The ice fishing PA boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: NEPA regulars  (Read 2046 times)

Offline Red Lund

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Fish like Kastmasters!!!
NEPA regulars
« on: Feb 03, 2006, 09:59 AM »
What do all you guys think about the conditions for going out this weekend, I think ice will be fine in some places, with shorelines obviously the issue.

Going to try Fairview on Sat, if not good, gonna hit promised land, definetly will be able to plank on there, I hope.
NJ by address, PA by heart

Offline nepa old man

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: NEPA regulars
« Reply #1 on: Feb 03, 2006, 01:39 PM »
Shohola was tight to shore yesterday, 2 guys fishin, don't know about saturday with all the rain.
Good Friends, Good Family, Good Food, Good Fishin.

Offline Pike Popper

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Feb 04, 2006, 02:48 AM »
I'm not all that confident the shorelines held up. If I was I'd probably be getting ready right about now to leave  ;D Might just fish a river or something today. Im just gonna at least wait till next weekend before making a ride anywhere for ice, cause it should be solid again by then for sure.

Offline ranger22

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Feb 04, 2006, 06:11 PM »
hopefully with lows in the teens this week next weekend should be no problem. probably will give greely a try since i havent been there since before new years.

Offline Red Lund

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Feb 04, 2006, 08:03 PM »
Fished Fairview today, no problem walking right on with no plank, ice was fine.

Offline Pike Popper

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Feb 05, 2006, 01:44 AM »
Glad to hear Red Lund. I was way wrong about the ice. lol

Offline Red Lund

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Feb 05, 2006, 07:55 AM »
although the shorelines were better than I had thought, you still had to be careful the the main ice.  over the 50ft area, the ice was thinnest at right a 4 inches, but the ice had a little bit of bubbles.  the rest of the lake was about 5-6 inches.

Offline marshrat

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Dont leave fish to find fish
« Reply #7 on: Feb 05, 2006, 05:52 PM »
Hey after today just about any Questionable lake will be good all week long went to beechwood today it was soft and had some rotton ice in spots but it was ok  ;) ;)
Christopher S Neal
3rd place 2011 NEIT Points Race
1st Place Lilly Lake 2011
1st Place Beechwood Lake 2012

Offline George_B

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Always looking for new tip-up variations !!
« Reply #8 on: Feb 05, 2006, 06:38 PM »
How was the fishing at Fairview Red Lund?  What were you catching?
George

Offline Red Lund

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Feb 06, 2006, 01:49 PM »
How was the fishing at Fairview Red Lund?  What were you catching?
George

George,

Met Jig-A-Whopper at the lake, we both fished all over and both had flashers, only caught 2 perch between us.  Marked a decent amount of fish in the 35 ft range, but they wouldn't bite.  That place is tough as nails.

I'm thinking of trying Upper Woods for the first time on Friday and saw that you posted a couple weeks ago on it.  How's the ice up there, I assume it will be fine after this week, but you never know?

Other than trout and bass, what else does Upper Woods have in it, been having trouble finding out much on the lake on the Web?  Are there any size to the pan fish?

Thanks,
RL

Offline George_B

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Always looking for new tip-up variations !!
« Reply #10 on: Feb 06, 2006, 07:48 PM »
Thanks for the report Red Lund on Fairview, hope to get their this year and by the looks of the temperatures it looks good. The ice up at Upper Wood was a solid 8 inches January 28 and I believe has grown thicker with the cold. Most fishing was done right off the launch because of a recent stocking, but we went across the lake to stay away from the traffic. Heres a post that I don't take credit for that I copied from another site:

"Upper woods Pond: Wayne County

Upper Woods Pond is a deep natural glacial lake with a surface area of 80 acres and an average and maximum depth of 29.0 and 72.6 feet, respectively. It is located in Wayne County within State Game Lands 159.

FISHING
Upper Woods is under the Early Season Trout-Stocked Waters Program and has traditionally been included in the Commission's winter stocking program.
http://sites.state.pa.us/PA_Exec/Fi...stockwinter.htm
Trout holdover year-round and both adult and fingerling phases are stocked annually in the lake. A handicapped fishing pier is located near the launch ramp.
http://sites.state.pa.us/PA_Exec/Fi...upper_woods.htm

I have ventured to this lake only once but it was a good trip. These are trout waters. I caught trout. Browns and rainbows if I remember right. This is the heart of early PA ice country".
George

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.