Author Topic: pop up shacks versus flip over shacks  (Read 2807 times)

Offline otter300

• IceShanty Rookie
pop up shacks versus flip over shacks
« on: Dec 01, 2010, 06:16 PM »
I am looking to buy a new shack this year, I would like others opinions on the pros and cons on the pop up shack versus the flip over shacks.

Offline rwfishon

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: pop up shacks versus flip over shacks
« Reply #1 on: Dec 01, 2010, 06:26 PM »

Hi, I really like the 2 man pop-up. It goes up really fast, and is very comfortable for 2 people. I have the shappell 3000dx. I also have a clam flipover which is good for when i go by myself.  Good luck fishing this season. :tipup:

Offline Buckeye John

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Dec 01, 2010, 06:34 PM »
I like the flipover. I think it's more mobil.

Offline Lobes

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Just Fishin'
« Reply #3 on: Dec 01, 2010, 06:45 PM »
I like the pop up style better because they're lighter and very durable. The flip over does set up faster but then you're not getting your feet off of the ice unless you pack something to lay on the ice and that does a lot to help keep you warm. If I have to run and gun to keep up with the fish the shack may not get set up at all.

:tipup:
NBG

Mecosta County / Lakeview, Michigan

Offline topher7694

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Jiffy ProStaff/PK Lures ProStaff/Clam Powerstick
« Reply #4 on: Dec 01, 2010, 06:47 PM »
Better mobility with the flip over, but when you have a group of people fishing together, I like the hub style

Offline coboy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Dec 01, 2010, 08:51 PM »
I have an Otter flip over. I also use to have a pop up. If you move around a lot and you don't have to deal with wind,then either will work fine. Where I live it can get quite windy,40 mph plus gusts,the flip over withstands the wind much better and it's also easier to move around
when it is windy because all you have to do is flip it back over and you don't have to worry about the sail effect and going airborne.

Offline fishfeind

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Dec 01, 2010, 09:06 PM »
Id agree with coboy on the wind part I have a clam 2000 love it ive fished it in  30+ winds I built a draw bar for it just for towing while set up.  works in the winfd but i usualy slush it in which takes more time.
My buddy has a clam yukon heavy enough to fish in110mph wind but he cant use it by hisself unless he takes a trailer for the atv and sled. Ive built a rack on my atv so I can carry atv shack auger and all on my atv with out towing anything.  just have to take a pickup no trailer on icey roads.
Getem caught

servocam

« Reply #7 on: Dec 01, 2010, 09:15 PM »
When I was looking, I wanted to get an Otter flip over, however, I did not have a vehicle it would fit in.  I saw the Flip-over as much more mobile, so if are a runner, it would work better.  I ended up buying a hub / pop-up as love it.  I usually set up my Command Post and call it good.  Yes, a bit more trickey to set up in the wind vs. the flip-overs.

Two of my friends just traded in their Flip-overs for Pop-up hubs.

Offline jeffro9023

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Dec 01, 2010, 09:42 PM »
i myself started with a clam 2000 took/takes alot of abuse but im 6ft tall and could not stand up in it so i invested in the clam 5600 ahhhh nothing like head room...i love it even goin by myself (usually dont tho) still use my 2000 for short trips bein its lighter...i eyeball those one man flipovers every now and again but cant get myself to shell out more money on one....flasher is next on the list :thumbsup:

Offline Drifter_016

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #9 on: Dec 01, 2010, 09:52 PM »
I have a 2 man flip over and a 2 man hub.
I use the hub during the early season when I am walking on because it's light.
The flip over gets used as soon as there is enough ice to comfortably take my sled out.
The flip over I find much more mobile and I find it easier to set up and take down.
The hub style shelter I tend to have a little trouble getting it knocked down when it's really cold (-30 or colder) due to it stiffening up a bit.

Offline ICEMAN73

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Dec 01, 2010, 10:01 PM »
I have Shappell 3000dx. I like it a lot, don't super love it, seems like a lot more work than a clam style.  I'm 6'2 so I love the head room and the floor is nice.  Little tough if you are alone.  Fits in my Trailblazer real good.  If I had an ATV or a sled id go with the clam style.  Seems like you catch more fish if you could move around.

I also bought single pack shack for 90 bucks at GMountain 2 yrs ago.  I like it on calm days.   I don't like how hard it is to get out of the chair, but I'm 300 lbs.  It is comfortable once you have everything you need next to you within a 2 foot reach. Because If you have to get up, it's kind of a pain.

My .02

Offline Mainedog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Dec 01, 2010, 10:22 PM »
With pop ups, you have fill with your gear, and then empty your gear when putting up/taking down.

With a flip over, most of your gear is already in the sled.

Flip overs have easier mobility. 

I have owned/used DX3000, DX4000, Rover, and  couple hardsides.

The more I fish, the less I want to take.  Hence, less is more; more or less.

MD

Offline jeffro9023

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Dec 02, 2010, 12:00 AM »
i wish they made the pull overs a bit taller if you wanna stand up you gotta flip the thing up to me that seems like a drawback

Offline Gordo

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Dec 02, 2010, 12:15 AM »
i wish they made the pull overs a bit taller if you wanna stand up you gotta flip the thing up to me that seems like a drawback

Some of the larger (2-3 man) flipovers you can stand in. I am 6' and I can stand up in my Eskimo Eskape 300.

Offline GAMBELL

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • 41" PIKE 2005!
« Reply #14 on: Dec 02, 2010, 12:29 AM »
Pop ups take too much time to set up and take down.  Flips are easy set up but more weight to drag around. 

Offline jeffro9023

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Dec 02, 2010, 06:47 AM »
Some of the larger (2-3 man) flipovers you can stand in. I am 6' and I can stand up in my Eskimo Eskape 300.
how much does the eskimo eskape run for?

Offline hamiltonmike

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Dec 02, 2010, 06:57 AM »
i had a clam 5600 and upgraded to the summit(waiting for the thermal to show up :) )pop up. for me it is about the weight.
the clam 5600 is 92lbs dry, add all the gear and its easily pusing 150. great hut just alot of work dragging it since i fish solo alot

the pop ups are suprisingly quick to set up and take down(whats an extra 5 mins?) and the thermal is 43 lbs so wilth all my gear im about even to just the old hut.

if you are pulling it by hand i would definately check the weights of these units.

Offline codewordcs1

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Dec 02, 2010, 07:20 AM »
What's more important? Mobility or comfort. I've pulled a Snoboat around for a while and it's light and easy to get around but it's a pain in the wind and does take some time to get set up. I do a lot of moving around and hole hopping so an upgrade to a single man flip over is my next buy (hopefully today or tomorrow  ;D Clam Pro TC) I would say it all depends on your style of fishing. Good luck on your decision and hope the info you got here helps you make the right one. :)

Offline james

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Dec 02, 2010, 07:21 AM »

I'm six three, and have no problem standing up in my clam voyager.

Offline Mainedog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Dec 02, 2010, 07:37 AM »

Some of the Clams are tall enough also.

Offline Gordo

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Dec 02, 2010, 07:54 AM »

I believe the current model is the 350. I got my 300 on clearance at the Ice Fishing Show last year for $350 with a travel cover.

Offline graybeard1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Dec 02, 2010, 08:34 AM »
I started with a Shappell s300, then when that was shot, I went to a Hideout. I debated about a flip then, but didn't want to give up the headroom. Last year, after getting tired of fighting the wind with the Hideout, and having to put everything on top of the HO, then taking it off to set up, then moving it back inside, I bought a Trekker. It's been great, everything stays in the tub, and set-up is quick and easy. I can't stand up straight in it, but that hasn't been as big a deal as I thought it would, at least for me. One thing to keep in mind, as far as I know, the only flips you can stand up in are the bigger ones, which are heavy devils. If you are fishing by your self and pulling by hand as I do, that's probably not a good option.
   As far as heating, the Shappell was probably the warmest since it sealed up so tight. I always got by with a Coleman lantern for light and heat. The hideout wasn't quite so good, so I got a buddy heater. The Trekker, your feet are on the ice, but I bring a mat to put my feet on when it's real cold, and haven't had a problem. Still use the regular buddy and stay warm.

Offline openingact

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • A bad day fishing beats a good day working!
« Reply #22 on: Dec 02, 2010, 09:03 AM »
It really depends on the particular fisherman.... probably why they make so many different style, sizes, and accessories. :P

If you like to find a spot and sit for an extended amount of time a hub would be best, while if you are a hole jumper (as I am), you'll find a flip over better. Also the company that you fish with also can have an effect on this.

Offline fishfeind

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Dec 02, 2010, 06:23 PM »
Yeah like openingact said it can also depend on your company weahter you like them or not!
Getem caught

Offline icebucketjohn

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #24 on: Dec 04, 2010, 05:13 PM »
Yep.... Flip Over/Clam Styles for MOBILITY.  Pop-ups if you're more of a stationary icer.
Ice-Fisherman: We're all highly addicted, shivering, psychotic patients in the asylum of the frigid.

Offline $ignmoney

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • My wife and I had words, I did't get to use mine
« Reply #25 on: Dec 04, 2010, 10:02 PM »
My flip over is WAY faster. Got a 1 man flip over, nothing to do but drill clean holes, sit down grab the cover and pull it over my head. done. No buttons to push or poles to pull.   My clam 2000 is a bit more work to get her up and ready to fish, Its nice when I take a buddy or the kids want to go tho, lot more room.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.