Author Topic: What is the most productive method to catch whitefish  (Read 10961 times)

Offline Wiener

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Warranty Void if Seal is Broken
What is your most productive method of catching whitefish ?

What kind of rigs / jigs do you use ?

I caught some whitefish last year on my ultralight perch rod, and it was a blast.

I really want to start catching these fish and would like some suggestions on what works best.

Thanks

Wiener

Offline blacktrap

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Nut!
Re: What is the most productive method to catch whitefish
« Reply #1 on: Nov 05, 2009, 09:26 AM »
The best method is jigging by far.  Lots of different jigs will catch em.  The key is being in the right places with lots of whities around.  A vex type fish finder is a must.  We use small jigs like pimples, jigging raps, small spoons etc.  Almost any shiny jig will work from time to time.  Find a good area and experiment till you start getting them regularly.  We have an 8 per day limit here and got that just about every time out last year.  Lots of fun to catch and very good eating.  Also catch them using small pieces of cut bait laid on bottom with a jig rod in a holder.  Rig up some kind of strike indicator and leave the reel in freespool till you get one on.  Have fun.

Offline jacksmelt71

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Nov 18, 2009, 08:24 AM »
small pinose smelt w/ small hook on tip ups works good too. after catching one ill pull the trap and jig the hole and you can usually get your limit that way. the tip ups will tell you where the schools are.

Offline Woodsman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Nov 19, 2009, 05:11 AM »
One of the most productive tactics on Lake Simcoe the last few years is as follows.
1. Find deeper water(60'+). Last year 80' was our lucky depth(large deep flat).
2. Some forum of electronics to find if fish are present.
3. 3 1/4" Williams half & half ice jig. Smooth finish or even better the nu-wrinkle finish.(By far our most productive jig for fish that average 4-5 lbs.)
4. Bounce jig on bottom a couple times.
5. Raise jig from 1'-10'(I like about 5') off bottom & jig. Fish tend to hit better if they raise to the jig.
6. Repeat 4 & 5 every few minutes.
7. If you see fish constantly raising to your jig but not hitting try something different. Different jigging rhythm, add minnow head to treble, different jig size, colour or jig type.
8. If not marking fish anymore move & start process over.

Good Luck

Living proof that "beer builds better bellies"

Offline Fishn Michn

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Nov 20, 2009, 01:33 PM »
We CHUM a hole with spawn (salmon, steelhead, whitefish, brown trout, perch) come back to that spot the next day, a few days later, even sometimes a week later, but once they locate that spawn, they start feeding and tend to stick around.  When you come back, use a small bit of spawn on a #14 treble and lay it right on bottom with a barrel sinker and barrel swivel 6 - 8" up the hook.  Some guys use slip bobbers, I use a dead stick.  We are usually between 40 and 80'.  Sometimes you catch 2 or 3, sometimes it's 12 or more.  Once they find it, they tend to be in the area and stay in the area.  The night time seems to be the best where we fish, but the day is productive as well. 

Check your regulations in your state, I'm not sure you can chum in some states.

Offline dwc67

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Nov 23, 2009, 05:13 PM »
We CHUM a hole with spawn (salmon, steelhead, whitefish, brown trout, perch) come back to that spot the next day, a few days later, even sometimes a week later, but once they locate that spawn, they start feeding and tend to stick around.  When you come back, use a small bit of spawn on a #14 treble and lay it right on bottom with a barrel sinker and barrel swivel 6 - 8" up the hook.  Some guys use slip bobbers, I use a dead stick.  We are usually between 40 and 80'.  Sometimes you catch 2 or 3, sometimes it's 12 or more.  Once they find it, they tend to be in the area and stay in the area.  The night time seems to be the best where we fish, but the day is productive as well.  

Check your regulations in your state, I'm not sure you can chum in some states.

that is the exact system we use on georgeon bay for herring and whities except we used singles off tip-ups

btw salmon roe down a perch hole now and again keep fish there all day

Offline Wiener

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Warranty Void if Seal is Broken
« Reply #6 on: Nov 24, 2009, 04:41 AM »
Thanks for the info guys.

I'll be sure to try some of these methods this winter.

Thanks again,

Wiener

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.