Author Topic: Wheel house ceiling - thinking corrugated metal? I am crazy?  (Read 2611 times)

Offline Roadking92

• IceShanty Rookie
Hi all,
I have gutted my King Crow and am getting close to paneling the inside. I have used 1.5 foam sheets to give it a bit more insulating factor than the fiber that was in it. For the ceiling, I am debating using galvanized corrugated metal for a different look. I have the pink foam sheets between the studs and was thinking I would use some additional fiberglass to put up and pin to the stud and fill the voids in the corrugate of the metal panels. Would get a little more insulation high and not be any heavier than paneling alone.
https://www.menards.com/main/paint/paneling-planking/paneling/corrugated-galvanized-steel-panel/1558102/p-1521613908158-c-8168.htm

Thoughts on if this? Any have metal ceilings, any issues?

Thanks.

Offline cwavs1982

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Wheel house ceiling - thinking corrugated metal? I am crazy?
« Reply #1 on: Nov 01, 2022, 08:18 AM »
May be difficult to cut in a light for the ceiling with this style.  You may want to consider a fiberglass reinforced panel (FRP). 
I do hunt, and I do fish, and I don't apologize to anybody for hunting and fishing - Norman Schwarzkopf

Offline Roadking92

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Nov 01, 2022, 08:45 AM »
Thanks cwavs - I am using flush mount lights so that is less of a concern - just need a small hold for wire and should be able to use small self tapping screws to mount. https://m.media-amazon.com/images/I/71irCtQVZML.jpg

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Inventor of Minnow Magic American Patriot
« Reply #3 on: Nov 01, 2022, 08:45 AM »
There's a condensation magnet..........
“The mass of men live lives of quiet desperation”  Thoreau

Offline Roadking92

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Nov 01, 2022, 08:56 AM »
Yeah, that is my concern as well.
Not sure it’s worth it, but my 1 little data point is that there were 2 sheet of copper that the previous owner put on the ceiling (“patching” the paneling) due to a roof leak he had, and I never saw a drop of condensation on those. I expected I would, but it didn’t happen.
There is likely a good reason you don’t see this too, i get it.

Offline Ronnie D

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Nov 01, 2022, 08:59 PM »
Think if you used 26 ga. galvanized & spray coated w/ flex all or similar sealer it would 't sweat & black it out also?

Offline Roadking92

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Nov 05, 2022, 08:33 AM »
Interesting thought Ronnie. Hmm… now back to thinking about it!

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
  • The secret to fishing...fish where the fish are.
« Reply #7 on: Nov 05, 2022, 08:55 AM »
Several places have corrugated panels in fiberglass and polycarbonate. Prices around the same as galvanized. Probably a bit lighter than the metal, certainly won't rust and paintable. Just another option.
"Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam circumspice."

Offline Arctic Addict

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Flagggg!!!!!
« Reply #8 on: Nov 06, 2022, 07:55 PM »
I'd go with RFP.  I have it in my wheelhouse and it works well.  The material is easy to work with and won't  dent or scratch.
"Hope" is not a good fishing strategy!

Offline bboT

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Jan 07, 2023, 07:58 AM »
That particular corrugated metal is about the thickness of three sheets of paper.  Dents easily.  If you have a vented heater though, condensation I don't think will be an issue.  It may condensate at first I'm sure but once it's warm inside it will dry out quickly, especially being thin.  Still building mine, an ongoing story  >:(  I plan to use white steel siding for the ceiling, just the cheap thinner stuff.  I can hang things from it using ring magnets is my hopes.  Will get scratched that way but it is an easily painted surface it starts to bug me enough.  I like the idea of FRP though, smooth sided so it cleans easily.  FRP can crack when you're cutting it so have the right tools and be patient when installing.

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #10 on: Jan 07, 2023, 08:43 AM »
Putting a metal ceiling in an ice house…..lmao….common sense should easily tell you that’s a no no.

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #11 on: Jan 07, 2023, 12:27 PM »
The whole interior of my wheel house was done with FRP paneling. Water resistant, easy to clean, and easy to install. After fourteen years it was still as nice as the day it was installed. My heater was a direct vent type, so condensation wasn't a problem even when cooking.
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.