Author Topic: Has Anyone Ever Fished Waxworms for Whities??  (Read 5657 times)

Offline Whitefish Slayer

• Team IceShanty Regular
Has Anyone Ever Fished Waxworms for Whities??
« on: Jan 23, 2006, 10:47 AM »
MY partner and I bought 1000 waxworms the other day.  We are the first people to ever bring them in town our town for ice fishing.  We know they work for panfish.  I want to know what you guys think about using them for whities.  We fish directly on bottom here as well so.

Offline Woodsman

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Has Anyone Ever Fished Waxworms for Whities??
« Reply #1 on: Jan 23, 2006, 06:10 PM »
Never tried them for whitefish but they just might work. Maybe try a couple on one hook on a two or three way spreader. Compare with small minnows. Post how you make out.

Good Luck

Living proof that "beer builds better bellies"

Offline Whitefish Slayer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 23, 2006, 08:02 PM »
We can only use SINGLE hooks here.  So everytime i by a lure i have to take the three prong off and it sucks stupid rule i tell ya.  What's the big difference I do not know.
Our ice got screwed up bad last couple weeks with rain and warm weather.  We had 17" of ice and now were down to 5" high water everywhere, pressure breaks galore.  Some spots it's open off shore a good 75 yds
but where we go on it's perfect it froze good so the shack is going out this weekend.

Offline jacksmelt71

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Jan 23, 2006, 09:35 PM »
i always wondered how waxies and maggots would work for whites. ive done good on the gray garden worms so the waxies should work as well. good luck!

Offline cheffy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Jan 26, 2006, 12:23 PM »

I've used maggots for whites just before iceout and they work like a damn.Used a wireworm hook with a single maggot fished in the horizontal position. I found that the hook position is more important that if it's baited.

Offline Andy 1955

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Feb 02, 2006, 06:54 AM »
Hey !
could anybody tell me what is a wire worm and where cen i get one ?

Offline Whitefish Slayer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Feb 02, 2006, 12:59 PM »
Andy 1955 a wire worm is basically a hook wrapped with thin coloured wired to give the hook a worm type effect. I would imagine  an egg type hook would give it a good shape  I have a friend who ties flies and he has done some up never tried em but everyone seems to have good luck on here with them. 

Offline xeon

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Dec 10, 2008, 11:39 AM »
Waxworms are pretty much the main bait used around my area by almost everyone! Usually people use a tear drop and put one wax worm onto it, then drop it to the bottom, and VERY slowly lift up about 1-2ft. I mean slow too, probably takes about 6-8s to lift up, then drop it down a bit faster, then repeat.

Offline 5galbucket

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Don't let the truth get in the way of a good story
« Reply #8 on: Dec 10, 2008, 10:20 PM »
I've used waxies for whities very successfully.  Depending on depth, I'll either use as small of a jig as I can get away with to get down in a reasonable time and provide enough tension to detect soft takes, or a jigging spoon with single-hook dropper.   I fish whities before ice up along breakwalls with a single waxie below a small shot and float with great success also. 

They do eat waxies, and when they aren't hitting jigging spoons with a waxie or 3 on the treble, I'll go to the dropper or jig w/ waxie.

Catch em up!
Rule #1:  Never tell your story first.

Offline tzeigs

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Jan 20, 2009, 11:10 PM »
Use them all the time on Green Bay.  Usually put a couple on the treble.  Also use spikes.

Waxies work very good for us...

Offline Spin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Feb 07, 2009, 10:13 PM »
  Dito the last post, ala so 2 or three waxies on a gold Gentz worm jig's been a good producer.

Spin

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.