Ice Fishing Tips -Check your local regulations! > Jigging

Baitcaster ice rod ?

<< < (2/5) > >>

Tuma:
Most of the ice rods that are made with a bait caster reel seat will be a heaver rod from what I have seen. 
How bad is the ice up on a bait caster reel?  I am thinking of building myself a rod for sturgeon but not sure if I want a spinning reel or bait caster reel.

Deal Ninja:
Steal @ $22  Fenwick Elite-Tech 30" Medium Casting Ice Rod.  MSRP  $39.95  It wouldn't cost you much if you just wanted to try one out!

https://www.amazon.com/Fenwicks-ETICE30M-C-Elite-Tech-Casting/dp/B011LVAJWK

DN

slipperybob:

--- Quote from: Tuma on Dec 06, 2018, 12:25 PM ---Most of the ice rods that are made with a bait caster reel seat will be a heaver rod from what I have seen. 
How bad is the ice up on a bait caster reel?  I am thinking of building myself a rod for sturgeon but not sure if I want a spinning reel or bait caster reel.

--- End quote ---

If you pinch or feather the line before it hits the levelwind line guide, there will be no icing.  I palm my reel anyways and I got use to doing it.  In fact while hole hopping I always pinch my line before the tip to prevent icing up even on my spinning reel set ups, and I do it methodically with bait casting set ups.

The industry is just not willing to move over to a lighter set up on baitcasting rods.

The Fenwick Elite Tech 30" medium is about the lightest bait casting rod on retail shelves for ice fishing.

Diawa Triforce Shorty Casting rod can be used for ice fishing, but again comes in a medium power.  It's three feet long.  Probably feels more like a heavy power rod.

Abu Garcia Volatile Ice casting rod 29" medium, 31" medium heavy.

eyeflyer:
I have got a couple HT (ice blue) and they come in lighter baitcast rods for around the 20-25 dollar mark.

IcePirateJace:
https://www.marinegeneral.com/product/clam-jason-mitchell-mackinaw-34-h-baitcasting-rod-8482/

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version