Ice Fishing Tips -Check your local regulations! > Ice Shack Tips

portables

<< < (5/5)

Big_Mean:
KENELZ, WENT TO THAT WONDERFULL PLACE IN DUNDEE, I SAT IN A LOT OF SHANTYS. GOT IT DOWN TO THE ESKIMO-3 AND THE FT-VOYAGER. THE MAN WORKING THERE SAID THEY HAD 14 OF EACH IN STOCK , AND MORE COMING ON FOLLOWING TUES. THE WIFE SAYS TO ME, WHY DONT YOU SLEEP ON IT! I FIGURED SHE WANTED TO GO BACK THAT WEEK AND GET IT. WELL SHE NEVER WENT BACK,BUT SHE TELLS ME TO GO BACK NEXT WEEKEND GET THE ONE I WANT AND SHE WOULD BUY. SO I RACE TO DUNDEE GET IN SIDE AND BOTH ARE GONE ,EVEN FLOOR MODELS ARE GONE . MAN WAS I BUMED. THEY SAID I COULD ORDER THROUGH CATOLOG.AT THE SAME TIME THE WIFE CALLS GANDER MOUNTIAN IN TOLEDO , THEY HAVE 4 VOYAGERS IN STOCK.SO I ENDED UP WITH THE ONE I WANTED, SHE EVEN GOT ME THE COVER TOO. IHAVE A BROTHER THAT LIVES IN CADILLAC,MICH SAYS GOOD ICE THERE.LAKE MITCHELL GOING THISMONTY 19TH-22 THANKS AGAIN AND GOOD LUCK THIS SEASON BIG-MEAN

kenelz:
Big Mean, Great! Glad you got the one you want. I can understand why Cabelas is having trouble stocking them, up here in Northern Lower, the ice has been great, because there hasnt been any snow. Good black ice everywhere. I have fished seven differnt lakes this year, all with good ice, its so smooth, ice skaters are out. I was on Houghton lake this morning, several pickup trucks on the ice, and two airplanes landed on the ice, one in front of the Limberlost (a bar restruaunt on the lake) he must have been real thrirsty!
I fished Mitchell a couple weeks ago, it had 6 to 8 inches of ice then, about 3/4 mile out the "little cove", got lots of pike, mostly hammer handles. I did have my two keepers, and had a great time. The local fishermen on the ice said the walleyes are way down. Good luck when you fish it.

twodoggs:
;D  Well I can tell you that i have fished in the fish trap the clam and my cousin has a 6by 8 suite case style.  I did a lot of looking and pricing and I bought the otter II lodge.  you can sit in the tub, Fits two big guys just fine.  (I am 6'2" 240and my cousin is 6'1" 260) it pulls very easy on ice.  Better than the suite cases.  has large tub for all of your gear with high sides.  The old fish traps used to have high sides on thier tubs I think they shot themselves in the foot when they cut them down.  As far as being expensive I found the otter to be competitive with the same size in other models.  and it will handle the snow and was designed to be pulled by man or atv (with a bar kit, that you could make yourself)  I really like it and they are made about 17 miles from my house.  If you get one I have a few suggestion on how to put it together if you like and buy a extra adjustable pole for the door side.  Holds down better with 2.  The otter must be pretty good since i see fish traps and others for resale in classified adds but was unable to find the otter in a three month search.

Well good luck with your purchase.

fishfinder1:
I have a Frabill Cub Shak. Easy to set up and tear down. About 2 minutes to set up and tear down. It does pull kinda hard if there is snow on the ice. Has a tendancy to plow thru the snow. My buddy has a Clam Fish Trap Guide. Real nice shanty. easy to set up and tear down. It has ample storage for Gas auger and gear when moving around.Can be moved around real easy. Only draw back is it has no floor. Feet is right on the ice. My next shanty will probly be a Clam Fish Trap Guide.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version