The ice fishing VT boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: hooks for northerns  (Read 2566 times)

Offline sonny88

• Team IceShanty Regular
hooks for northerns
« on: Jan 04, 2020, 02:37 PM »
I use circle hooks a lot for salt water fishing and have heard of some people using circle hooks for northerns through the ice. I'd like to give this a try, what size hook and how heavy a  leader do you use?

Offline Island_Viking

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: hooks for northerns
« Reply #1 on: Jan 11, 2020, 03:54 PM »
The only thing I've used circle hooks for is bowfin. But I suppose it could work especially when tightening up slowly on a tip up line. I imagine it would work well when the pike is running. I typically use Daiichi wide gap hooks with 30lb flouro leader.

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
  • The secret to fishing...fish where the fish are.
« Reply #2 on: Jan 11, 2020, 03:56 PM »
Big trebles with big sucker minnows. Period.
"Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam circumspice."

Offline EyERipLip

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Above the Ice, under the influence
« Reply #3 on: Jan 12, 2020, 01:07 PM »
Large jig heads work good for me . I have a friend who uses circle hooks and they seem to work also.  Good luck

Offline Hardwater Renegade

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 13, 2020, 07:29 AM »
I agree with EYERIPLIP I have always had good luck with big jig heads, but have also had luck with the treble hooks for pike too. Never tried a circle hook. Best of luck to you.

Offline Raven71

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Jan 13, 2020, 11:02 AM »
I use  #4 circle hooks for Northerns with good success. Nine times out of ten, the hook sets good in the corner of the mouth. I also use a 40 pound flouro leader.

Offline ajfitzg4

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Jan 13, 2020, 11:03 AM »
Bunch of us use circle hooks and they work well, don't beat up the pike as much either.  But most use treble for the best success.

Offline Light liner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Rather be judged by 12 then carried by 6.
« Reply #7 on: Jan 13, 2020, 11:13 AM »
I use  #4 circle hooks for Northerns with good success. Nine times out of ten, the hook sets good in the corner of the mouth. I also use a 40 pound flouro leader.

Same here, I dont need to kill everything I catch.
Small circle hooks work great and are much easier on the fish.
Champlain
Memphremagog

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #8 on: Jan 13, 2020, 11:26 AM »
I use no. 4 or 6 trebles but last few years been trying 1/0 to 3/0 circles on my tip ups.great hookup rates and i just put the brakes/pressure  on the line with my fingers,no hooksets with circles and must be snelled on.i have been using circle hooks for large channel and flathead catfish for many years with success so i started using them for pike too.

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #9 on: Jan 13, 2020, 11:57 AM »
Oh goody! I get to be the voice of dissent again  ;D

I do like circles for lots of stuff. Just not pike or muskies. My experience has been mixed. Sometimes they perform as advertised but too often they wind up somewhere they don't belong. Been using Mustad or Owner circles not offset or kirbed and always snelled to the leader in proper sizes, and never "set the hook". My thought is that all those teeth redirect the angle of the line/leader as it pulls through and sometimes makes the circle hook up prematurely. I'm pretty much done with them for pike.

Day in day out a suitable smaller than you think treble works very, very well with minimal damage to fish. #10 is my go to with #6s as the largest I'll fish. Can't have wimpy hooks though. 4x strong, wide gaps with short shanks are the perfect choice. You could probably get away with 2 or 3x but the point is to get them stiff enough in small sizes where the point doesn't spring out on the hookset or ensuing fight, changing the angle of the hookup often allowing a premature escape. Got a pile of Eagle Claw L774s in black nickle and red in size 10 and 6 and Daiichi "Death Hooks" in #6 and they pretty much cover what do.

Don't need giant hooks to catch giant fish, just strong ones. Barbs on smaller hooks often find more meat than larger, especially much larger, hooks. See the pic below for a representation of effective hooking based on hook size:

If you're using plastic leader material 40# would be my barest minimum, feeling much more comfortable at 50 or 60. Problem with plastic in those weights is that it's pretty stiff. Could be a plus as well as a minus. For me it's 1 x 7 uncoated 20 - 30 steel (very thing, cut proof and cheap) but I've been playing with the 7 x 7 coated 20# steel (tieable with conventional knots, more flexible but more expensive).
To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Offline jedhead

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Jan 13, 2020, 12:10 PM »
Esox,
What would your hook choice be for pike in a state that does not allow a treble?

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #11 on: Jan 13, 2020, 12:49 PM »
Esox,
What would your hook choice be for pike in a state that does not allow a treble?

That's a fair question right there. Several states disallow multiple hooks or hook points or barbs. Since I don't fish a single hook it's tough for me to make a specific recommendation as I have no direct experience there.

Generally stick with mainstream manufacturers: Eagle Claw, Mustad, Owner, Daiichi or Gamakatsu. Of those EC probably has the slimmest selection as the rest also have pretty significant saltwater options and don't be afraid of looking at salt stuff if it fits your criteria. Rules would be the same: wide gap (if you get Kahle hooks in 2 or 3x  ;)), high strength (at least 2x) without an overly heavy wire and I honestly wouldn't look at anything larger than say #4.

Lotsa choices. I've got boxes and boxes of treble hooks I've collected over the years searching for the Grail of hooks. Don't know what I'll do with all of them now I've settled in but sometimes that's the process. Use your best judgement, take a swing, evaluate and (possibly) recalibrate. Repeat as necessary. Kinda like finding the perfect factory ammo for a long range rifle.

Betcha there's plenty of guys here with firsthand experience that can give you a more direct recommendation. They'll be along...

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #12 on: Jan 13, 2020, 01:02 PM »
I will add that i only use offset circle hooks.i have found straight circles dont hook up as much plus ive had fish swallow them.if using those i offset them with a pair of pliers if need be.i really like gama octopus circle hooks and even tho they are for catfish i also like team catfish double action circles.can set the hook or put pressure on it.pretty forgiving circle hook.

Offline PIKE426

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Jan 14, 2020, 06:41 AM »
I use quick strike rigs depending bait size available.  size 6,8

Offline bootstrap

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Jan 14, 2020, 04:17 PM »
siwash with a slight bend to the side on my jigging spoons.

Offline Smitty5313

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Jan 14, 2020, 04:29 PM »
I’m a fan of the owner SSW cutting point hook. 3/0 size.

Offline NateD

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Jan 14, 2020, 04:35 PM »
Esox,

Basically any J-hook will work fine, owner is my favorite. Not really sure what size, but whatever you use for bass is good as long as its sharp.

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #17 on: Jan 14, 2020, 06:09 PM »
Esox,

5/0 to 7/0 offset octopus works well for me.

Offline Dirt23

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Jan 17, 2020, 05:37 AM »
Has anyone seen Gerry rigs  live bait clip they look like they might work good for large northern bait for single hooks any thoughts?

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #19 on: Jan 17, 2020, 12:26 PM »
Has anyone seen Gerry rigs  live bait clip they look like they might work good for large northern bait for single hooks any thoughts?

I've  not used that specific one but I have some experience bridle rigging large suckers for muskies. Some were wire "clips" much like that I've also used a baiting needle to thread a ribber band through the nose. Another variation had a safety pin like deal and was lightly fastened through the skin.

All had the same purpose: To allow the hook to pull free from the bait on the set. Usually they are used on quite large baits and especially with a single hook. Often times if the hook doesn't pull free it can bury into the bait preventing a good hook up on the fish, hence the rig.

Personally, with a single hook, I'm comfortable nicking it under the skin along the dorsal with the point coming out the end closest the head. That way when the pike swallows it, usually head first, the tension of the line tilts the hook back, point up maximizing hooking percentages.

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #20 on: Jan 17, 2020, 08:09 PM »
I have lost a few from the hook point burying.  Rig I saw for trolling suckers for musky was good.  Take a treble, straighten one of the points, jam it into the sucker x2, one up near its head and one further back.  Never tried it on a quick strike rig but would be fun to give it a go one day. 

Offline Doeslayer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Jan 17, 2020, 08:44 PM »
https://www.scheels.com/p/mustad-pike-hook-3-pack/02353410614.html?gclid=Cj0KCQiA04XxBRD5ARIsAGFygj_knDBHWUC-QpAHrUgWwEVlcP2_-6R0YjpJ5tjhBB5jLxyUNh5jxpEaAlRJEALw_wcB
Try these for pike... You get a good horizontal presentation for your deadbaits... use a quick strike rig if your state or province allows
Catch and release, into the grease!
"gotta be somebody needs some killin" ~ Major Payne

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #22 on: Jan 18, 2020, 06:52 AM »
https://www.scheels.com/p/mustad-pike-hook-3-pack/02353410614.html?gclid=Cj0KCQiA04XxBRD5ARIsAGFygj_knDBHWUC-QpAHrUgWwEVlcP2_-6R0YjpJ5tjhBB5jLxyUNh5jxpEaAlRJEALw_wcB
Try these for pike... You get a good horizontal presentation for your deadbaits... Lice use a quick strike rig if your state or province allows

Please do not use these hooks if you intend catch and release fishing. Once a literal staple hook in this state for pike, this hook is a proven fish killer. Because of the camming action of the hook on the set the point very often winds up through the back of the mouth roof in or near the brain cavity causing mortal damage. Releases seem good but post release mortality is as high as 80% when using this style of hook.

Also known as "Swedish hooks", while not outlawed in WI are very hard to find here due to changing public perception and retailer action to limit the use here. I think that's a good thing.

Offline PIKE426

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #23 on: Jan 18, 2020, 11:29 AM »

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
  • The secret to fishing...fish where the fish are.
« Reply #24 on: Jan 18, 2020, 11:41 AM »
Please do not use these hooks if you intend catch and release fishing. Once a literal staple hook in this state for pike, this hook is a proven fish killer. Because of the camming action of the hook on the set the point very often winds up through the back of the mouth roof in or near the brain cavity causing mortal damage. Releases seem good but post release mortality is as high as 80% when using this style of hook.

Also known as "Swedish hooks", while not outlawed in WI are very hard to find here due to changing public perception and retailer action to limit the use here. I think that's a good thing.

Exactly. Used to use them YEARS ago...until I decided that releasing a sub legal fish meant that it wasn't going to make it into a legal one. Not good.
"Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam circumspice."

Offline PIKE426

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #25 on: Jan 18, 2020, 01:53 PM »

Offline fishermarsh

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #26 on: Jan 18, 2020, 02:46 PM »
I fish with tip ups for perch a lot and hook up with pike on a regular basis.  I just use a single #8 hook with a fathead on 8 lb test line.  I agree with Daryl, I never let a pike run for miles with my bait, I set the hook as soon as possible.  No, I'm not actually targeting pike but I almost always hook up with one and 95% of the time when I set the hook right away I get a perfect hook set in the corner of the mouth and in the past 10 years I can't remember EVER having a northern cut my line.  People call me crazy, but it works for me every time.  I'm also a catch and release guy so trebles, especially more than one is a nightmare to try to unhook without hurting the fish.

Offline woodyvt

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • When the going is tough. The tough go ice fishing!
« Reply #27 on: Jan 24, 2020, 05:01 AM »
1/0 octopus on 40lb fluorocarbon leader.....I catch many large pike and 95% of the time they get hooked in lip/mouth. Really dont lose many either.

I have tried many different hooks and personally found this set up to be the best so far, but do try different set ups once in a while.

Good luck!
The closest flag up may be the one that is behind you !

Offline Pike Panther

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #28 on: Jan 24, 2020, 12:30 PM »
I prefer a 2/0 to 4/0 Owner or Gamagatzu.  They are more expensive but are a really sharp hook with not too big of a wedge which helps hook sets.  I also frequently sharpen my hooks which will notably increase your hook set ratio.  Spend the extra money on good #30 pound 9"-12" ball bearing leaders that have the cross over snap.  The leader acts as your weight so there is no need for shot.  I don't let my fish run with the bait very long because I want the option to the let the fish go if I choose to.  I prefer to let all the bigger breeder pike go that are 9 pounds and bigger.  Pike are an aggressive fish.  Any fish you may miss will come back and hit one of your other lines before long.  I have fished with guys that use quick strike rigs many times.  It's sad to see how many fish don't make it because the trebles are burried in the throat and there is no way to get them out without significant damage.  I can get any single hook out of the throat by going from the back of the gills with a pair of good long nose pliers.  Good luck boys.  Hopefully you get a 15+ pounder this year. 

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.