Ice Fishing Tips -Check your local regulations! > Jigging

Baitcaster ice rod ?

<< < (4/4)

Winds-of-Thor:
Hole hopping, shallow backwaters. I have a custom rod builder building a 48" power noodle with spiral wrapped guides. Should be a fun and versatile stick.

Iceassin:

--- Quote from: slipperybob on Dec 16, 2021, 03:59 AM ---I'm just wondering why go so long?  Especially with Ultralight power, the vibration feel factor diminishes greatly after about 36" and it goes more so into the visual detection.

--- End quote ---

Lot of guys love those long rods and do well with them using sensitive wire indicators. Most do it standing up and hole hopping. Me? Not so much. I can't be on my feet that long.

Hardwater2:

--- Quote from: FraBilKil on Dec 15, 2021, 01:18 PM ---Sorry this is 3 1/2 years after your initial post. I got two of these Jason Mitchell Elite Series Walleye 28JMC Medium rods for Christmas several years ago. I shared one with my son. Notice in the pic how the guides index around the rod so the eyelet faces down. It has a soft sensitive tip with some backbone. Hope the image attaches.

--- End quote ---

Love this rod! Custom set up

Winds-of-Thor:

--- Quote from: Hardwater2 on Dec 16, 2021, 06:52 PM ---Love this rod! Custom set up

--- End quote ---

The one I'm having built will look similar, but 48" long and geared for big crappie and perch. It will be able to handle larger fish, but I'm only interested in panfish. I dropped the reel, a Daiwa Alphas Airstream Custom, off with the rod builder today so he can get the balance right. There are a few deeper places beyond the reach of my normal long rods, so this will be a nice tool in the toolbox. Now we just need some good ice!

slipperybob:

--- Quote from: Iceassin on Dec 16, 2021, 05:13 PM ---Lot of guys love those long rods and do well with them using sensitive wire indicators. Most do it standing up and hole hopping. Me? Not so much. I can't be on my feet that long.

--- End quote ---

--- Quote from: Winds-of-Thor on Dec 16, 2021, 03:47 PM ---Hole hopping, shallow backwaters. I have a custom rod builder building a 48" power noodle with spiral wrapped guides. Should be a fun and versatile stick.

--- End quote ---

Nice.  The only thing I find more difficult is when leaning down the the hole with a longer rod to get to the handle the fish.  It's one thing to easily flip the fish on the ice, but the big ones, you can't always or else a line break.

I occassionally do use my 4' baitcasting rod when I'm like lazy on the lounge chair just so lazy fishing on my back.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version