Miscellaneous > Ice Fishing FAQ

Ice Fishing 101.2 -Perch Search

(1/11) > >>

Iceshanty:
While most of us wait for ice, I thought we could do some virtual ice fishing. :'(
Someone did something like this last year, I thought it was pretty kewl. I couldn't find the post,  and really can't remember for sure how it worked but here is my attempt.
Ice Fishing 101.2 Perch Search

This is a real lake that Big Pete and I have spent a lot of time on. Large schools of 9-12" perch are prolific in the lake but thats not what were after. If you work hard, you can run into schools of 14"+ JUmbo perch that you can hardly pull off the bottom. It's a somewhat weird lake, the perch are college educated, the super clear water makes them jumpy, 90% of the time they can be found within a certain depth 2-3 feet either way.
The names and locations have been change to protect the innocent.
Your Mission:

Describe what you would do to find and catch the elusive jumbo perch that roam Lake Perchusgiganticus.
I am looking for: Depths, locations, baits,  technique and equipment.
One entry allowed.

After 48 hours<---(changed to monday 8:00 am morning)  from the posting time above, the top 3 replies that Big Pete and I deem to be the best approach to finding and catching these elusive jumbo perch will win.[/font]

Lake Perchusgiganticus:
Acres: 230
Max Depth: 38
Species: Musky, Northern Pike, Walleye, Large Mouth Bass, Perch, Bluegill, Crappie
Bottom Makeup: Sand=Sd., Rubble=R, Boulders=B, Submergent Vegetation=T
Perch Primary Forage: Freshwater Shrimp
Water Clarity: Very Clear, Can see bottom at 20+ feet
click for larger map

The Prize:

1st: 3 jigs from my grab of assorted jigs, Team IceShanty Bumper Sticker, Member status raised to the next level.
2nd: A jig from my grab bag, Team IceShanty Bumper Sticker
3rd: 25 posts added to post count.

Good Luck and please put the JUMBOS back for me! ;)

-Scott

eyedoktr:
Hopefully this won't count as my guess. You are,I assume, referring to catching through the ice. Not open water? Thanks.

dogfish:
Ok
I'll bite
I will start fishing in the narrows, center of lake.  I see a couple of humps there one at about 10' the other at about 15.  These humps seem to be surounded by 20 to 25 feet of h2o.  
Equip-Tip-ups However many are leagle on the lake? 3foot 4lbtest florocarbon leaders W/single short shank #6hooks
       -Good guality flasher unit
       -jig poles (once again leagle #)Assorted line (florocarbon) sizes from 4lb to 1lb
       - 12pk dark beer

I would set up a spread of tipups across all the depts of the narrows.  6" to 1' off the bottom.  I do not belive that these perch get to be 14" pluse by eating FWshrimp alone, these are also piscivor(fish eaters).   So I would have indigenous bait fish on the hooks.

I would then drill a series of holes from the middle of my set up headed South East (heading for those other humps along the "culvert"(hard to read) area of the lake.
Jig pole #1- 4lb test line with a 1/4 oz Hogger spoon in brass and glow with a minnow head on it.  #2- 2lb test line with a small glow dot and a spike of mousie on it.  I would jig from the bottom up using my flasher to adjust my depth to the fish.  I would continue to try different color combinations and sizes (looking for what the fish want.  
If I get a hot hole with the tipups I will jig that and look for other areas with that depth.  If I do not find the fish here.  I will slowly start to move my setup to the south east onto the shallower humps.  If that dosent work I will swing to the north trying deeper and deeper depths untill the fish are found.

Trevor:
Scott,

One Question.  Are we fishing early, mid, or late season?

Thanks
Trevor

Iceshanty:
Ice! now go stand in the corner. ;D

--- Quote from: eyedoktr on Nov 20, 2003, 08:01 AM ---Hopefully this won't count as my guess. You are,I assume, referring to catching through the ice. Not open water? Thanks.

--- End quote ---

From the time it caps with ice, until you can't walk on it, the pattern basically stays the same.

--- Quote from: Trevor on Nov 20, 2003, 08:32 AM ---Scott,

One Question.  Are we fishing early, mid, or late season?

Thanks
Trevor

--- End quote ---

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version