The ice fishing VT boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Caspian lake rescue  (Read 1037 times)

Offline David Vadnais

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • My passion?ICE FISHING
Caspian lake rescue
« on: Jan 21, 2020, 10:08 AM »
At approx 1630 Monday 1/20/2020 Hardwick Police Department contacted Greensboro Fire advising a truck had partially fallen through the ice on Caspian Lake near sunken island. Both persons in the vehicle were okay and had made it safely to shore. Four department members trained in Ice Water Rescue met and set up safety lines to prepare for the recovery. Caledonia Wrecker Service was dispatched to recover the truck that was one mile out on the ice. Upon arrival, it was determined the ice was not thick enough for a tow truck, and an all terrain recovery vehicle was called in. The “SHERP” from B&B Towing & Recovery / Truck Repair and Tire Center arrived and was able to winch the truck out of the ice. All personell and equipment were off the ice by 2100. Many thanks to all parties involved for a safe and successful recovery. Please use caution when going out on the Ice. There is no such thing as safe ice.

(Photos and text Greensboro Fire department)

David Vadnais

Offline TRT

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Trout/Salmon
Re: Caspian lake rescue
« Reply #1 on: Jan 21, 2020, 10:52 AM »
Glad no one got hurt it was only a matter of time.  Ice appeared safe (walking) on Seymour, Echo & Elligo this past weekend but long ways from
driving on it with a truck.   

Offline fishingidjit

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Jan 21, 2020, 03:46 PM »
Some folks leave their brain at home when they fill up on beer!

Offline Hardwater Renegade

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 22, 2020, 08:58 AM »
I live not to far from Caspian and we have had some well below 0 nights over the past week or so and few nights back a month ago, I was surprised to hear a vehicle had partially gone through. But you just never know, that is why my truck stays on solid ground. Glad no one was hurt.

Offline SkunkLuvver

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Jan 22, 2020, 03:46 PM »
The fact they made it a mile out means they were at least partly right  ;D

Offline Fish Farmer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Jan 22, 2020, 05:10 PM »
Looks like good snow cover....which would make seeing weak spots difficult. Be safe out there.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.