Ice Fishing Tips -Check your local regulations! > Whitefish

Whitefish advice

<< < (4/4)

Drifter_016:
My buddy cuts the plastic tails off jigging raps and slides a crappie tube over the rear hook when fishing whities.
Maybe this tail removal idea needs further investigation.   ;)2

Eaglecrg:
Eddie:  I have smoked whitefish and I scale them but leave the skin on.  Not sure why one would want to leave the scales on when whitefish scale so easily.  The skin helps hold the fish together so it doesn't flake apart.  Lots of recipes online--you ought to give it a try yourself.

cousin eddie:

--- Quote from: blacktrap on Jan 30, 2012, 10:11 AM ---Funny about your experience with the broken jigging rap, my wife had a jigging rap imitation from one of those cheap packages of jigs you see at wally world and that thing caught more whitefish that were stuck in the looking mode than anything else we had till a big laker cleaned it off.  It was also broken.  Guess I will be taking some old jigging raps along to be modified, I forgot all about that lure.  She will get a kick out of this when she reads it later.

--- End quote ---

Yeah, it must be something to do with the way the broken rap spiraled down faster than that normal rap glide.  On a day where the bite was slow and the fish seemed sluggish, I was surprise such an aggressive approach produced better than the subtle stuff (even tear drop/grub and split shot wasn't getting blown off).  I found that if I could get a fish with in a couple feet facing the bait, quickly raise the rap a foot or more and let it spiral down fast, the fish would strike at it almost every time.  They missed more than they connected, but they were definitely going after it more aggressively than anything else I was putting down the hole that day.  Kind of had to time it and base the length of lift on how far the fish were away.  I was using a #2 rap with a grub on the tail hook and treble.  The fin basically became unglued where it attached on one side.  I might have to glue the broken fin place as is and promote it from my perch arsenal to whitefish killer!

cousin eddie:

--- Quote from: Eaglecrg on Jan 30, 2012, 10:28 AM ---Eddie:  I have smoked whitefish and I scale them but leave the skin on.  Not sure why one would want to leave the scales on when whitefish scale so easily.  The skin helps hold the fish together so it doesn't flake apart.  Lots of recipes online--you ought to give it a try yourself.

--- End quote ---

Yep, found them to be pretty easy scaling, but I still don't like to scale in the house if I don't have to.  I left the skin on, just gutted, headed, scaled, and getting dropped off for smoking tonight after work.  No smoker at home (yet!) so I have to rely on the meat shop.  I'm sure it will be good from the shop, but I imagine some of the DIY recipes are fantastic.  Might have to talk an old friend of mine to open up his smoker for me next time!

Gixxer:

--- Quote from: blacktrap on Jan 30, 2012, 05:21 AM ---Someone knows how to catch em ;D.  How do you keep them from getting tangled in your camera cable?  I always end up in a big mess if I leave other lines down when one is hooked up.  I have switched over to the newer light braids that are out, 3 lb stuff is great.

--- End quote ---

I keep my camera at least 4-5 feet away from my hole if not farther.  It's also not needed if you KNOW your water and it's just whitefish your targetting.    The ultra light line is not needed generally because the fish never get to see anything but the bottom of your jig.    Once you think your getting good try jigging two rods at once, then it gets fun.  Just remember to keep your bait above the fish or in line as they show up on the graph.

Generally speaking in 20 feet of water and deeper the fish will show on the sonar before you see it on the camera.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version