The ice fishing VT boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Flip Over Ice Shelter  (Read 1794 times)

Offline JMailbox8

• Team IceShanty Regular
Flip Over Ice Shelter
« on: Jan 21, 2020, 10:54 PM »
I'm thinking hard about getting a flip over shelter. Those with them, what are your thoughts, recommendations, concerns? I'm open to buying used too if you are selling. Thanks!

Offline Doeslayer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Flip Over Ice Shelter
« Reply #1 on: Jan 21, 2020, 11:12 PM »
After many years in a shappell dx3000 i picked up an eskimo eskape 300.... Although it is very heavy i love it... Tons of room and all my gear is right together... Also i love the bench style seat this model has
Catch and release, into the grease!
"gotta be somebody needs some killin" ~ Major Payne

Offline Cub

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Jan 22, 2020, 05:24 AM »
I have an Otter Cabin flipover. Pulling by hand is limited to an inch or two of snow at the most. It's a bear! Smitty sled helps a little..
Can't beat it pulling with a Snowmobile or wheeler..
Jig em up!

Offline Adam.love05

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 22, 2020, 05:51 AM »
I've got a 2 person clam. I love the thing.. They are a bit heavy loaded down but it's totally worth it. The ease of moving and loading up for the day outweighs the cons of having to drag it..

Plus it's good exercise!

Offline JMailbox8

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 22, 2020, 06:54 AM »
I've got a 2 person clam. I love the thing.. They are a bit heavy loaded down but it's totally worth it. The ease of moving and loading up for the day outweighs the cons of having to drag it..

Plus it's good exercise!

That's my exact thought. Knowing I can pack up everything while still warm in my shelter is awesome. Just flip it over and walk away. Though I would probably make a Smitty sled for it.

Offline stick eyes

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 22, 2020, 07:16 AM »
I have had a clam scout for years and love it.  Has held up very well and is great if you fish solo like i do most of the time.

Offline Dieseldog

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 22, 2020, 07:32 AM »
I have had the Shappell Fx100 for two season and really love it. I like the fact that I can put it up half way and use it as a wind break. Or you can flip it all the way over and be totally out of the elements. Highly recommend this flip over. So easy to use.
I plan to live forever. So far so good!

Offline VTMTB

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Jan 22, 2020, 12:41 PM »
I love my Eskimo Wide 1 inferno but after a MTB accident this summer i'm still learning to walk with 2 plates and 27 screws in my leg so dragging it is out of the question. If you're interested PM me; used one year and selling for a song with the cover and Hyfax kit. Good luck with your search!

Offline Mancaveburnett

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Jan 22, 2020, 12:52 PM »
I went with a heavy 2 man, many years ago. After many years of experience if I could do it over again I would go with a light 1 man. I also have striker bibs and parka which makes staying out in any weather tolerable. Unless Im using my 4 wheeler I stick with my jetsled set up. Considering this winter I may not even break out my 2 man.

Offline SKIFFLAKEJIMMY

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Jan 22, 2020, 12:56 PM »
I have had the Shappell Fx100 for two season and really love it. I like the fact that I can put it up half way and use it as a wind break. Or you can flip it all the way over and be totally out of the elements. Highly recommend this flip over. So easy to use.
I actually have 2 of these. I use 1 and 1 for my wife, or a visitor. About as light as you can get.
Thank you Lord for thinkin bout me. I'm alive and doin fine!!!!!!

Offline fishingidjit

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Jan 22, 2020, 04:16 PM »
I have a 2 man Otter and I love it BUT as previously stated it is heavy 105 # ,Pulls hard after 6-7 inches of snow.

Offline WALL E GATOR

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Jan 22, 2020, 04:26 PM »
ESKIMO SIERRA THERMAL. Not as big as others but still fits 2 grown men. Not as heavy as some. I can put in back of truck by myself if necessary. Fits in the bed of my Ram1500 with a jetsled next to it, check the size some of these 2 man flips are huge and will take up the whole bed of your truck. I like the insulated versions better, might be a bit heavier but worth it in my opinion.
FISH ON! and Tight Lines

Offline lynng

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Jan 22, 2020, 05:27 PM »
Just to offer a little different view. I just made the switch from a hub (Clam Bigfoot XL4000T) that I’ve used for several years, to a flip over (Clam Nanook XLT) and I’m not sure it was a good move. For me the jury is still out. I’m 73, fish by myself, walk to my fishing using a Smitty sled, and don’t move the shelter very much. I jig inside with a finder and a camera plus a dead stick. I usually also set up three traps outside as kind of “scouts” and jig those holes if they turn “fishy”. I thought the Flip over would be better for many of the reasons stated above; easier to set up especially in wind, more convenient with the sled inside the tent, more mobile.  I choose the new Clam Nanook XLT after researching most of the models available. The one persons were just too small for my comfort with the equipment I use. The Nanook was the lightest  two person at 50 lbs without seats which weigh 14 lbs each.  It also had good height for the weight at 68 inches.

Here are some things I’m a bit disappointed with:

1. It’s much more difficult to load in and out of my SUV than the separate Jet sled and Hub. I built a ramp that has helped some.
2. The space inside still feels small compared to my Hub. Because of the slope in the front, you don’t have much room the set the hook. I use three holes; jigging, deadstick, flasher/camera, plus Buddy heater.
3. Set up and take down is not really that much easier. I still put in 4 anchors, 2 front and 2 rear. Collapsing the 4 hoops takes a little effort.
4. A regular one tank Buddy heater is too much heat. I need to keep turning it off and relighting it.

I think the major advantage is mobility. So, I would encourage you to think about how you transport your gear to and from the lake. Do you walk or use a machine on the lake. How much room you need inside the shelter. And do you move once your on the lake.

If you don’t move much, a hub may be a better choice. You get a lot more room and height for the weight.  I will likely go back to using my hub more than the flip.

Offline FishinDJ

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Jan 22, 2020, 10:07 PM »
If theres snow....forget pulling by hand unless it's a short haul. That being said, I hate fishing without one-walk, drill, fish, move, repeat. A small buddy heater, and 1 or 2 propane cylinders will keep it toasty all day.

Offline flyfish413

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Jan 23, 2020, 09:31 AM »
Just got the Clam Legend XL thermal and it's awesome. Heavy and a tough drag in the snow but I have a smitty for when there's more than a few inches, and once I get to the spot I want to fish I don't usually move more than a few times because I always set up traps.

Check Cabelas, they just put a bunch of them on sale...the one I got just went to $434 from $579 dammit

Offline TRT

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Trout/Salmon
« Reply #15 on: Jan 23, 2020, 09:40 AM »
I have the Clam Scout with expanding front which provides a bigger fish able area. They last made this model about 6-7 years ago.
I get closterphobic in it. Its light about 50 pounds and tows easy by hand. I use it 50/50 with a Otter hub Pro cabin 2 man.
Both units have pros an cons, the Clam sets up in 2 seconds is easy to run an gun. The Otter is warmer when fully set up.

Offline troutcrazy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Jan 23, 2020, 10:09 AM »
I regularly haul my clam on snow, using a smitty sled.  On foot.  It's work but it's possible.

The haul is starting to get old (or more likely it's me starting to get old).  If I know I'll be fishing in one spot, I might bring a hub in a jet sled instead. 

It's hard to beat the flip for crappie fishing, IMO!

If I had it to do over, I might shop around for the lightest model.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.