Author Topic: Portable Ice Shelters  (Read 3691 times)

Offline Ziehnertfish007

• IceShanty Rookie
Portable Ice Shelters
« on: Jan 31, 2014, 08:36 AM »
I am looking for a good all around Ice Shelter. Hopefully one that is under $200. They have one at Dicks called the Ht Instashak 2 person for around $130. I was wondering if this would be a good shelter.

Offline HybridHunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Portable Ice Shelters
« Reply #1 on: Jan 31, 2014, 08:47 AM »
If you want a good shanty you can rely on and not have worry about breaking poles, being insulated, easy to set up, you're going to need to spend a little more money. I guess the main question is are you going to be in fairly windy conditions at times? Because if so, the cheap shantys won't hold up to it for long. It's one thing checking them out in the store, but a whole different story out on the ice. I am not afraid to spend the money on a good shanty knowing it will last and won't leave me stranded in the cold/wind. I would find someone who has used what your looking at in the elements and get first hand reviews before you spend your money. But that's just me. Good luck
I am Muskies Inc.

Offline adkRoy

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Beware of squirrels playing banjos
« Reply #2 on: Jan 31, 2014, 09:58 AM »
This is what I reccomend and its in your price range:

http://www.fish307.com/ShappellWideHouse5500WideBodyHubShelters.aspx

New York State Ranger School Alumni 1994[

Offline bigal409

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Jan 31, 2014, 11:01 AM »
Check out Glen's. One of the sponsors. Insulated Eskimo Quickfish 3 for $199 with free shipping. Just ordered mine and it's on it's way.  ::)

Offline jmw5964

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Jan 31, 2014, 11:07 AM »
 I have the shappell wide house 5500 and love it saved my butt a few times. Easy to set up and have been out in some pretty windy days and it held up great just get a few extra anchors for the tether ropes and you will be all set

Offline fiskasassassin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 31, 2014, 11:22 AM »
frabil cabin style sled bottom keeps ur feet off ice easy set up and take down i can have it fish ready before other guys even get there pop-ups out of the bag no ice anchors needed as long as a bucket of fish or person in there 219$ at gander i believe it is similar to the shappell other guys mentioned o yeah bucket holders on sled for the drag out

Offline fiskasassassin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 31, 2014, 11:26 AM »
I am looking for a good all around Ice Shelter. Hopefully one that is under $200. They have one at Dicks called the Ht Instashak 2 person for around $130. I was wondering if this would be a good shelter.
before you buy any pop-up take it down and set it up before you buy some are a real pain in the arse especially clams

Offline bigredonice

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • keep searchin' 'till ya find 'em.
« Reply #7 on: Jan 31, 2014, 11:29 AM »
I would never waste my money on an insulated shanty...costs more, weighs more...

Offline perch-hound

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Jan 31, 2014, 11:36 AM »
Just go buy the cadillac of them all...

http://www.otteroutdoors.com/icegear.html

Offline mikerudy

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • The Laker Taker
« Reply #9 on: Jan 31, 2014, 11:37 AM »
I would never waste my money on an insulated shanty...costs more, weighs more...
I agree, if it gets that chilly out there, start the heater up and you can sit in there with shorts on. :icefish: :icefish: :icefish:

Mike
Dream Catcher

Offline KeukaZ71

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Jan 31, 2014, 03:24 PM »

I have the shanty you are talking about. I don't use shantys much, but still wanted to have one on those long cold days. There are pros and cons to the one you are talking about:

ProS
- light weight, small, compact, easy to transport
- easy to set up and collapse (takes a few trials to perfect it, but it is a lot easier than the clams)
- cheap (got mine for $89)
- stays warm with little buddy heater on low (sometimes I have to turn it off b/c it gets too hot)

Cons
- fabric is light weight (good for easy transport, but may not last as long. I can see a few pin holes near stitching)
- May take longer to set up on windy days because you have to anchor it to ice

I like it. It gets the job done. Down the road when I am older and have kids, they will inherit it. Then I'm buying myself an otter flip over to treat myself as a retirement gift. Still have 17 yrs to go. Lol

Offline Cusefan78

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Jan 31, 2014, 03:42 PM »
You get what you pay for. Don't get a cheapo after the first wind storm and all your poles are bent and your tent is torn you'll realize you just flushed that money down the toilet.
2011 King of the pond champion. Don't hate me cause I'm great!

Offline Dogger

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Jan 31, 2014, 03:46 PM »
Just go buy the cadillac of them all...

http://www.otteroutdoors.com/icegear.html

Otters are good but pricey!!! I got a Clam Yukon TC and have never had any problems. It is like $50-$75 less for the Clam than an Otter. If you're going to be dragging by hand do not go with an Otter they are heavy!!! If you look into the specs the Otters are all over 100lbs without gear for a two-man. The Yukon is about as heavy as I like at about 90lbs unpacked. If you get into any snow it can be a pain without a smitty sled...

Check eBay and Craigslist. Always good deals there.

Offline RaCKaHoLIC518

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Jan 31, 2014, 03:46 PM »
I have this shanty and am very pleased with everything except the windows.... I wish they were a little bigger. One big plus I have noticed compared to other shanty's that friends have is it is black and attracts and holds heat very well.

Offline Vfrancis

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Jan 31, 2014, 04:07 PM »
I have a frabil hut love it enogh room for two and lots of gear camp chairs heater flasher only weighs about 20 pounds up in minutes hold heat roof is insulated would not go any other way about 200-240 depends on we're you buy. I am 6'3" 270 and can stand straight up in my hut not many other shelters let me do that

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #15 on: Jan 31, 2014, 04:45 PM »
i have a one man and a  3 man pac  shack and love them  ....oh i have a shapple  flip top  and  had  a  few  ....  for me the  pac  shack is  the  best

JJ

« Reply #16 on: Jan 31, 2014, 04:55 PM »
I like the Shappell shelters. I've had a Rover since they first cam out about 15 years ago (put a new tent on it 2 years ago), a Rover 1.5 for 5 years and an Ice House 6000 for a couple years. All have held up well and do what I need.

I agree about the insulated ones, not needed. Had the Ice House out last Saturday with wind and a high around 15F, warmed up nicely with a Buddy heater set on low.

Offline Ice Wine

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Jan 31, 2014, 05:19 PM »
Another vote for the Eskimo Quickfish 3. Light and easy to set up and take down. Mine's on its fourth season and still in great shape. It is not insulated and most days just having two guys sitting there keeps it plenty warm. Only thing it needs are bigger windows.

Offline bayonne

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #18 on: Jan 31, 2014, 05:35 PM »
sportsmans guide has the Eskimo quick fish 3 for $180

Offline fishnfool59

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Jan 31, 2014, 05:38 PM »
the quck shak is kinda small. once you get 2 people inside not much room left for gear stoves heaters ect. the shappel shantys are nice.the hub type shantys are pretty nice to but no floor,which can get kinda sloppy after awhile and your feet get cold cause their on the ice instead of off the ice with a floor.
help protect and keep our great outdoors clean!

Offline bigZin315

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #20 on: Jan 31, 2014, 09:12 PM »
Just got the Cadillac Jason Mitchell elite series 2 man flip with lights and all can't wait to test it tomorrow
It's not that fishing is so important, it's just that so many things in life are so much less important

Offline pollock

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #21 on: Feb 01, 2014, 05:48 AM »
I have the exact shanty you are looking at and love it. For the money it works well. Its very roomy and sets up easy. It does take a few times to perfect set up and tear down. I was just on the lake recently in 40 mph gusts and it held up fine. I find if you position it so a corner is to the wind it works better.i have had mine for about 5 years and its holding up well. Only one time it didnt work real great was on bare ice with rp plus wind and about 5 degrees out but was able to stay out for a couple hours with no heat source. A propane lantern keeps it warm and a buddy heater works better.

Offline Alex Delarge

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #22 on: Feb 02, 2014, 11:47 AM »
Check out Glen's. One of the sponsors. Insulated Eskimo Quickfish 3 for $199 with free shipping. Just ordered mine and it's on it's way.  ::)
That is what I did also, got it on Friday, looks like a great shack, plenty of room for 2 people jigging , 3 if only one guy is jigging. From what I hear the insulated pop ups don't sweat and drip like the non-insulated one do when you heat them. Although it looks like Glen's has sold out, I figured it wouldn't last long.
It must be something in the water.

Offline bigal409

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Feb 03, 2014, 05:10 AM »
That is what I did also, got it on Friday, looks like a great shack, plenty of room for 2 people jigging , 3 if only one guy is jigging. From what I hear the insulated pop ups don't sweat and drip like the non-insulated one do when you heat them. Although it looks like Glen's has sold out, I figured it wouldn't last long.

Good thing we ordered ours when we did huh?  ;D ;D

Offline Fish Stalker

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Feb 06, 2014, 11:54 AM »
I have the Quickfish 3 and love it. As far as no floor I take a small piece of rubber mat I put my feet on. The rubber mats also keep my buckets from sliding around in my sled on the way out to the fishing hole.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.