Ice Fishing Tips -Check your local regulations! > Whitefish

whitefish setup help!

<< < (2/2)

Whitefish Slayer:
It depends on what waters you are fishing.  When I lived back in New Brunswick, CA where the water isn't very clear we always fished them in about 30 FOW on the bottom or very close to the bottom.  We used small hooks size 10 and 12's with sucker eggs, chain pikeral eggs, small pieces of fish.  Small bobbers were key for this tactic given how lightly they would bite.   Medium action rod with 4-6 lb test something with very lightly stretch (Stay away from cheap mono).

Where I am now I can see the bottom at 20 feet so it's basically sight fishing..  A much different tactic than what I was use too.  Here I use small jig or wire worms on the same rods as above and jig for them....

Good Luck!!! They can be tricky to catch but once you catch one you will be HOOKED!!!

HUNTnFISHSD:
 A double rig is a great setup. You can have a variety of them including a double hook, a spoon and a fly, and many others. The most popular is the double live waxworm. It has a spoon with waxworms on bottom for an attractor and a hook with a waxworm which the Whitefish usually hit.

IceBucky:

--- Quote from: AmazingZombieWeapons on Feb 10, 2013, 08:00 PM --- A double rig is a great setup. You can have a variety of them including a double hook, a spoon and a fly, and many others. The most popular is the double live waxworm. It has a spoon with waxworms on bottom for an attractor and a hook with a waxworm which the Whitefish usually hit.

--- End quote ---
how do u eat the white fish other then smoked

Drifter_016:
Pan fried, deep fried, baked......  ;)

Nightbird:
Great in chowder!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version