Author Topic: Kingston, Ontario, Back Lakes  (Read 227660 times)

Offline TYBOY

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Kingston, Ontario, Back Lakes
« Reply #510 on: Feb 01, 2012, 10:14 AM »
Hey TYBOY, I am planning to hit Beaver in tomorrow, if I do I will post up what the ice is like...

Were you able to get out?  How was the ice and the fishing?

Offline TheDL

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #511 on: Feb 01, 2012, 02:35 PM »
GEEZ, here I thought you were tech savvy!

She Who Must Be Obeyed.
BAIK, http://lmgtfy.com/?q=SWMBO
Tight lines

Offline bass_belt

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #512 on: Feb 01, 2012, 02:36 PM »

Offline TheDL

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #513 on: Feb 01, 2012, 02:51 PM »
woah, woah, woah egg-head..."lol"?!   ???
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=lqtms
Man, I need to go fishing
Tight lines

Offline farmerk

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #514 on: Feb 01, 2012, 11:32 PM »
Now -  the best part about the back lake laker:

Just got them out of the smoker.

Offline 9am53

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #515 on: Feb 02, 2012, 06:13 AM »
That looks sooo good!  what wood are you using?  I basically have only used applewood for everything in my weber.

Offline bass_belt

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #516 on: Feb 02, 2012, 08:30 AM »
woah, woah, woah egg-head..."lol"?!   ???
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=lqtms
Man, I need to go fishing

LOL you and me both brother!

Offline TheDL

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #517 on: Feb 02, 2012, 10:40 AM »
(Image removed from quote.)
that looks amazing!!!  :thumbsup: I gotta get me a smoker!
Tight lines

Offline Canadianiceguy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #518 on: Feb 02, 2012, 10:43 AM »
wow dude that looks amazing. im almost drooling here.

Offline farmerk

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #519 on: Feb 02, 2012, 12:49 PM »
That looks sooo good!  what wood are you using?  I basically have only used applewood for everything in my weber.
Thanks boys,
This batch turned out really well. I like using a mixture of maple and apple chips. Also, I give it a quick brush with maple syrup just before the 3rd pan of chips goes in.

Offline TYBOY

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #520 on: Feb 04, 2012, 04:56 AM »
Well, my buddy and I are heading out to the church this morning!  I'll let you know how things went!  Good luck to all today! ;)

Offline Tight Line

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #521 on: Feb 04, 2012, 11:38 AM »

Oh man that looks good!
I'm waiting for my wife to get ready so we can go out for lunch. I saw that, and my stomach barked.
Never thought about getting a smoker, but I have $250 in Bass Pro cards that was going to spend on an auger. Now I think I want a smoker. At least I could use it year 'round. Anything I should know before purchasing one?
mmm

Offline TYBOY

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #522 on: Feb 04, 2012, 05:48 PM »
Well, biting was slow.  My buddy caught a 22" walleye and beside one keeper perch we caught 3 other small perch that were released.  It was a beautiful day to be on the ice.

Tyboy ;D @)

Offline seoo

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #523 on: Feb 04, 2012, 07:53 PM »
did loughbrough in the am and quinte in the pm

Ill start by saying I had a brutal day and only got perch

But the boys caught fish

On loughtbrough a buddy got a 6# laker biggest weve seen through the ice yet and on quinte another buddy was 20 feet from me and got about 8 small eyes were headed back out to quinte in the am
SEOO

Offline farmerk

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #524 on: Feb 04, 2012, 11:21 PM »
Oh man that looks good!
I'm waiting for my wife to get ready so we can go out for lunch. I saw that, and my stomach barked.
Never thought about getting a smoker, but I have $250 in Bass Pro cards that was going to spend on an auger. Now I think I want a smoker. At least I could use it year 'round. Anything I should know before purchasing one?
mmm

I am no expert with smokers but I hated the large propane one I had in the past. One I use currently is a very simple electric one. It works really well for fish and occasional bit of meat or cheese. I like how easy it is to set up (no messing around with propane). I think 80% of the deal is with the brining/drying process and the rest with actual smoking. It really does not take long for the fish - for me typically about 2.5 - 3hrs.  Size is probably your biggest consideration. If you are going to do a lot of stuff - big capacity smoker is needed. For me, I can smoke up to about 8 lbs of fish fillets at once in my smoker. Make sure you'll brine your fish overnight in a glass (or stoneware) dish - not steel as it can react with the brine and leave strange flavour. Give it a little rinse in cold water next day, pat dry (really well) with paper towels and let the pellicle form (very important). Pre-heat the smoker for 15 min, throw in pan full of chips (variety of flavours out there). When chips are all burned, dump and re-fill 2 more times. Brush some maple syrup before last chip re-fill. Drying proces after the last pan of chips is done is where you'll decide how dry you like your fish. That's it. Not a big deal once you do it couple more times. Make sure you're smoking it outside as 'smoke will form'.
I think a lot of guys are into really serious smokers that see no use. Flavour brickets and strange other 'special' chips are a pain in behind. Just simple chips work great and are always available and cheap. My old smoker was $ 400 and way too complicated for my needs. My new one was $ 90 and is just perfect (and made in Canada).
Hope this helps.

Offline farmerk

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #525 on: Feb 04, 2012, 11:39 PM »
did loughbrough in the am and quinte in the pm

Ill start by saying I had a brutal day and only got perch

But the boys caught fish

On loughtbrough a buddy got a 6# laker biggest weve seen through the ice yet and on quinte another buddy was 20 feet from me and got about 8 small eyes were headed back out to quinte in the am

Hey Seoo,
How much ice were you on the Lough. Did you see any guys out in deeper stuff (115ft)?

Offline 9am53

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #526 on: Feb 05, 2012, 03:21 AM »
If I may make a suggestion regarding smoking, I use a weber kettle bbq for smoking, but my old neighbor had a weber smoky mountain and it was handsdown the best charcoal smoker I have ever used.  It was really simple to use, the top half of the unit stayed at 225 with no effort (this is for hot smoking though, cold smoking would need some modifications) and best of all you have a charcoal bbq too ;)

Offline seoo

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #527 on: Feb 05, 2012, 05:23 AM »
lots of guys everywhere on lobo sleds and atvs are making runs across the lake i think there was at least 6" where we were
SEOO

Offline kamaro

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #528 on: Feb 05, 2012, 07:34 AM »
going to hit eel bay off sydenham lake today,,,, hopin for some crappy and pike .
My Wife
"Its like He has ADD and can't sit still for 1 min but he can look down a hole in the ice for HOURS"

Offline Tight Line

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #529 on: Feb 05, 2012, 12:40 PM »
Thanks for the smoking info. That's a really good start.

I live close to the Toronto Beaches. Think I may go down to Ashbridges Bay, pretend it's 'ice-out' and take some casts with a husky jerk. What else am I going to do?

Heading up to a back lake in the Parry Sound area in a couple of weeks. Always lots of ice and wilderness fun, but apparently it's getting pretty iffy up there now too.

Stay safe

Offline TheDL

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #530 on: Feb 05, 2012, 05:53 PM »
Tyboy and SEOO - how was the ice out at Quinte?
Tight lines

Offline TheDL

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #531 on: Feb 05, 2012, 05:54 PM »
FarmerK - thanks for the recipe - what kind of smoker did you get (the $90 one)?
Tight lines

Offline seoo

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #532 on: Feb 05, 2012, 06:47 PM »
We were on 5 inches there were spots nearby that we chose not to walk on as it looked much thinner were not too far from the church launch

No luck today aside from there being a billion perch out there although another buddy went out and they did quite well
SEOO

Offline farmerk

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #533 on: Feb 05, 2012, 10:05 PM »
Seoo, thanks for the info on the Lough.

TheDL - my smoker is called "True-North". Made by an outfit in Alberta, version 11. Got it at the West Marine store (guy gave me a good deal on a package there). That store has quite the selection of the fish finders (no flashers but everything else). I went in to get the 'Navionics' chip and walked out with it and the whole bundle of smoking stuff. They say they will match any US based store - advertised fishfinder's price. Now that Linden Audio does not carry the Lowrance selection, they are the best bet without heading to Watertown or Oshawa/BPS in To.

Offline farmerk

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #534 on: Feb 05, 2012, 10:11 PM »
Thanks for the smoking info. That's a really good start.

I live close to the Toronto Beaches. Think I may go down to Ashbridges Bay, pretend it's 'ice-out' and take some casts with a husky jerk. What else am I going to do?

Stay safe

Yeah, I used to do that at the foot of Spadina 25 years ago (there were no husky jerks - I drilled and weighted floating rapalas to suspend). People gave me really weird looks but I was catching good pike in the 'shadow' of the CN Tower. Now it is all changed there.
I hear people are catching fish on Simcoe (if you can deal with the crowds).

Heading up to a back lake in the Parry Sound area in a couple of weeks. Always lots of ice and wilderness fun, but apparently it's getting pretty iffy up there now too.

Offline TheDL

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #535 on: Feb 06, 2012, 11:19 AM »
Seoo, thanks for the info on the Lough.

TheDL - my smoker is called "True-North". Made by an outfit in Alberta, version 11. Got it at the West Marine store (guy gave me a good deal on a package there).
Can it do cold smoking? 
Tight lines

Offline farmerk

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #536 on: Feb 06, 2012, 03:14 PM »
I don't think so.

Offline Otto

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hunt the Best, Hunt a Brittany! RIP Otto
« Reply #537 on: Feb 09, 2012, 03:12 PM »
Has anyone fished either Leggat or Bass lakes with any sort of success?
(Bass lake west of Sharbot)

Thanks.

I have been to Leggat's Lake.  I have not ice fished it, but have fished it several times in the summer.  Great small mouth, pike and perch lake.  There is a big rock pile about in the center of it as the main location for structure.  The edges were good too.  It has been a few years, hopefully not much has changed there. 

Don't know anything about Bass Lake.

Offline farmerk

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #538 on: Feb 11, 2012, 05:16 PM »
Guys,
Anybody been out on Friday/Today?
I went out to Lobo on Thursday. Started at the day-break. Got 4 fish, one decent rest small. Worked my butt off looking for them (30 holes - looking for active fish up high). Smelts are already moving in, founds spots with 10ft thick of them towards the bottom. 

Offline 9am53

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #539 on: Feb 13, 2012, 06:22 AM »
So we finally got skunked at Rock lake...I was out from 6:30am till around noon yesterday, and we got a 6" perch.  My buddy had a very large and aggressive pike on his perch rod, but with no leader and wimpy line he lost it after the 3rd time it ran with his drag.  It was a great day out in the sun, but it seems the February doldrums have begun!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.