Ice Fishing Tips -Check your local regulations! > Whitefish

Whitefish advice

<< < (2/4) > >>

Yooper350:
We marked a ton of fish again today.  Very tough to watch them chase a bait up and down and never get a hit and if you just let it sit still they quickly would lose interest.  We tried it all today, pimples, buckshots, some other types of spoons, tear drops, plastics, wire worms, cured salmon eggs, bunch of different types of nymphs.  We went through the tackle box.  I even tried dead sticking with some very small hooks with waxworms, wigglers, or minnows and not one hit.  We just must have picked some of the worst days of the year to be out there.  Talked to one other guy out there today that said a week ago he was getting them very regular but hasn't been able to get anything the last 3 or 4 days so maybe we aren't doing something wrong.  Maybe I will try another lake close to the house that has some whitefish and lakers and see if I can locate them, its just so hard to leave fish you know are there.

Drifter_016:
This is a 10' thick school of whitefish that I worked for 3 hours and caught nada, bupkiss, squat, diddly, zero, zilch..........
I did manage 2 very light bumps though.   ::)

fisheyefool:
are you fishing on an inland lake or in a bay of one of the big lakes? i take it your fishing in the U.P. by your name.

HodakaD:
I experienced that same thing today.  I went to a spot that I did well at last year.  I marked more fish than I ever have, and none of them would bite.  The group that I was with tried different colors, wax worms, spikes, wigglers, droppers and everything else we could think of.  Fish would come flying up off the bottom, sniff it, and sink back.  It was a very frustrating day.  I coldn't decide if we were not offering them what they wanted, or they were in a weird mood.  Then I talked to another guy at the landing when we quit who said he got a few and when I asked him on what, he said Swedish Pimples.  I had one on most of the day!  Grrrr!  >:( 

blacktrap:
Some days they wont bite anything.  Trying to get them to bite is what makes them fun.  Keep trying different lures and spots, it will lead to success even on poor biting days.  My goto lure is really simple and on 3lb test line.  Another good way to get them is with two people jigging close with different lures, find one lure that they chase and then something simple with bait on it they will bite.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version