Author Topic: Frabill Commando  (Read 935 times)

Offline WiMeatHunter

• IceShanty Rookie
Frabill Commando
« on: Jan 15, 2018, 07:45 AM »
Hey fellow Ice Heads,

I have an older Frabill Commando that I recently started using again. It is a great little shack except I think Frabill never thought about fishing in the wind. The bottom pole that rests on the ice seems to always want to blow up and it lets a lot of wind into the shack. I searched and found some older mods that people did, just want to see if anyone still uses a Commando and see if they made any mods that they would be willing to share, pics always welcome!!! Thanks in advance!

WiMeatHunter

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
Re: Frabill Commando
« Reply #1 on: Jan 15, 2018, 09:44 AM »
ive been fishing out of my commando lately because theres no snow on the ice and its easy to pull.its a lot heavier than my fx100 but its a great large comfortable 1 man flip.make sure your tent isn't on too tight that will make the front bar stay up off the ice.i don't have any problems with mine set up back to the wind.

Offline FishinBill

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Jan 16, 2018, 10:29 AM »
I didn't have much problem either when the back was in the wind but I taped a chain to the front bar for weight when the wind is swirling. Works great with that little extra weight.

Offline 32footsteps

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Jan 16, 2018, 11:48 PM »
I just acquired one of these a few days ago. It was given to me by my brother in law and as they say....anything free is worth saving up for.

Haven't had a chance to trick it out yet but the first thing I did was to ditch the swivel seat in order to cut some weight. Took a piece of plywood, cut it to size, and added some angle iron to it so the plywood seat won't slide forwards or backwards. Getting it out for the first time tomorrow and then I'll have a better feel for what I'm going to do to it.

I was kinda hesitant at first about him giving it to me because I'm used to the room of an 8x8 hub and was keeping my eyes peeled for deals on a lightweight two man like the Eskimo Sierra, EVO1, or FX200 and go to work dropping weight out of those. When I set it up in the yard and sat in the thing I was surprised at how much room it had. Much more than I expected. So I'll be keeping tabs on this thread to get ideas as well. 

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #4 on: Jan 17, 2018, 01:52 PM »
the  seat is one of the best features in my commando.i would never remove it.i sit on a board in my fx100 when thers a lot of snow and I have to go light on gear.the frabill commando seat is great!!

Offline 32footsteps

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Jan 17, 2018, 02:48 PM »
Walked out close to two miles one way today...plus with an unfamiliar shack and fishing location I purposely over packed. Now that I have a feel for this thing I’ll probably throw the seat back in when I’m not taking a stroll to Guam and back.

In certain situations I can see myself bringing one of my hubs along with it to use as a base camp.

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #6 on: Jan 17, 2018, 03:05 PM »
Walked out close to two miles one way today...plus with an unfamiliar shack and fishing location I purposely over packed. Now that I have a feel for this thing I’ll probably throw the seat back in when I’m not taking a stroll to Guam and back.

In certain situations I can see myself bringing one of my hubs along with it to use as a base camp.
yeah when theres deep snow,pack light those commandos are like dragging a deer.i use my fx100 on deep snow days.or one of my hubs on a smitty sled.the commando has so much room in them for a big guy like me but getting to the front of the sled when flipped down is difficult with the seat in, but that seat is so comfortable on a all day trip.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.