Miscellaneous > Ice Fishing FAQ

Ice fishing safety precautions?

(1/2) > >>

TwoNewToIce:
    Again, This is all from the books, as well as, common sense...so, I'm asking for "practical experience and advice".

My daughter wears a PFD with a WHISTLE attached, carries a pair of ICE PICKS, and has verbally gone through the 'scenario' repeatedly...
    She's been "told" of the shock to expect from cold water immersion, knows to "turn" to face the direction she had walked from, has practiced "gripping and seperating" her ice picks, and understands how to use them...
    We sit on floatation cushions on our buckets, carry a rope in our sled, and a blanket in our car...
    We've let the bigger guys "test" the ice for us, and left the ice before them...

NEVER FISH ALONE ON THE ICE...!

She also knows that if anyone 'goes in', or anything 'abnormal' happens, she is to drop her gear, grab her cushion, and get on shore...

What else might help a beginner...?

TwoNewToIce:
    Here's another one from the books, but since it didn't apply to my daughter (or myself), I neglected to include it, tho, someone may need to hear this...

Avoid Alcohol...for two reasons...

1)   One may believe that a "nip" will warm them up, however, as the blood vessels dialate and blood flow increases, more "core" body heat will be carried away and lost through the "extremeties".

2)   More Importantly, one may be inclined to make a less "rational" decision, in an emergency situation, and potentially put their own, or someone else's life in danger...

Just a thought...

HIMO:
words of wisdom worth a million dollars. thanks

Cold as Ice:
No alcohol?  Awwww man! That just takes all of the fun right out of it ;D..............Just kidding

acsacmboy:
amen to that Ralph and Mary.....

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version