Ice Fishing Tips -Check your local regulations! > Jigging

Cleaning tiny Tungsten eyes?

<< < (9/9)

Iceassin:
I guess I'm of the minority. Painted eyes don't bother me much. I carry a push pin and nail clippers (lightly clamp around base of the eye and give it a spin or 2... usually peels right off)) in my jig box to clear the holes if needed. No biggie.

esox_xtm:
X2 on the nail clippers. I've always got one around somewhere. Took me about one time cleaning eyes on the ice (decades ago). After that, any new purchases saw the workbench where I could have a sip of tequila, a puff of cigar and remediate the issue in perfect comfort.

These days my purchases seldom have the eyes painted shut and if they are, the above still applies.

I've poured lead for decades (some folks say that's had a noticeable effect  ::)) and painted. First it was that vinyl liquid stuff but now it's fluid beds and powder. Always made sure the eyes were clear before they went anywhere. Just part of the process.

DR.SPECKLER:
Yup my dad taught me how to melt and pour lead when i was 14.we would have a community melt and pour every Saturday.everybody would get together and the adults would pour and us kids would cut flues and sort by size.i still have some sinkers we made way back then.still have all the gear ,plus added a ton of different molds.i make my own jigs too and clearing the eyes  before oven curing is a must when using powder paint.its almost impossible to break the paint out of the eye after curing but its brittle and easy to remove before the oven cure.

maddogg:
I cut out little tin foil squares and fold them over the eyes dip in powder and pull off tin foil with a small needle nose.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version