Author Topic: Kingston, Ontario, Back Lakes  (Read 227688 times)

Offline lunkrhuntr

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Kingston, Ontario, Back Lakes
« Reply #150 on: Jan 10, 2011, 02:31 PM »
also laker 2011 night fishing is good but you must keep jigging your results will improve greatly smaller minnows help with swedish pimple and i think there called mister champ but use red.i was gonna go to hickory lane t day but thought it was gonna be cold so maybe ill go tomorrow morning anybody wanna go for some walleye in the bay

Offline Laker2011

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Look for the Frabill shelter
« Reply #151 on: Jan 10, 2011, 02:49 PM »
Thanks Lunkrhuntr. We appreciate any tips we can get.  Good luck tomorrow morning and everyone take care out there.
Stay Safe and Tight Lines.

Offline icejunky

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • TEAM ONTARIO
« Reply #152 on: Jan 10, 2011, 03:21 PM »
This may be a dumb question, but do the owners of the trailer park plow the lane that leads to Dog Lake (Hogans). My vehicle does not have 4 wheel drive and I dont want to get stuck out there

Offline TheDL

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #153 on: Jan 10, 2011, 03:43 PM »
lnkrhunter - GREAT info, thank-you!
Tight lines

Offline farmerk

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #154 on: Jan 10, 2011, 10:30 PM »
Just heading out the door to go fishing at Verona and possibly Hambly.  Just found out that the Canadian Tire Cataraqui sells small, medium and large minnows and bought a couple of dozen. Great looking bait!  As for fishing spots on Verona close to access points, in the southern bay lots of spots for perch, bluegills, crappies and pike. If you move over towards the entrance to the creek that leads over towards Hambly, lots of perch, bluegills, pike, the odd walleye and even a catfish or two (only in last few years have they shown up). So lots of walk on spots to catch fish.  If you or anyone is out this weekend I will be the big guy in camo and may even have my big black shelter up.  Keep your lines tight and may the ice be safe.

Don a.k.a. Leviathan_Slayer

Don,
Thanks for the info. You mention catfish, are those bullheads or channel cats? Also, do you ever fish there on the weekdays? Let me know, perhaps we can hook up.

I was out there (Verona) today (just in front of the access point), 8 inches of ice and a lot of perch. Only one 12" but rest were in 8-10" so not too bad. Morning bite was fast (about 20 fish in under 5min). All in all fun day. Some guy on a snowmobile was running around the lake - came in flying within 15 ft of me twice!  His machine crapped out later on and he had it towed back to shore.
I only saw one other guy fishing.

Good luck everyone and be safe.
Kris

Offline Tristan420

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #155 on: Jan 11, 2011, 01:56 AM »
my plans were to hit up hambly sat. what time where you thinking of going?

Offline Craig17dt

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #156 on: Jan 11, 2011, 06:46 PM »
Hi everybody, Went out and fished howes today for about two hours not even a bite but I was on the wrong side of the lake in about 40 feet of water. I would love to catch some eyes if anyone gets on to some let me know!

Offline tip-uptwo

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #157 on: Jan 12, 2011, 07:54 AM »
Hey guys, I'll be fishing either on Verona Lake out of Water  St. or Silver lake(Hambly) Sunday from conservation lane?. I'll wait to see in the next couple days if anyone else from here is going to be out on any of these lakes before deciding where to fish. Can bathymetric maps of either lake be purchased in town? This will be my first time ice fishing the area so there is not a specific lake that interests me, both are great in the summer. Pike and crappie are on the hit list.
Andrew

Offline icejunky

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • TEAM ONTARIO
« Reply #158 on: Jan 12, 2011, 07:58 AM »
I was planning on heading to Deseronto again this weekend, but if you are in town and I will change up my plans and join you. I have no preference for what lake to fish

Offline tip-uptwo

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #159 on: Jan 12, 2011, 08:17 AM »
I won't have long out there, maybe fish from 6:30-7 until noon. I'll be grabbing some pike bait here in Ottawa before coming down.

Do the crappies in Verona bite better after dark? Seems to be the most promising time for them in a lot of lakes in the area.

Thanks
Andrew

Offline TheDL

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #160 on: Jan 12, 2011, 03:26 PM »
I am finally going to get off BOQ, and try the back lakes this weekend.  From the sounds of this thread, the spot to try would be verona lake (is that rock lake?) or hambly - any updates would be helpfull.

Anyone have recent info on the depot lakes?  I want to try them, but I am really concerned about the possibility of a drop in water level!?

I hope to see you guys out there!
Tight lines

Offline Laker2011

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Look for the Frabill shelter
« Reply #161 on: Jan 12, 2011, 11:23 PM »
Hey DL!

Bass_Belt and I have been fishing 4th depot lake for three weeks and the water level hasn't dropped.  The ice there is a solid 7 inches.  We just got back from a night fishing trip for walleye on 4th depot Bass_belt had a lunker on but lost him in some cover.  Good trip all around though.  We are interested in fishing Verona lake are there walleye there?  Where is the best parking and access any info would be helpful.  Good luck everyone and take care out there.
Stay Safe and Tight Lines.

Offline TheDL

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #162 on: Jan 13, 2011, 09:09 AM »
I have now been able to create bathymetric maps of lakes. I have just created the first detailed map of Verona Lake and it is fantastic!  I will be using it to map other lakes that maps are not available.
Leviathan Slayer - you said you'll be mapping other lakes that "are not available"....what lakes are already mapped (bathymetric)?  Where can I find these?  Seems like it'd be really helpfull 
Tight lines

Offline TheDL

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #163 on: Jan 13, 2011, 09:24 AM »
you can also get to hambly lake which is attached to verona lake and howes. not great access but decent parking. park at the quinte consvervation area and make a short trek down the portage trail. the trail is mostly overgrown after just a short distance but not impossible to venture through
Tristan, I'm looking at google maps of hambly lake, can't find the "quinte conservation area" (except near BOQ?) - I do see "conservation lane" - is that where you head out?  Is there parking/access there?
Tight lines

Offline TheDL

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #164 on: Jan 13, 2011, 09:28 AM »
Tristan,

Best spots on Hambly for walleye is the point in the middle of the north end of the lake. As for pike the best spot seems to be the entrance of the long bay in SW corner and the larger bay on the east side of the lake.

Can I get onto Hambly from Hambly Ln?  Parking?
Tight lines

Offline Echo Bravo

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #165 on: Jan 13, 2011, 04:53 PM »
Hi guys...

Just bought my first ice auger!!!

Now I'd like to use it

Where do you guys access Dog Lake?

Any thought to posting points of access through google maps?

EB

Offline JZ

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #166 on: Jan 13, 2011, 07:25 PM »
Hi guys...

Just bought my first ice auger!!!

Now I'd like to use it

Where do you guys access Dog Lake?

Any thought to posting points of access through google maps?

EB

I access Dog at Gilmour pt.  Take Battersea road, make a right on wellington (its right after the lodge) follow to the end, there are two points you can access. 1 is at the boat launch and the second if you go a little further is at the beach on gilmour pt.  there is parking at both locations. 44.432677,-76.359186 (boat launch)
@jzuliniak

Offline Tristan420

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #167 on: Jan 14, 2011, 04:19 PM »
Conservation lane is where you can park to access hambly. There is no public boat launch. When you turn onto conservation lane, there is a road to the left just goes around to a small turn around with a portage trail. The trail is overgrown pretty difficult with lots of gear but not impossible. 

Offline farmerk

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #168 on: Jan 14, 2011, 09:11 PM »
Gents,
Verona still producing perch and pike in very good numbers. Fish are moving around a lot and are hitting so a constant influx of fresh fish makes for fast action. Small gold Williams wabler spoons (1 1/4)  tipped with some 'flesh' are very effective.

Anybody been to Loughborough yet? I wonder if it has good ice for lakers. Also, does anybody know what happened to the walleye stocking ministry was planning there?

Keep drilling and stay safe.
Kris

Offline daver231

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #169 on: Jan 15, 2011, 06:07 AM »
morn boys its sat, and ive got a munch on for walleyes!! so where should i go??? was gonna bring the little ones out. oh and bait can i get some near their or on the way?

Offline TheDL

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #170 on: Jan 15, 2011, 08:07 AM »
Damn!  My fishing buddy bailed on my for this aft/tonite.  Anyone want to go to kingston back lakes around dinner time with me tonite?  I was thinking 4th depot, or maybe verona lake?

send me a message if you want to go - I'm off to canadian tire, but I will reply shortly.
Tight lines

Offline lunkrhuntr

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #171 on: Jan 15, 2011, 10:22 AM »
yeah id be up for some eyes on fourth but were i live its the internet connection works when it wants to so its hard to always check the computer but you can call me at 876 2407 my name is phil

Offline icejunky

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • TEAM ONTARIO
« Reply #172 on: Jan 15, 2011, 10:30 AM »
Hey guys, for those headed out today, can you give me a heads up on road conditions and off and on points. I will be headed out tomorrow (my ride is not great in a ton of snow)

Offline lunkrhuntr

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #173 on: Jan 15, 2011, 10:33 AM »
hey icejunky i was out on dog yesterday and got some splake we should go out there sometime the ice is a bit weird but still okay

Offline icejunky

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • TEAM ONTARIO
« Reply #174 on: Jan 15, 2011, 10:55 AM »
sounds good man, send me you cell number again and I will add it to my phone

Offline tip-uptwo

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #175 on: Jan 15, 2011, 01:54 PM »
Jiggy and I will be on hambly tomorrow. Probably going to check out the northern section of the lake in the am. Hope the pike are bitin'.
Andrew

Offline daver231

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #176 on: Jan 15, 2011, 02:52 PM »
wish i waited abit seems like i would have had a better day out with some new guys my partner whiend all afternoon that he was cold. and when prime time came i had to take him home. but im going again tomorrow. but where????? lol

Offline TheDL

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #177 on: Jan 15, 2011, 09:41 PM »
got out on 4th depot with Lunkrkuntr this afternoon - good times, no 'eyes

ice was good 7" +, roads are plowed now, walleye were ellusive  ???

heading back to BOQ for 7am at huff's point again - they 'eyes are bound to be hiding somewhere...

tight lines...
Tight lines

Offline TheDL

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #178 on: Jan 15, 2011, 09:44 PM »
my partner whiend all afternoon that he was cold. and when prime time came i had to take him home. but im going again tomorrow. but where????? lol

don't you mean "take her home"?  I hate people that b***h about the cold while standing on a frozen lake - did she think it'd be warm? >:(
Tight lines

Offline leviathan_slayer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #179 on: Jan 16, 2011, 11:59 AM »
Well Saturday was an exciting day fishing during a virtual blizzard. During the firt 2 hours while on Howes Lake I caught 42 perch, 3 pike and 2 walleye. Then the bite went dead and visibility was next to nil. I took out my new Frabill Headquarters pop-up (6x12 feet) and it was great - lots of room and out of the snow. Today went out to Verona for a couple of hours in the morning. A few perch but that was it. Anyway, fishing seems to be good right now. Hope others having similar luck!

Don a.k.a. Leviathan_slayer
Don a.k.a. Leviathan_slayer

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.