Author Topic: Marcum LX5 motor  (Read 1488 times)

Offline evesdropper

• IceShanty Rookie
Marcum LX5 motor
« on: Feb 21, 2021, 04:31 PM »
Long time lurker but I created an account to return the favor for all the info I have received from this site. This is not to cast any "hate" on Marcum. I love my flasher. Just providing info. I could not find a photo of one of these opened up.

I bought the service to get my noisy motor and transducer fixed on my Marcum LX5 so I figured I would open up the back and see what is in there before it goes off to MN. The problematic part is a T&L branded EG-530AD-2F 12V 2400RPM CW motor. Looks like they are commonly used as CD/DVD spindles or in tape decks. They sell for pretty cheap on components sites or your favorite auction site.

I do not have an M5 to check but I would be curious to see what the brushless motor is. If mine is replaced with one, I will update this post.

Offline cccc

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Marcum LX5 motor
« Reply #1 on: Feb 21, 2021, 08:23 PM »
Very interested to hear more about this. I have a moving motor right now that I am looking to switch out.

Offline bigfoot86

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Feb 21, 2021, 08:44 PM »
I'd be very curious to see what yours is replaced with.  I have a lx5i too that had to have the motor replaced in it a couple years ago.  They said they replaced it with the new m5 brushless motor.

Offline hnd

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Feb 22, 2021, 03:10 PM »
very interesting.  my lx5 is from 2012 and keeps on a ticking but will keep this in mind when the time comes. 

Offline evesdropper

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Feb 22, 2021, 06:21 PM »
The only thing that kept me from just soldering in a new motor is the mysterious "timing" procedure.

Offline RyanW

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Feb 22, 2021, 11:03 PM »
The only thing that kept me from just soldering in a new motor is the mysterious "timing" procedure.

As long as it’s the same RPM I don’t see how timing would be off. I mean, the “mysterious” part is more than likely how much they can charge you for it.
“When the fish are biting, it really doesn’t matter what you’re using. When the fish aren’t biting, it really doesn’t matter what you’re using” - Uncle Dave

Offline desmobob

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I can't feel my toes...
« Reply #6 on: Feb 23, 2021, 05:24 AM »
Thanks very much for sharing that potentially valuable money- or time-saving information!

I have a five-year old Marcum VX-1P and I always wonder how long the motor will last.  I bought a new Garmin Striker Plus 5cv this winter as a back-up, but I love the Marcum and plan to keep it running as long as it's practical.

Anyone know the expected life of a Marcum brushed flasher motor?

Offline SLAYERFISH

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #7 on: Feb 23, 2021, 09:28 AM »
My LX-5 is a 2010 model and still running fine.
Love Me or Hate Me-
All Metal all the Time!

Offline desmobob

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I can't feel my toes...
« Reply #8 on: Feb 23, 2021, 09:44 AM »
My LX-5 is a 2010 model and still running fine.

@)

That's good news. 

Offline evesdropper

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Feb 23, 2021, 01:35 PM »
I have no idea how old mine is. I sold my used VX-1 and bought this used 4 years ago. The circuit board inside says "Marcum Technologies 2005, PCB P/N LX1-5 Rev B". For all I know, they used the same PCB for the whole run.

I took lots of photos so I should be able to tell if they upgrade parts or boards. It went in the mail yesterday.

Offline Flint

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Feb 24, 2021, 03:59 PM »
I bought my LX5 used about 6-7 years ago and it’s still smooth and quite as a mouse. Sure hope it keeps going 🤞🏻 I’ve owned and used several different units and the LX5 is hard to beat.

Offline evesdropper

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Mar 06, 2021, 07:24 PM »
Reporting back.

Marcum replaced my transducer and did something they call "Calibrated motor speed to correct display". They did not replace the motor. It isn't making the "bad brushes" sound now but its 60F here now, not -27F. The display looks a lot clearer now also.

So worst case, I got a cleaning, motor calibration (whatever that is) and a replacement transducer for less than the transducer alone cost.

Turn-around time was pretty good. Checked in on Feb 25th, fixed and mailed out on March 3rd.

The repair sheet states the repair is warrantied for 1yr parts and labor.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.