Author Topic: How much is too much?  (Read 4535 times)

Offline Longwooddrive

• IceShanty Rookie
  • From the gridiron to the ice
How much is too much?
« on: Mar 03, 2007, 09:39 AM »
Got out for whities for the first time this year!  Set up in 21 feet of water.  Never printed a fish the whole morning.  Was wondering if I was in too shallow?  I thought I read somewhere that whitefish move up shallow in late winter?  Anybody know?
I chummed the area pretty hard(I think)  My question is...How much do you guys chum your first time out and how long does it usually take for the whities to find your stash?

How much chum is too much chum?  I threw down 2 cups of cooked rice and maybe 1/4 to half bag 700g of quaker oats.(over a few hours of course).  Too much? too little? 

P.S.  Caught two of the smallest burbot I've ever caught in my life.  5 incher and 6 incher!
"Knowledge is power, Power is knowledge!"

Offline Neptune

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • "The Kokanee Killers"
Re: How much is too much?
« Reply #1 on: Mar 03, 2007, 06:48 PM »
Whiteys move into the rocky to sandy shallows in the late fall and move back into deeper water generally after the first of the year.  You can fish them in shallow water(under 25 feet) from around the Beginning of October until the first or second week in January.  They will also move into rivers to spawn at the same time.  What determines if they stay in a lake to spawn or move up stream...you've got me...

I have never chummed Whiteys.  The cooked rice sounds odd, there is no sent, but if it works I'll give it a try.  I've heard of people chopping up night crawlers and putting them in a can with holes in it on the bottom to attract them....

Good Fishing :tipup:

Offline Longwooddrive

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Mar 03, 2007, 07:00 PM »
I think the rice is more of an attractant then anything, but I have found rice inside the bellies of a few whities.  Maybe the rice looks like maggots or tiny eggs to them?  The oats seem to work like gold, The majority I've cleaned have been chalk full of them. 

Offline Whitefish Slayer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Mar 05, 2007, 08:50 PM »
my frist trip we dumped down about 3 gallon of rice and barley and left it alone for a week, now all we do is sprinkle rice and oatmeal down while fishing to keep them around works good for us. Been catching them everyday out my buddies shack.

Those 5 6 inch "BURBOT" were likely Tommy Cod i haven't caught one yet but i'm guessing that's what they were, they look similar to burbot but they are not burbot!!
http://http://pages.infinit.net/junosim/english/e_poissons.htm[url]

Offline Longwooddrive

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Mar 05, 2007, 10:11 PM »
Wow, 3 gallons is quite a bit.  Do you cook the barley or leave as is? 

Yea you're right about the Tommy cods.  I thought it looked abit different but I just took a quick look at the top/bottom anal fin and assumed it was a burbot.  To tell you the truth, I didn't know we had those in our lakes.  Thanks for the clarification.

Is the "special olympics" hut you're buddies!! ha ha

Good luck on the ice this week.
Might make it out tomorrow if not Friday

Calling for rain this weekend.....keep your fingers crossed that that doesn't occur!

Offline Whitefish Slayer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Mar 06, 2007, 09:53 AM »
yea it is alot but hey man were catching lots of whities in the shack!!!!!!

not my buddy but i do know who owns it!!! he's a moron if u ask me they got like 30 burbot not even cleaned on the ice over there b/c they too lazy to put them back down the hole!!

i was out 2 yrs ago in the rain and had some kind of fishing!!

Offline Longwooddrive

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Mar 06, 2007, 06:06 PM »
Yea I agree, that's uncalled for......all those wasted fish.  Those Guys need to grow up!
Decided not to venture out in those bone chilling temps. today.  -35 celcius with that wind.  I'll wait til it warms up.

Offline Whitefish Slayer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Mar 07, 2007, 09:10 AM »
ya man it was crazy cold!!!
where abouts are u fishing out there???

Offline Whitefish Slayer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Mar 07, 2007, 10:09 AM »
Got out for whities for the first time this year!  Set up in 21 feet of water.  

i know were in 33 FOT where we are
one guy is only in 15 feet of water out there he's on a huge hump i brought the camera over and u could see the gradual decline on it!

Offline Longwooddrive

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Mar 07, 2007, 03:52 PM »
If I can locate my spot again, it's on the far right of all the other shacks.(need a gps) I like to set up away from the crowds.  Almost directly out from that little point that extends from shore.  Yea I thought we were fishing a great big flat.  Didn't know it varied that much.  I talked to a couple of lads just a stones throw away(Green shack) and they were in 27 feet of water.  They hadn't caught any whities yet this year.  I had good success in 20 feet of water late in the year last year so thought I would try it again.  You must be on the outskirts of all the huts closest to cox's point?  What color is your hut, or do you bring the clam out?

After the snow, can you still get out in your truck?

Later

Offline Whitefish Slayer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Mar 07, 2007, 09:08 PM »
black shack closest to the island is ours!!
going tomo morning 6 am
OH YEAH MAN IT'S GREAT GOING!!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.