years since I've been there. The only road actually leading to the lake is private and on private property. There were couple of cottages there. Bushwhacking is your only option, that is if you can even find the trail in the snow - it can be tricky and it is a good 40min walk in with no snow. Surrounding land owners were putting up 'no trespassing' signs around where the trail starts - which (at the time) were not justified - they just did not want people going in. Do yourself a favor and check with the township office if the land is private or public or other. It is South Frontenac township. Stuff like this can change easily enough, what is one day public or private but owners don't care if anglers go through - can just as well change or change hands etc. Unless you live in that township - you might not know or hear of changes.
I used to park on the side of the road there.
Good luck.

Offline Anglerholic

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1084 on: Mar 06, 2021, 09:35 AM »
Thanks farmerk, I ended up getting back there after a tip on navigating the trail. Fished for 6 hours without any luck so I can't say I'll be going back there before trying out some other lakes next year.

Offline leviathan_slayer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1085 on: Apr 16, 2021, 01:36 PM »
Well ice fishing season has definitely come to an end for the 2020/21 season. I am going to keep posting in this forum throughout the coming months and hopefully it will give some ideas for ice fishing this coming winter.

Will be picking up my first fishing kayak next month so this will give me opportunity to try some different lakes that I would normally not got to as my boat is not easily launched from some of the smaller lakes. As well, it will be a good opportunity to try out the Deeper Pro+ sonar and map charting device I bought which will help with creating bathymetric maps for some of the smaller lakes that are not charted in Navionics.

Anyway, stay safe, stay healthy and tight lines to all!

Don

a.k.a. leviathan_slayer

Offline caygeon

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1086 on: Jan 04, 2022, 02:02 AM »
Started my 2022 season on Fourth Depot Lake today. Pretty consistent 5 inches of good ice everywhere I went. Fished two of the main lake points 12-25 feet of water.

Pretty slow. 1 walleye below slot, 1 pike, 2 perch.

Offline leviathan_slayer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1087 on: Jan 09, 2022, 09:20 AM »
Good day and Happy New Year to all,

Ice is slowly becoming safer each and every day with some lakes already seeing anglers out and a few shacks in place. However, the up and down temperatures mean you should always be careful heading out.

I did a drive around the area between Kingston and Perth and most lakes were frozen over with between 4-6 “ of ice. There are shacks out on Verona, Howes, Elbow, St. George, Eagle, Silver, and Wolfe Lakes.

Be careful, be safe and tight lines to all!

Don
a.k.a. leviathan_slayer

Offline leviathan_slayer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1088 on: Jan 12, 2022, 01:08 PM »
Good day to y'all,

Heading out to Thirteen Island Lake tomorrow afternoon to do a little ice fishing. With just over 12,000 yearling walleye being stocked there in 2018, it should be interesting to see what we can find after 4 years of growth/survival. Will keep you posted

Don
a.k.a. leviathan_slayer

Offline MarkM

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1089 on: Jan 12, 2022, 03:47 PM »
Good luck!

Offline Anglerholic

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1090 on: Jan 12, 2022, 07:59 PM »
I was considering heading out either there or on Verona tomorrow afternoon too. If you see a lone guy with camo pants and a black coat, feel free to say hello. Good luck.

Offline caygeon

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1091 on: Jan 13, 2022, 10:09 AM »
Don,  thirteen has been on my list of lakes to explore. You have a much better map than my navionics gives me so that sure helps. Hope you’ll let us know what you find. I didn’t get much on Verona last weekend so thinking here or back to 5th Depot this weekend.

Offline leviathan_slayer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1092 on: Jan 14, 2022, 05:27 PM »
Good day Ice Praetorians,

My son and I ventured out onto 13 Island Lake and it was quite enjoyable. There is 8" of good ice from the shore out to the middle of the bay accessed from the north end ramp. It was pretty well bare ice so good footwear  and spikes are in order right now. We marked a number of perch, bass and walleye on the camera at 15 to 20' but could not entice them to bite. However, it was a great day to get out!

Be safe, be smart and tight lines to all!

Don
a.k.a. leviathan_slayer

Offline leviathan_slayer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1093 on: Jan 18, 2022, 12:01 PM »
To all Ontario Anglers,

This is just a quick reminder that there new rules in place for the use of bait fish on Ontario. Some of the key elements include:

New rules coming into effect on January 1, 2022:

- establishing four Bait Management Zones (BMZs) to limit the movement of baitfish and leeches in Ontario
- restricting the transportation of baitfish or leeches, whether live or dead, into or out of a BMZ with some limited exceptions
- anglers fishing outside their home BMZ must purchase baitfish and leeches locally, retain a receipt and use or dispose of their bait within two weeks from when they were purchased
- harvesting of baitfish and leeches by anglers may only occur in their home BMZ

In talking to a few people this last weekend, Ontario Conservation Officers have been enforcing these new rules. Consequently, it is important that you inform yourself of these rules.

https://www.ontario.ca/page/sustainable-bait-management-ontario

Don
a.k.a. leviathan_slayer

Offline dnj1964

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1094 on: Jan 18, 2022, 01:43 PM »
Hi all,

New to the site and hard water fishing.

Decided I’d like to give it a shot so bought an auger and a few rods and tip ups.

First question is whether to use live bait, hooks, jigs, spoons?

Always like use the Berkeley big gulp and see they have maggots thought they might be a good option.

Guessing live bait is fairly hard to come by around Kingston maybe other than worms. Did see a kijiji add for some shiners and mud minnows.

Second, normally fish back around Cloyne all summer so not to familiar with what lakes are where and access points around Kingston. Is there a map or app that shows locations and access points?

Used to fish a little lake we called Paddy’s Pond for brook trout north of Sydenham but haven’t been there in years.

Looking to fish pickerel, bass, perch, crappie

Any suggestions or input welcomed and very much appreciated.

Thanks, Doug

Offline IveGotWorms

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Hunting giant eyes
« Reply #1095 on: Jan 18, 2022, 05:31 PM »
@dnj1964

Live bait or a minnow head is pretty much a must in combo with small jigging style spoon, body baits or the good old jig and minnow. Tons of options to try. MNR has whats called fish online. It’s shows all the species in each lake. Even surveys and stocking.
https://www.lioapplications.lrc.gov.on.ca/fishonline/Index.html?viewer=FishONLine.FishONLine&locale=en-CA

Offline leviathan_slayer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1096 on: Jan 18, 2022, 07:39 PM »
@dnj1964

Welcome to the forum. There is a lot of useful info on this overall thread so feel free to go back over all the earlier entries.

You will find minnows and jigs quite useful on most lakes around Kingston. You can buy minnows at several spots around the area including SFRC in Harrowsmith, a supplier in Tichborne and one in Sharbot Lake, Norris in Newport and Wings in Lyndhurst.

As for lakes there are a number around the area that easy public access. Verona Lake, Second Depot Lake, Sydenham Lake  Bob's Lake, Crow Lake, Sharbot Lake, Thirteen Island Lake, Wolfe Lake, Lougborough Lake, Dog Lake, Devil Lake, etc. all have easy public access points. If there is any specific Lake that interests you can I can send more info/maps.

Hope this information is of interest.

All the best, be safe, be smart on the ice.

Tight lines!

Don
a.k.a. leviathan_slayer

Offline dnj1964

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1097 on: Jan 19, 2022, 10:02 AM »
Hi Don,

Thanks for the reply and information.

Doug

Offline stukkie

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1098 on: Jan 20, 2022, 02:17 PM »
Don't forget Catchall Bait & Tackle in Battersea.
PS bass is CLOSED through the ice on all back lakes

Offline Duffer500

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1099 on: Jan 20, 2022, 07:16 PM »
Hi there,

I haven't posted on here, but have been a peruser of everyone's posts for a few seasons. Firstly, I wanted to thank people for the sharing of both stories and strategies.

This is my third season ice fishing... I've never had much luck haha.
Having been concentrating my efforts on westport lakes in search of a walleye but to no avail.

I am considering trying thirteen island lake...
Don - as usual you have already been forthcoming with info. Just great!
I have saved your map and found another old one online.

My question regards what to look for on a map? (I have a garmin striker)

From my understanding walleye like the deeper water with close access to shallower around darkness.

I read about shoals and midlake flats...

Im just interested in what sort of depths you guys fish?

How common is it to catch these fish in the middle of the day?

Any information / advice would be greatly appreciated!

I am also considering one of the depot lakes?

For some reason I cannot send PM's on here, maybe I have to earn that!

Thanks just now.

Offline caygeon

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1100 on: Jan 21, 2022, 11:46 AM »
Hey Duffer,

first I'll say that I tried 13 island lake last weekend for the first time and I have never seen so few fish on a day of fishing.  Not sure if it was the bitter cold or if I had the wrong idea for that lake.  I fished around the obvious saddle between the main island an the mainland closest to the launch and covered a lot of water and depths over the day.  Didn't even mark a single fish on the Garmin. 

To do some research on the basics its probably best just to look for YouTube videos "where to find walleye ice fishing"  I like Tom Boley's videos.  I find though that the lakes around here are very different.  In some the eyes suspend, others they stick to the structure.  There's some good articles to be found by google searching the same.
 My read in most cases is that we are now getting into the "mid-winter" situation where the walleye tend to be in deeper water during the day and come up in the shallows in low-light or darkness.  So I'm finding areas with structure at 20-30' range, close to the deepest parts of the lake.  I have caught some mid-day but most are within an hour of sunset. 

I'll be on the depot lakes this weekend again where I've had some luck but have yet to catch a walleye above the 40 cm slot size.  Mostly small pike too.  Only thing I've iced are perch, which have been a good size.  I'm always looking for new spots, yet to find a consistent location.  So take my advice with that in mind. 

Otherwise, like Don does so well, I intend to be an information sharer here not holding my secrets.  win or lose. 

Good luck

Offline Anglerholic

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1101 on: Jan 21, 2022, 02:55 PM »
I also had zero luck on 13. 5 hours and just a small school of perch to show for it. Might check out Loughborough or Dog sunday afternoon.

Offline stukkie

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1102 on: Jan 21, 2022, 03:15 PM »
Going to Dog again tomorrow, caught a nice pike last week. Hear the crappie are starting to hit if you can find them.Lots of bait in Battersea.
Not sure how all the snow we got will change things, I don't have a sled but a 4x4 that doesn't like deep snow/slush like most and walking far dragging my gear isn't my thing.
  Stay Safe

Offline leviathan_slayer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1103 on: Jan 22, 2022, 10:51 AM »
Good day Anglers Extraordinaire,

Heading out today to check a few lakes and then decide on one to hit tomorrow. Going to drill a few holes on a few lakes, check ice thickness and use my Deeper Sonar and Aqua Vu to check out structure and bottom surface.

Remember if there are some lakes you might be interested in I can post a few bathymetric maps if I have them.

Just stopped by Verona Lake, 4 trucks out on the ice.at the south end. Getting out there seems relatively easy. Mind you, the south end is becoming more and more busy. Access the Verona Lake via Salmon Lane by Toppers store - deeper water and less busy.

Well off to a few other lakes and will let you know what we find!

Tight lines to all!

Don
a.k.a. leviathan_slayer

Offline endoguy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1104 on: Jan 23, 2022, 03:23 PM »
How are the Kingston back lakes doing this yr?  Looking for lake suggestions for family day weekend in Feb.-- also access points.

Offline leviathan_slayer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1105 on: Jan 23, 2022, 06:19 PM »
My son and I headed out to 2nd Depot Lake for some late afternoon walleye. Took the SxS out and was able to get through the snow quite easily. The ice is a good 13" thick. We fished along the east shore where stone wall in 30 FOW. Bryan pulled in a nice 27" burbot (have never caught a burbot in the day time before). I was quite amazed at the amount of "lake fleas" that surrounded the camera but more interesting was the darkness of the lake at 30'. Normally our cameras would see at that depth but it was pitch black where we were. Anyway, a good day on the lake.

Stay safe and right lines to all!

Don
a.k.a. leviathan_slayer

Offline Anglerholic

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1106 on: Jan 23, 2022, 06:30 PM »
Slow day on Dog for me. About 14 inches of good ice and 4 inches of slush where I was. Lots of sleds and a couple trucks out.

I caught one 30 inch pike. I'm fairly certain that he hit the tip up rig four times within 10 minutes. The first time he wasn't hooked but he held onto the bait until I pulled him up to the hole. The second and third time I ripped it out of his mouth. I let him run with it for a good minute and finally hooked him on the fourth try. I reckon the 10 inch sardine was too big for him so he never had the hooks in his mouth the first few tries even though he was running with it.

Offline leviathan_slayer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1107 on: Jan 23, 2022, 06:36 PM »
Great work Anglerholic!

Offline caygeon

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1108 on: Jan 24, 2022, 06:49 AM »
Fished 5th Depot Lake yesterday. More than 30 cm of ice. We caught 3 monster Smallmouth. Back down they went of course. Lots of action on the Garmin came after 4:30. One bite on the dead stick minnow, but dropped it. Nothing biting aggressively. No walleye  :'(

Offline Duffer500

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1109 on: Jan 24, 2022, 02:26 PM »
Looking for some advice on who locally I could bring my eskimo auger for repair..

It starts and idles fine...
But on full throttle it dies every time!
Its 3 years old.
Seafoam added last season.
Tank emptied and ran dry aswell.
I only use the 50:1 premix from Canadian tire.

Any suggestions appreciated!
Thank you.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.