Ice Fishing Tips -Check your local regulations! > Ice Shack Tips

7x8 shanty build

<< < (3/13) > >>

jpohlic:

--- Quote from: DBerkshire on Nov 29, 2017, 04:10 PM ---Thank you for sharing! I am always so curious how much people are able to create their concepts/ideas from. It's also interesting to see that a rendering from the 50's estimated a similar project and 5 hours build time and $25. LOL.

--- End quote ---

If I was to build it again 5 hours is probably accurate for framing it. $25... I wish!

jpohlic:
Got a bit more done today.

Installed the solar panel, wiring, and lights. Just need to install the battery and the elec system is done.

Then I built a fold down bed. It's 54" wide and 87" long, made of 3/4" plywood with a cleat along each seat and a removable center support.

Then I added some eyebolts in 2 opposite corners for hanging a hammock for an afternoon nap when I don't feel like folding down the bed.

And I topped off the roof peak with some blueskin to keep the water out until I install some metal roofing... maybe next year.

I'm waiting for my catch covers to be delivered so I can drill the holes, and then I also need to install the wood stove. I would have done that today but I bought 6" pipe while my old stove uses 5". Doh.

Also I have some 3/4" plywood left over so I'm going to build a fold down table that attaches to the underside of the bed. Then maybe a shelf or two inside and out and I think it will be done! It's taken a lot more time than I anticipated, especially installing the rigid insulation. Looking forward to getting it on the ice!!!

naterdame:
Looks good, maybe I missed it on above discussions, but how do you get in into the ice and then back onto the truck/trailer?

metalbender:
How much does it weigh?  Looks good. As some else asked, load and unload?

jpohlic:
Going by the specs from the home depot website, the weight of just the shanty wood/insulation is probably around 475-500 lbs. I'm not sure how accurate those specs are, I think it might be lighter than that. I can slide it easily on the shop floor and by pushing on the top of the door frame I can lift that end. At the back I ran a wire rope through the skids to pull it and also to use for lifting to put blocks underneath.

I also added a 3/4" plywood bed that adds about 25 pounds, wood stove is about 70 pounds, deep cycle battery is 66 pounds, plus I'm going to add a 3/4" plywood table that's about 10 pounds - so a total of around 650 pounds.

I have a tilt deck trailer that will be easy to load with a hand winch and will probably just anchor the shanty down and pull the trailer ahead to unload.

If I need to load it on my truck I'd use some ramps and winch it up/down. I'm not sure if I'll ever have to put it on the truck but I wanted it to fit just in case.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version