The ice fishing Michigan board sponsored by:

Sponsor this board

Author Topic: CRYSTAL LAKE _ BEULAH  (Read 9108 times)

Offline Joe in T.C.

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
CRYSTAL LAKE _ BEULAH
« on: Jan 20, 2019, 05:07 PM »
Went by Crystal Lake today. Sunday 1/20/2019
Hurdmans bay was frozen, but the whole North end of the lake was open water in the middle of the lake.

Checked the ice at the public access by the Crystal Lake Marina. walked out and had about 2" of ice.
Worked my way out about 40' offshore and that drop to about a 1" of ice.

With the cold weather, it should be ready soon.
People who don't mind fishing skinny ice will probably be out there early this week, but I don't recommend it.

Hurdmans Bay _ Sunday 1-20-2019

Public Access by the Crystal Lake Marina

Good Luck All  :tipup:

Offline ftwwalleye

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: CRYSTAL LAKE _ BEULAH
« Reply #1 on: Jan 20, 2019, 06:33 PM »
Nice report. Gonna be up that way 28th to fish and staying in a hotel bu the lake. Was thinking about checking it out for a bit. Another 8 cold days should help
Beer is proof that god loves us-ben franklin

Offline jdgambler

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Jan 21, 2019, 07:49 AM »
thanks joe. I just ran out of trout in the freezer!
I'd rather be fishing than sleeping

Offline netminder34

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 21, 2019, 08:55 AM »
I am sure they will be fishing off the Beulah Beach by the weekend.  Hopefully the wind stays fairly calm and the rest of the lake can get locked up.  Looked at some pics yesterday from last year and we put 4 Lakers on 4-6 inches of ice off north shore on the 20th so we are a little behind, and I am itching to go, but only on good ice.

Offline jdgambler

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Jan 21, 2019, 01:55 PM »
I'm going to be up there wed. afternoon.

Offline dfishman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Jan 21, 2019, 02:17 PM »
I am sure they will be fishing off the Beulah Beach by the weekend.  Hopefully the wind stays fairly calm and the rest of the lake can get locked up.  Looked at some pics yesterday from last year and we put 4 Lakers on 4-6 inches of ice off north shore on the 20th so we are a little behind, and I am itching to go, but only on good ice.

Where do you access on the north side?  I always park off lobb road and fish the south side of crystal. 

Offline Joe in T.C.

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Jan 21, 2019, 06:07 PM »
Where do you access on the north side?  I always park off Lobb road and fish the south side of Crystal.

They have multiple public accesses around the lake:

On the Northwest is Esplanade Ct. and Marquette Ct.
On the Northeast is Nichols Rd. and Alden St.
On the west side is the boat launch off Mollineaux rd. and Bellows Park
Of course on the south end is the public beach.

These are just a few of public access available.
Most of them are posted with a "Public Access" sign, a few are not.
They are not listed on maps, they can be difficult to find, and are easy to drive by

Take a ride around the entire lake if you get the time.
It's a nice drive and you will be surprised at all the access points available to the public.

Good Luck all  :tipup:

Offline icefishingmississippi

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Jan 21, 2019, 06:43 PM »
I'm going off lobb rd 2 weeks

Offline dfishman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Jan 21, 2019, 09:34 PM »
They have multiple public accesses around the lake:

On the Northwest is Esplanade Ct. and Marquette Ct.
On the Northeast is Nichols Rd. and Alden St.
On the west side is the boat launch off Mollineaux rd. and Bellows Park
Of course on the south end is the public beach.

These are just a few of public access available.
Most of them are posted with a "Public Access" sign, a few are not.
They are not listed on maps, they can be difficult to find, and are easy to drive by

Take a ride around the entire lake if you get the time.
It's a nice drive and you will be surprised at all the access points available to the public.

Good Luck all  :tipup:

Joe, I have driven around the lake many times and have been fishing benzie county for over 15 years.  Your directions are a bit confusing.the public beach in beulah is at the far east end of the lake. The boat launch that I think you are talking about is on the eastern half of the south side of the lake.  I'm not trying to pick a fight, just trying to help people who might not know the area.  I haven't been able to find a decent place to park on the north side of crystal.

Offline netminder34

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Jan 22, 2019, 09:48 AM »
It can get a little confusing and not just on Crystal but there are a few public access points around the lake and I know it is not always right but I do know a few people access across private property since there are multiple summer cabins that get closed up for the winter.  I use public access points or spots where I have permission to cross.  So most of these were mentioned:  Oh and I forgot to mention I got a report this morning she locked up completely yesterday on the west end.

On the south shore:
Lobb Rd very popular access point with limited parking.
The new DNR launch.
Bellows (7th st Park)
The Boathouse
Crystal Ave

On the east shore
Beulah Beach

North Shore
Crystal Lake Marina
Nichols
Aldean
Heardsman Bay (North Shore/M-22 Split)

West shore
Marquette and Esplanade as TC Joe mentioned I think have access points but I have not used them.

Offline Joe in T.C.

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Jan 22, 2019, 04:18 PM »
Joe, I have driven around the lake many times and have been fishing benzie county for over 15 years.  Your directions are a bit confusing.the public beach in beulah is at the far east end of the lake. The boat launch that I think you are talking about is on the eastern half of the south side of the lake.  I'm not trying to pick a fight, just trying to help people who might not know the area.  I haven't been able to find a decent place to park on the north side of crystal.

Yep, won't be the first or last time I've been wrong. :)
I have been fishing Crystal lake since I was a little kid, so about 40 years now, and that's probably part of the problem.
I familiar with the area and know exactly where I'm going to fish, but don't always communicate directions to others as well as I would like.

Here are the farthest points.

Maybe I should have said Esplanade Ct. and Marquette Ct. are in the West corner of the lake.

The beach I think I could have correctly said is next to the South corner of the lake or on the Southeast side.
of course, the Market calls themselves East Shore Market, not The Southeast Shore Market :P

The boat launch off Mollineaux rd. and Bellows Park on the west side was off too, it would be the Southwest side at best.

Nichols Rd. and Alden St. off the Northeast side, well I kinda want to stay with that.

If lakes were square and not irregularly shaped and ran North to South instead of tilting off at an angle it would be easier.

It certainly can get confusing, but this post will clear that right up. :roflmao:

Honestly, I recommend everyone not familiar with the area to use a map since interpretations of what are sides, ends, shores and corners of a lake may vary from time to time.

Good Luck All  :tipup:

Offline pyro261

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Jan 28, 2019, 09:03 AM »
Any updates on the ice conditions out there?

Offline netminder34

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Jan 28, 2019, 11:23 AM »
I don't have much info but know someone that was over 130 fow off the south shore around Lobb and were on 4" Saturday.  It is getting hammered with snow today and wind today, hopefully the wind keeps the snow blown off.

Offline jdgambler

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Jan 28, 2019, 01:06 PM »
i'm going threw crystal lake withdrawls.

Offline netminder34

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Jan 28, 2019, 02:01 PM »
I had put a half dozen Lakers on the ice by this time last year.  At least the ice should hold up to the snow and wind this week.  We will see what happens after next weekend and then I will be planning a day or two up to fish.

Offline ftwwalleye

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Jan 28, 2019, 02:53 PM »
Brutal winds kept us off crystal yesterday with cold temps too. Didn't see many out there braving the winds when we drove by
Beer is proof that god loves us-ben franklin

Offline DaveSS1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Jan 28, 2019, 04:37 PM »
I don't have much info but know someone that was over 130 fow off the south shore around Lobb and were on 4" Saturday.  It is getting hammered with snow today and wind today, hopefully the wind keeps the snow blown off.
Not sure we are talking about the same guy.  But someone posted walking out to the deep grounds and ice was 4" in spots down to 1".  This video was posted 1/27/19.  He showed a video of his spud going through in one hit.  Be careful.  Ill be up there soon enough. 

Offline netminder34

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Jan 29, 2019, 06:57 AM »
Probably not the same guys they didn't mention finding 1" and were not over what most would call the deep grounds.  Calling for some warm temps at the end of the weekend and beginning next week, hopefully it doesn't last long.

Offline jdgambler

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #18 on: Jan 29, 2019, 09:10 AM »
looking at past pictures to ease my withdrawls. lol

Offline jdgambler

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #19 on: Jan 30, 2019, 08:26 AM »
Has anyone did well in the bay on east end right out in front of beaulah ? 20-30 FOW?

Offline dfishman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Jan 30, 2019, 04:30 PM »
Has anyone did well in the bay on east end right out in front of beaulah ? 20-30 FOW?
Perch and rainbows.

Offline dfishman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #21 on: Feb 11, 2019, 11:15 AM »
Anyone getting any smelt yet?

Offline netminder34

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Feb 11, 2019, 01:57 PM »
Lots of People, nothing good to report on smelt.  A few Burbot, a couple of trout, and dink perch were iced over the weekend from the reports I received.  I was thinking about heading out next weekend for my first trip but I might wait another week.

Offline dfishman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #23 on: Feb 11, 2019, 02:01 PM »
Thanks.  A buddy of mine was out yesterday and was after perch in 35 feet off lobb.  Nothing but little ones.  He left before the smelt bite usually starts.  I am headed up friday.

Offline jdgambler

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #24 on: Feb 11, 2019, 03:53 PM »
I'm going up to my place on the 16th-23 hoping to get some burbot and perch i'll post my pictures.

Offline jdgambler

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #25 on: Feb 11, 2019, 03:54 PM »
how much ice B T W?

Offline dfishman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #26 on: Feb 11, 2019, 05:03 PM »
I didn't ask.  He is more cautious than most and he would have mentioned if he was fishing on anything less than 6 inches. 

Offline netminder34

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #27 on: Feb 12, 2019, 08:29 AM »
10" in 60fow off Lobb and Boathouse was the report I got.  Heard there were a few quads out over deeper water over the weekend but my sources didn't venture out that far on foot.

Offline dfishman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #28 on: Feb 12, 2019, 11:52 AM »
Sounds good.  I will be there Friday

Offline jdgambler

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #29 on: Feb 13, 2019, 08:15 AM »
I can't wait. not lobb rd for me. have not had incredible luck there. Do you all ever try 18-20 FOW straight out from cold creek?

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.