Author Topic: Through the roof chimney  (Read 3755 times)

Offline . Ron

• Team IceShanty Addict
Through the roof chimney
« on: Oct 05, 2015, 01:17 PM »
Does anyone have any suggestions on how to vent my chimney through the roof of my new shack?  Obviously it needs to be safe, and preferably inexpensive. 

Here's the scoop...The roof is built with 2x4s, 16" oc.  It's sheathed with 7/16" OSB.  It's got a slight slope of 3'over the 20' length.  (I know.  It's a beast)  That should equate to 1.8:12.  The roof is covered with rubber roof.   I currently have a couple of pieces of triple wall chimney pieces, one 2' and one 1'. 

Are there any good "hacks" for this?

Offline manosteel00

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Through the roof chimney
« Reply #1 on: Oct 05, 2015, 01:26 PM »
I'd get a wall thimble and go out the side of the wall.

Offline . Ron

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Oct 05, 2015, 01:31 PM »
For a number of reasons I'd like to go through the roof.  The stove is a top vent, so having a straight pipe would give it a much betterddraft over a vent with two 90 degree elbows.  Plus, the stove would be directly supporting the pipe.  And then there is the fact that the shack is already 8' wide.  Putting a chimney on the side makes it another foot wide for transportation purposes.

Offline Capt.Jim-N.J.

« Reply #3 on: Oct 05, 2015, 01:37 PM »
Newbie here - carpenter by trade - try a boot flashing made from galv. steel available at your local hvac supplier or fireplace shop  - a ring to prevent rain and/or water from coming in around pipe - a gal. can of roof tar to seal the flashing and the seams after install
Now is the time for all good men and women to engage in the sport of ice fishing

Offline . Ron

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Oct 05, 2015, 01:45 PM »
I have a boot flashing available.  What would go in the area between the flashing and the insulated pipe?  It seems like that would be drafty.

Offline Capt.Jim-N.J.

« Reply #5 on: Oct 05, 2015, 02:42 PM »
The ring I mentioned slides down over the pipe to sit on top of the flashing - before the ring is seated, seal with roof tar where the pipe exits the flashing - seat the ring and seal the top of the ring - don't be afraid to cut the flashing to fit the pipe
Now is the time for all good men and women to engage in the sport of ice fishing

Offline Capt.Jim-N.J.

« Reply #6 on: Oct 05, 2015, 02:52 PM »
You made mention of the pipe pieces - what is the pipe diameter ?

Offline . Ron

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Oct 05, 2015, 03:19 PM »
They are 6" ID.  Can't remember which brand they are.

Offline Capt.Jim-N.J.

« Reply #8 on: Oct 05, 2015, 04:00 PM »
Brand does not matter - Place the flashing over the top of the pipe - the pipe must go inside the boot for the flashing to work properly

Offline Capt.Jim-N.J.

« Reply #9 on: Oct 05, 2015, 04:13 PM »
The build thread you have shows a sturdy, well built portable - good luck with her - which end are you going to put the stove at - high or low?

Offline Capt.Jim-N.J.

« Reply #10 on: Oct 05, 2015, 04:14 PM »
Dinnertime - I'll be back later

Offline . Ron

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Oct 05, 2015, 08:20 PM »
The stove will go about 6' back from the short end on the wall opposite the door.  The tall end will consist of a diskette under a loft bed.  The short end will house a couple of recliners for jigging. 

Offline Capt.Jim-N.J.

« Reply #12 on: Oct 07, 2015, 10:25 AM »
Sorry about the delay in getting back to you - Had to have some prostate work done yesterday - Stuck home with a foley catheter till Tuesday - Anyway, without seeing the pipe it is kind of hard to visualize running the pipe thru the roof - what size pipe will you be using for the stove?

Offline . Ron

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Oct 07, 2015, 12:52 PM »
I have been convinced by a wise old fella' to go through the wall with the stovepipe.  So I guess I'll just get a thimble and do it.

Thanks for your help.  Hope the procedure went easily and that you're mending.

-Ron

Offline Capt.Jim-N.J.

« Reply #14 on: Oct 07, 2015, 02:46 PM »
Back to work next Wed. - Good Luck with the shack on the water - Stay warm and catch Big

Offline jiggenfrogs

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Oct 08, 2015, 08:01 PM »
Why not go with a vented propane heater?  I know wood heat is great and i do love a wood stove, but in a small area the heat is perfect for a spell and then too hot/cold.  Vented propane heaters are spendy, but set the thermostat, leave it and wake up at the same temp you went to bed in.  Use a 100lb cylinder and only change it out a couple times a winter.  Shack looks great and I'm sure you guys will have a blast. 
If you wantah be a fishah you gotah smoke a swishah!

Offline . Ron

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Oct 08, 2015, 08:14 PM »
I'll have a propane heater for backup, and have had propane in shacks in the past.  I just love a wood fire, and my wife requested a wood stove in this shack.  Whereas we'll be using it as much as a camp on our woodlot as an ice shack, she gets what she wants.

Offline jiggenfrogs

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Oct 09, 2015, 10:06 AM »
Sounds like your on the right track...keep the ol lady happy ;)  My wife is picking the colors and such on our new shack.   Sounds like you have a November deer camp and winter shanty.
If you wantah be a fishah you gotah smoke a swishah!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.