Author Topic: Kingston, Ontario, Back Lakes  (Read 227673 times)

Offline leviathan_slayer

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Kingston, Ontario, Back Lakes
« Reply #930 on: Jan 04, 2017, 10:36 AM »
To all hardwater anglers,

Be careful out around the Kingston area right now.  the warm weather over the last few days and the rain has taken what little ice there was down quite significantly.

Be safe, be wise, stay alive!!

Don

Aka leviathan_slayer
Don a.k.a. Leviathan_slayer

Offline leviathan_slayer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #931 on: Jan 04, 2017, 10:39 AM »
Michael (MichaelAngelo)

Here is a map with two locations where I have successfully caught burbot on 2nd Depot Lake.  I will put up a map shortly for 3rd Depot Lake as well.

Tight lines and be safe heading out on the water!

Don

Aka leviathan_slayer

Offline leviathan_slayer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #932 on: Jan 04, 2017, 10:58 AM »
Michael (MichaelAngelo)

Here is the map of 3rd Depot Lake that shows a couple of spots where I have successfully caught burbot.

Good Luck!

Tight lines and be safe on the water!!

Don

Aka leviathan_slayer

Offline elijah.adair

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #933 on: Jan 04, 2017, 04:01 PM »
Hearn...
I accessed at the shipyard launch near Battersea. The smallest amount of ice I found wandering around was 6 inches. But I'm sure that has changed given the warm and the rain.

Leviathan Slayer... question for you regarding the Depot lakes!
I have fished dammed lakes before and I know levels can fluctuate, causing slush and choppy shorelines for ice, but I heard from a buddy that you can't ice fish the depot lakes because they fluctuate too much... true or false? Have any experience with ice on the depot lakes?

Offline leviathan_slayer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #934 on: Jan 04, 2017, 05:32 PM »
Elijah.adair,

I have fished the Depot Lakes for 30 years now. The fluctuation has been minimal unless there have been several days above 0*C and/or a few days of rain. Then they let water out of 2nd Depot. Normally no issues at all until early to mid-March. Have caught several decent pike, burbot and walleye through the ice over the years. Hope this info is helpful.

Tight lines and be safe on the water.

Don

Aka leviathan_slayer

Offline JZ

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #935 on: Jan 04, 2017, 05:35 PM »
I have ice fished depot lakes 1-4, there is a bit of water moving in most of them and I have had times where water has swamped the ice, making for miserable conditions.  This can happen on any lake if there is a large amount of snow weighing down the ice however in this case I believe it was cause by a planned rapid increase to the water level.  I have also heard stories of water being taken out rapidly creating a 1-2 foot air pocket underneath the ice.  This has never happened to me personally on the depot lakes (and I hope it never does!). These water systems are still very fishable in the winter but it is something Iam very mindful of so I take extra precautions i.e I stay well away from the dam or any flowing water.  If I can hear it Iam too close! I dont venture out on 2nd or 3rd until later in the season and even then with a foot of ice under me I always spud my way out, wear my floater suit, and dont usually go out solo.  Fishing dammed lakes is up to you and your comfort level on the ice. The depot lakes dont bother me much my fear factor comes into play fishing rivers or high current areas of Quinte.  The nice thing about living around here is if there is a lake you are unsure about there are about 1000 other lakes with easy access and safe ice.
@jzuliniak

Offline leviathan_slayer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #936 on: Jan 04, 2017, 06:00 PM »
Remember everyone be safe out there.

Ciao for now.

Tight lines to all.

Don

aka leviathan_slayer

Offline hearn

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #937 on: Jan 04, 2017, 06:12 PM »
Hearn...
I accessed at the shipyard launch near Battersea. The smallest amount of ice I found wandering around was 6 inches. But I'm sure that has changed given the warm and the rain.

Is this the shipyard launch?

Google Maps

Offline JZ

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #938 on: Jan 05, 2017, 07:13 AM »
thats the beach at gilmour pt, you drive by the shipyard launch to get there its about 300M west in that little bay.  The beach is a better spot to walk out from but if you are taking a sled or bike use the launch it will be easier.
@jzuliniak

Offline elijah.adair

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #939 on: Jan 05, 2017, 07:39 AM »
Thanks Don and JZ! Your info is very useful, myself and a buddy would like to try targetting burbot through the ice this year at some point... Cheers!

Hearn... the above reply is correct! that spot accesses the same bay as the shipyard launch.

Offline Mustard

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #940 on: Jan 05, 2017, 08:14 AM »
Thanks guys...I'm waiting for 1 foot plus to get the little guy out.

Offline hearn

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #941 on: Jan 05, 2017, 07:20 PM »
Ahh right right JZ, now I remember.

We walked out off the beach last year (no luck...probably should have headed to the little hump/island just north east of the beach ~400m). We were looking for splake but came up with nothing.

Offline leviathan_slayer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #942 on: Jan 06, 2017, 03:42 PM »
I decided to head out to Verona and check out some lakes.  Verona Lake has enough ice to walk on - it is straight ice so wear some spikes for the walk out. Ice thickness varies but seems to be between 4 to 6 inches. Walking on to Verona Lake is possible from Water Street or Salmon Lane.

2nd Depot Lake has similar ice but because of rain and some run-off the water level is rising and pushing up on the ice sheet. Consequently the ice around the shore is broken up making it a little challenging to get on the ice bed in spots.

Tight lines to all and be safe out there!!!

Ciao for now.

Don

aka leviathan_slayer

Offline Mustard

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #943 on: Jan 07, 2017, 08:22 PM »
Looking for crappie spots on dog. I would like to get my 4 yr old out and interested in ice fishing. Obviously it helps landing some fish. Anyone be willing to let me know where to find them?

Offline deft-traveler

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #944 on: Jan 10, 2017, 08:34 AM »
Thanks for the 2017 updates fellas. I haven't had much time to get out but I have my pack and gear all set. Went to Huff's on the weekend and wasn't comfortable with the ice (4") and cranking or shifting isn't my cup of tea.

Waiting for 8+. Warmer water temps all fall are what likely is causing the slow ice build ups. Fingers crossed it starts to come build up now days.

Offline ddpedlar

• IceShanty Rookie
Dog Lake Shipyards
« Reply #945 on: Jan 11, 2017, 09:35 AM »
I was out on Dog Lake at the Shipyards Friday afternoon.  There was at least 8" of good ice everywhere I drilled.  Caught a small perch and a nice sized crappie (and 3 bass including a nice 3 pounder, too bad it isn't August).

Away this weekend but hoping to get out there lots this winter. 

Good luck everyone!

Offline leviathan_slayer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #946 on: Jan 26, 2017, 08:00 AM »
Well I will hopefully get out this weekend to check the ice conditions on a few lakes and report to everyone. This is the slowest start to a hard water season I have seen in many years.

Ciao for now.

Don

aka leviathan_slayer

Offline hearn

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #947 on: Jan 26, 2017, 11:41 AM »
Thanks leviathan. Might have the chance to head up to the area next Wednesday to Friday so any ice reports would help a lot, it's a big drive for me.

Offline hearn

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #948 on: Jan 27, 2017, 08:38 AM »
Also, where can I pick up some minnows around Kingston? I know the CT had em last year...

Offline hearn

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #949 on: Jan 27, 2017, 09:09 AM »
Thirdly, just looked at the stocking list for splake and came across Cronk lake. Looks like it might be a fun lake to fish...Anyone have any insight? Easy access point?

Offline JZ

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #950 on: Jan 27, 2017, 09:15 AM »
Thirdly, just looked at the stocking list for splake and came across Cronk lake. Looks like it might be a fun lake to fish...Anyone have any insight? Easy access point?
there is a small launch right along bedford road, never fished it but it is on my list for this year, let us know how you  make out.
@jzuliniak

Offline Tylercurt

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #951 on: Jan 27, 2017, 08:38 PM »
JZ... We were on Cronk last week, 3 guys and all we got were perch, there is splake but there hard to find even though it's not a big lake...
Tim

Offline hearn

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #952 on: Jan 27, 2017, 09:14 PM »
Dang not what I want to hear! Ah well, any help locating minnows? What depths were you trying?

Edit: how was the ice?

Offline Bob minobb

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #953 on: Jan 28, 2017, 01:00 PM »
There is tonnes of ice on Collins lake. About 12" of solid black ice. Trucks and sleds were out there. Pike were biting too! Caught about 6. Biggest was around 4

Offline JZ

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #954 on: Jan 28, 2017, 03:48 PM »
JZ... We were on Cronk last week, 3 guys and all we got were perch, there is splake but there hard to find even though it's not a big lake...
Tim
Thanks Tim I will scratch it off my list I guess! I went out on  Upr rock today for a few hours caught a bunch of splake but they were all small

Jon
@jzuliniak

Offline hearn

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #955 on: Jan 29, 2017, 10:30 AM »
Any help with the local minnow situation?

Offline Displaced

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #956 on: Jan 30, 2017, 06:22 PM »
Hi Guys,

Long-time listener, first-time caller.

I checked out Collins Lake today. One truck was there (Black GMC) - I think they were fishing Inverary Lake. I was curious as to the parking protocol there. I imagine it can get busy. Do guys park on the road or do they move to the boat launch on the southern side of the road (in-between the two houses)? Is there another public access point for Collins Lake?

Is anyone willing to PM or share some good spots to try to Collins Lake?

Thanks,

CJC

Offline hearn

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #957 on: Feb 01, 2017, 06:27 AM »
Going to check out Cronk lake today and maybe hit Loughborough on the way back, will let you guys know how we do.

Offline leviathan_slayer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #958 on: Feb 03, 2017, 07:45 PM »
Was out last weekend on Verona Lake and there was a good 13" of ice in the middle of the lake. An easy walk on given very little snow on the lake. Marked a lot of fish in the 12' to 18' range on both the fish finder and the Aqua-Vu. Heading out again on Sunday.

For those looking for live bait, South Frontenac Rental Centre on Hwy 38 in Harrowsmith had good mud minnows and suckers (very lively bait).

Ciao for now and stay safe out there. Tight lines!

Don

aka leviathan_slayer

[/URL][/img]

Offline leviathan_slayer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #959 on: Feb 04, 2017, 04:44 PM »
Picked up some shiners and mud minnows at South Frontenac Rental Centre in Harrowsmith this afternoon. All set for fishing tomorrow on Verona Lake. Heading out to the north part of the lake - easier access and less traffic. Drop by if you are out that way. Will be the big guy in camo.

Ciao for now.

Don
aka leviathan_slayer

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.