The ice fishing PA boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Requesting Up-to-Date Info on Hills Creek  (Read 1302 times)

Offline Thor

• Team IceShanty Regular
Requesting Up-to-Date Info on Hills Creek
« on: Feb 09, 2006, 01:38 PM »
A few months ago, I rented a cabin at Hills Creek State Park for the upcoming Presidents' Day weekend (2/18 - 2/20).  I am taking my six year old son on a father/son ice fishing adventure. :)

I would appreciate any information that anyone has regarding the ice conditions.  Tips about where and how to fish are welcome as well, but the safety of my boy is what I am most concerned with.  I have never been to Hills Creek, so I don't know anything about the lake.

Is the ice relatively safe (I know theoretically there is no such thing as "safe" ice)?  How are the edges?  Are there any feeder streams or springs to be aware of that can cause thin ice in spots?  Anything else I need to be aware of?

I am hoping that the next week provides some colder temps and really locks it up.  But I need to be sure because if my wife finds out that we had even a slight mishap on the ice, she will give me grief about taking him icefishing for the rest of my life. :(

I have been following the reports in the Fishing Reports forum, but any more information will be greatly appreciated.  Maybe I will get to see some of you on the ice.

Thanks.

Offline bassman79

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • fish on get the net!!!
Re: Requesting Up-to-Date Info on Hills Creek
« Reply #1 on: Feb 11, 2006, 08:25 PM »
thor  lets put it this way ill pm you if hills creek becomes unsafe-- i live 10 minutes away and i fish it almost every day bassman79 ;D ;D
work is for people who dont fish!!!!!

Offline Thor

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Feb 11, 2006, 08:57 PM »
bassman79,

Thanks for your reply.  I am really looking forward to the trip.  I would appreciate the PM if the ice becomes unsafe, but we are going to make the trip whether the ice is safe or not.

I didn't know it at the time I made the reservations, but Hills Creek is supposedly having some sort of Winter Fun Day next weekend, with snowshoeing, tobogganing, etc.  I'd rather fish, but if worse comes to worst, we should be able to find something to do.

By the way, are you getting hit with tonight's snow up there?

Offline iceintioga

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Feb 13, 2006, 05:31 AM »
Thor
No snow to speak of here..as of this morning there is about 2" on the ground...
The ice is safe all over, about 7" everywhere I went...

Like Bassman, I live within ten minutes of the lake.

Hills creek has producing some nice bluegills and plenty of small ones..

Park at the far end boat ramp and walk straight out until you come to the place that looks like swiss ceese...all those holes produced many gills in the last few weeks.

Also as you come out the boat ramp, fish the area just past the last stumps sticking out (to the left)  I caught several nice pickeral there and also perch and gills...

I am always encouraged when I see kids on the ice, thank you for caring enough to take out your son.

ice-n-tioga

Offline Thor

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Feb 14, 2006, 08:59 AM »
iceintioga,

Thanks for the tips.  A few more days, and we'll be on our way.  I can see this becoming an annual tradition. :)

Anyway, I was checking out the AccuWeather forecast for Mansfield, PA, and they are calling for a warm-up this week, with RAIN on Friday. >:(  However, the weekend is supposed to be cold.

There's little chance that two or three days of warmer temps and some rain on Friday will make the ice unsafe, right?

Offline Icenutter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Feb 14, 2006, 09:57 AM »
Depends on alot of factors.

1.  How much rain?  Here in central PA accuweather says an inch of rain. >:(
2.  How well does the lake your fishing accept heavy runoff?
3.  Are there strong channels in the lake?
4.  How fast will the cold weather get here to freeze the slop back up and slow down the runoff?

I think you will be fine at Hills Creek considering it held up during the warm spell the whole month of Jan.  The lakes that were open last week and are starting to ice over again will probably be shot after the rain.  :-\
Bring on the ice!!!!!!!  <br />      

Offline GrnDay33

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Feb 15, 2006, 05:03 PM »
Went up to Hills Creek today, Beautiful out...Fishing was really slow, only caught 3 blue gill, and one dink perch. Had something nice on a tip-up, but got off about 6 feet from the hole. Ice is great, solid 6-8 inches... there were a few groups of fishermen out today too..we jumped all around the lake, from close to the dam, to in front of the beach, to around towards the head of the lake, but I only marked fish on my Vex. in 10 or more feet of water. Got a good sunburn on my face too...lol, should have warn sun screen. Had a good time anyways, think i'll go back again soon.

Offline marshrat

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Dont leave fish to find fish
« Reply #7 on: Feb 17, 2006, 08:17 PM »
Hey they canceled the annual icefishing event held for tom because of lack of ice but from what i am being told from u guys is that its good don't know what to tell you but all i know was that my dad and i were suppose to help and Bill Kerry called and said it was canceled
Christopher S Neal
3rd place 2011 NEIT Points Race
1st Place Lilly Lake 2011
1st Place Beechwood Lake 2012

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.