The ice fishing VT boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Trip advice for Caspian mid February  (Read 4905 times)

Offline FreshwaterPhil

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • FreshwaterPhil.com - Montreal fishing
Trip advice for Caspian mid February
« on: Jan 17, 2020, 01:52 PM »
Planning a trip down to Caspian Lake for a couple days early to mid February. Goal is to jig for hopefully double digit lakers, not much interest in smaller ones. Notices Highland lodges nearby, wanted to know if any of you had experiences on the lodge, as well as the quality of trophy lakers nearby, or tips on some decent areas to try.

Thanks.

Phil

Offline Light liner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Rather be judged by 12 then carried by 6.
Re: Trip advice for Caspian mid February
« Reply #1 on: Jan 17, 2020, 02:31 PM »
Double digit!
Champlain
Memphremagog

Offline ice fiend

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • im a die hard ice fishing addict 'nuff said
« Reply #2 on: Jan 17, 2020, 06:08 PM »
There’s a few trophies in caspian but mostly they’re 19-20” that’s about average
i told myself id be back by 2 i guess i didnt factor in that the fish were biting

Offline troutcrazy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Jan 17, 2020, 09:50 PM »
I've never stayed at Highland Lodge, but I've worked there a few times at special events.  It's really nice.  Probably pricey.  They have Hill Farmstead beer on tap, which is as good as it gets.

Offline FreshwaterPhil

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Jan 18, 2020, 05:04 PM »
There’s a few trophies in caspian but mostly they’re 19-20” that’s about average

Is Maidstone any better for Trophies? I know Willoughby has given up some big ones, but seems like very few in numbers, and like ice conditions to variable for my comfort.

Offline fishingidjit

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Jan 19, 2020, 12:55 PM »
Phil. I'm not trying to sound negative but big lakers in VT are few and far between.If you catch a 25-30 inch 5-7 pound trout you are having a GOOD day. Most of the trout lakes give up a 20 pounder every year but there are 100's of fisherman and 1,000's of hours going into the one or two big lakers.

Offline FreshwaterPhil

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Jan 19, 2020, 01:34 PM »
Phil. I'm not trying to sound negative but big lakers in VT are few and far between.If you catch a 25-30 inch 5-7 pound trout you are having a GOOD day. Most of the trout lakes give up a 20 pounder every year but there are 100's of fisherman and 1,000's of hours going into the one or two big lakers.

Yes, I'm well aware of that. I don't mind trophy hunting every now and then, I spend much of my open water season targeting big carp, muskies, etc. Unfortunately, Quebec doesn't allow us to fish for lakers in winter across the province. I still get some while jigging for other species, but I'm simply looking for for my best bet to catch a  double digit through the ice. Without any crazy travelling, my most realistic shots would be in VT or NY, and VT seems to have a bigger choice of fishable lakes within a few hours drive of Montreal.

Offline SalmonAndStriper Stalker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Jan 19, 2020, 07:47 PM »
Yes, I'm well aware of that. I don't mind trophy hunting every now and then, I spend much of my open water season targeting big carp, muskies, etc. Unfortunately, Quebec doesn't allow us to fish for lakers in winter across the province. I still get some while jigging for other species, but I'm simply looking for for my best bet to catch a  double digit through the ice. Without any crazy travelling, my most realistic shots would be in VT or NY, and VT seems to have a bigger choice of fishable lakes within a few hours drive of Montreal.
NY gives out bigger fish more frequently but will be more of a drive. all my buddies who fish Lakers agree NY is the place to be and is worth the extra drive. not too sure on locations for sizable fish but if George freezes up its probably the best laker fishery in the northeast.

Offline Light liner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Rather be judged by 12 then carried by 6.
« Reply #8 on: Jan 19, 2020, 08:00 PM »
I used to spend alot of time chasing lakers.
My biggest came out of Willoughby. That was in the winter of '87.
Back then quite a few were caught every year out of all the NEK trout waters.
Large ones get caught but not very often.
If your just interested in fighting a 10-12 pound laker not too uncommon out of champlain.
But, not the same fish.
And the areas that hold those larger lakers rarely freeze.

Champlain
Memphremagog

Offline FreshwaterPhil

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Jan 19, 2020, 09:09 PM »
I'm on foot, so limited to maybe a mile or two at most from the launch, depending on snow cover. Guess I'll do a bit more homework before going.

Offline TRT

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Trout/Salmon
« Reply #10 on: Jan 21, 2020, 08:10 AM »
Arnolds Bay on Champlain provides good access and some big lakers. Lake George would be second.
Yep, Caspian, Willy, Maidstone & Magog all produce some big lakers on a yearly basis but if you wanted
a double digit stay on Champlain on Southern end in a couple weeks as best bet.   

Offline FreshwaterPhil

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Jan 21, 2020, 08:46 AM »
Arnolds Bay on Champlain provides good access and some big lakers. Lake George would be second.
Yep, Caspian, Willy, Maidstone & Magog all produce some big lakers on a yearly basis but if you wanted
a double digit stay on Champlain on Southern end in a couple weeks as best bet.

Arnolds looks sort of shallow, would I need to venture out deeper?

Offline Hardwater Renegade

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Jan 21, 2020, 09:34 AM »
Not to get off the subject here, but be careful on Caspian if you are planning to drive out. A truck that was about a mile from the access partially went through last weekend. B&B towing had to take there Sherp out to get it pulled back out. Be safe out there.

Offline FreshwaterPhil

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Jan 21, 2020, 09:41 AM »
Not to get off the subject here, but be careful on Caspian if you are planning to drive out. A truck that was about a mile from the access partially went through last weekend. B&B towing had to take there Sherp out to get it pulled back out. Be safe out there.

I'd be on foot if I did do down there.

Offline TRT

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Trout/Salmon
« Reply #14 on: Jan 21, 2020, 10:55 AM »
Yes fish the offshore reefs and get there before first light. There are good areas in walking distance.

Offline FreshwaterPhil

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Jan 21, 2020, 11:21 AM »
Yes fish the offshore reefs and get there before first light. There are good areas in walking distance.

Any parking nearby? Where is access point?

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Jan 21, 2020, 01:08 PM »
Boat access is right across from Willeys store (7 breezy ave) or main street which ever you prefer to call it. They do have a big parking area but it tends to fill up quick especially on the weekends.

Offline FreshwaterPhil

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Jan 21, 2020, 01:23 PM »
Boat access is right across from Willeys store (7 breezy ave) or main street which ever you prefer to call it. They do have a big parking area but it tends to fill up quick especially on the weekends.

Likely to be a weekday. Any lure preference for jigging? Sort of shallow for flasher...

Offline TRT

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Trout/Salmon
« Reply #18 on: Jan 21, 2020, 02:02 PM »
Take some tackle variety an don't be afraid to tip with fresh cut bait.

Offline FreshwaterPhil

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #19 on: Jan 21, 2020, 02:08 PM »
Take some tackle variety an don't be afraid to tip with fresh cut bait.

Cool. Usually tip with mealworm or smelt heads. Imagine the smelt heads may not be legal there unless I get minnows from local bait shop.

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Jan 21, 2020, 02:39 PM »
Always done decent with bucktails especially white in color, and as mentioned attach some dead bait fish. Best of luck to ya man if you make the trip down.

Offline FreshwaterPhil

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #21 on: Feb 07, 2020, 08:15 AM »
After much research, I flaked out on this one. As I had a bunch of airline miles for a free plane ticket, and family in Texas, I decided to scrap my trophy laker plans to spend a week in the sun fishing for buffs, one of the last 2 species on my freshwater bucket list. Trip won't cost me much more than a couple nights at motel up here.

Funny enough, I did get a bit of redemption a couple days ago. Was out with a friend for big pike, not too far from VT border. Set our tip ups, then jigged for perch a bit deeper. School of perch suddenly disappeared on flasher, big mark smacked my lure a few feet of bottom. Though accidental and not intended, it ended up being my biggest ice laker at 28 inches, beating my previous biggest by 1.5 inches.

After seeing it come through my 8 inch ice hole, I'm glad I didn't attempt going after bigger ones with my Nils. When I do finally make it down there for trophies, definitely going to use the 10" Jiffy. Last thing I need is to put in all that effort and have one too big to fit :)

Offline shiveringjoe

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #22 on: Feb 07, 2020, 09:22 AM »
Nice laker! Are you talking about smallmouth buffalo for Texas? If so, they are an awesome fish. I worked in San Marcos for a summer in high school and I hooked in to 2 of them but had absolutely no chance at landing either one. What is the other bucket list fish?

Offline FreshwaterPhil

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #23 on: Feb 07, 2020, 09:29 AM »
Nice laker! Are you talking about smallmouth buffalo for Texas? If so, they are an awesome fish. I worked in San Marcos for a summer in high school and I hooked in to 2 of them but had absolutely no chance at landing either one. What is the other bucket list fish?

Yes, smallmouth buffalo. I do quite a bit of carp fishing, but we don't get buffs up here. Hooked up with some carpers that were willing to invite me out with them once I'm down there. As I'm geared up for big carp, not too worried about being able to land them. Just hope I get lucky enough to hook into them.

Other freshwater species is white sturgeons in the Fraser river. I've caught a fair share of lake sturgeons here, but they only grow to a fraction of the size of the Western beasts. Hope to make it out there with some friends over the next 2-3 years.

Offline fishingidjit

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Feb 09, 2020, 04:43 PM »
Nice laker! :thumbsup:

Offline Brochet

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Feb 09, 2020, 07:53 PM »
nice togue !

Offline FreshwaterPhil

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #26 on: Feb 10, 2020, 05:57 AM »
nice togue !

First time I hear them referred to as "togue". Then again, I live in a French province.

Offline FreshwaterPhil

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #27 on: Feb 21, 2020, 03:01 PM »
Ok, this ones going a bit off topic, but my buff trip to Dallas went quite well. You can read more on my blog at:
http://freshwater-phil.blogspot.com/2020/02/fishing-for-buffs-buffalo-in-texas.html

Some teaser pics...

Offline fishingidjit

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #28 on: Feb 23, 2020, 12:09 PM »
Phil, Nice fish!

Offline FreshwaterPhil

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #29 on: Mar 11, 2020, 07:56 PM »
Another accidental laker, this beat my previous best from last month. Miracle I was able to land the 30 incher through a 6 inch perch hole in 20 inches of ice.
Took selfie, I was alone.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.