Author Topic: Visiting Quebec and learning the rules....  (Read 4257 times)

Offline ovidgsd

• Team IceShanty Regular
Visiting Quebec and learning the rules....
« on: Nov 25, 2005, 08:37 PM »
Every trip I've taken to Quebec has been terrific - I've been to and fished on the Ottowa river, Lake Magog (for short ;) ), and to the Gaspe area - always I try my best with the very very little French I know a local people are so helpful with explaining where I can and can't fish, etc.

My problem is that I really want to explore the backcountry - for camping, hiking, canoeing and fishing - but my understanding is that there are many lakes and areas that are of limits to fishing / and / or camping.

I'm a do-it-yourselfer so I don't want to go with a guide or a camp.

So any suggestions on how I can get go info on areas that are open to fishing and camping and ones that are closed - and even more importantly - which lakes are pike lakes and which are trout lakes ;)

Also, how many ice fishing tipups are allowed in Quebec and is live bait allowed?

Most thanks and tight lines!!!  :tipup: :tipup: :tipup:
If that dog sets off one more flag............!

Offline joco

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Visiting Quebec and learning the rules....
« Reply #1 on: Nov 26, 2005, 11:30 AM »
HI OVIDQSD

for the tip up part,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,5 to 10 tip up,,,,depend the region,,,,

for the part you need info,,,,,,,,,,,,,i will get you some site,,,,to chek for,,,,,so come back to see it here in the next day or so,,,,

there some excelente place tofish hunt and canoe trip,,,,,,,,,

one off the best place would be the VERENDRY PARK,,,,,,,,,,,,,,very nice canoe trip,,,and great fishing,,, ;)

i will find info for you,,,,, ;)

take care and keep fishing,,,,

joco :)

Offline ovidgsd

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Nov 29, 2005, 07:54 PM »
Joco - that's great!  Thanks!

Now to plan my next trip.

Joco, is live bait allowed on tipups? thanks!  :tipup: :tipup: :tipup:
If that dog sets off one more flag............!

Offline joco

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Nov 30, 2005, 03:33 PM »

HI AGAIN...............on ly in the zone,,where you are on the ottawa river,,,,,,,,,that it,,,thats the only place you can fish wit live minnows,,,,,i will post on that subject,,,,,,,and some foolow up site for you on the subject,again,,,, ::)

joco :)

Offline icebigboy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Dec 06, 2005, 08:20 AM »
hi ovidgsd,
               good your interested in Quebec's outdoor!!!
    first of all the rules here in Quebec are very complicated.there are 24 zone and each has is own rule so here a site that is very complete.
 http://www.mrn.gouv.qc.ca/english/home.jsp (ftp://http://www.mrn.gouv.qc.ca/english/home.jsp)
just a little suggestion,if you want to make a special trip here in Quebec go to fiord of saguenay in winter.it really worth it.i try to find some site on that for you.
bye ;D

Offline icejunky

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • TEAM ONTARIO
« Reply #5 on: Dec 06, 2005, 01:41 PM »
Quebec is  very beautiful, I spent a few weeks in Northern Quebec this summer....Alma and Chicoutimi. I would live there in a second...I dont speak french, could be an issue.

We drove thru some incredible parks on the way back to Quebec City from Alma and my friend/tour guide was telling me that most of that land is government owned and you have to pay to fish in each area? We must have passed a lake every few minutes..trout haven and virtually untapped, nobody around and knowone fishing.  here are some pics from the car trip

Offline sturgeon

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Dec 06, 2005, 02:03 PM »
hi ovidgsd

I just moved to Quebec and fish on Memphrémagog quite a bit. The regulations are very different. I am originally from ONtario and I must say that in Quebec there is a lot less free space to fish than in ONtario. In Ontario there is a lot of lakes that have crown land access, here a lot of the land around the lakes get bought and then it becomes private unless there is access via a waterway. A lot of the places are controled by ZEC's oufitters that own the land. Controlled zones. And you have to pay a fee to use the land. I am sure there are some but you need to go north and you need to find out which areas are controlled or not.

Good Luck

Sturgeon
Bad Day of Fishing is better than a good day of work!!!!

Offline Manny

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Dec 12, 2005, 10:40 AM »
I think that it's worth mentioning that most of the private areas in QC is due to the promotion of brookies. 

Most regions that are exploited either by ZEC's, SÉPAC's, Réserve Faunique's (these lands make up the bulk of the private lands)etc etc are lands controlled by the goverment and are stocked full of brookies.  They are pay-to-fish because stocking costs $$$ and the preservation of restored native population needs regulation.

Then you have the private outfitters that have exclusive rights on their bodies of water (whether they exploit walleyes or trout).   

Then, you have private clubs that stock and regulate X amount of lakes.  Usually done so in a joint-effort with different municipalities.

Then you have landowners that buy all the land around the lake and close it off to the public.  These land-owners either want peace and quiet or they want the fish.  There are a few apparently awesome musky lakes that are closed to public by land-owners and membership is given by a commitee.

If someone was to want to fish for brookies for free, I would say try and find creeks.  Plenty around.  For free land, go up north but with gas-prices, it would almost be better to go to Papineau-Labelle.  1 hour from Ottawa or Mtl, tons of lake that haven't seen a lure in years.

I have to finish by saying though that tremendous smallmouth fishing is available anywhere in QC for free (OK, maybe not up north), overlooked and most of the time, considered as pests.

Manny

The minute you stop learning is the minute you are 6FT under.

Offline sturgeon

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Dec 12, 2005, 10:58 AM »
Thanks for the info Manny

From the sounds of it you have been fishing in quebec for a while. Always look forward to reading  messages regarding this province.

Take care

Sturgeon
Bad Day of Fishing is better than a good day of work!!!!

Offline Manny

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Dec 13, 2005, 12:53 AM »
Have only been living in QC for 6 years but I always thought that the difference between ON and QC facinating.  The trend here is really trout and walleyes where as the trend in On is bass and walleyes.  The difference shows in management pratices where bass is mostly catch and release and needs very little managing whereas trout is pretty much catch and keep and costs more $$$, which tends to explain much of the private lands.

Another thing that would be good to mention.  Pay-to-fish might seem horrible at first but isn't that bad if you consider total money spent for an outing.  Bass is a gold-mine for the industry because you need 5 baitcasters with matching rod, 3 spinning combos, boxes of jigs, spinnerbaits, crankbaits, topwaters, plastics then more plastics..........  For trout, you need and handful of spoons, some hooks, maybe a few spinners to cast to fallen trees, a few small crankbaits if you feel perky and a rod and reel.  Can't consider worms, they are free.

Sorry for my ramblings but I had this discussion often with alot of poeple and it's always interesting, to me anyways ::) ::)

Manny
The minute you stop learning is the minute you are 6FT under.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.