Author Topic: success  (Read 1828 times)

Offline Wiener

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Warranty Void if Seal is Broken
success
« on: Feb 05, 2009, 09:32 PM »
I went out of Lipsky's on Green Bay, got hooks into 7, managed to ice 4 White fish,  lost a huge one in the hole.

My perch rod seems good for this kind of fishing, but the three fish I lost at the hole because of the hooks pulling out.

Do you guys use a gaff or some other trick to get these fish ?

Thanks for the help,  I had a blast and it wouldn't have been possible without the help from the guys on this Board.

Thanks,

Wiener

Offline Woodsman

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: success
« Reply #1 on: Feb 06, 2009, 02:40 PM »
Only if I know it's a keeper than I'll use a gaff.

Rick

Living proof that "beer builds better bellies"

Offline jabers69

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #2 on: Feb 06, 2009, 08:29 PM »
Congrats on your luck
hook and cook

Offline Spin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Feb 07, 2009, 09:45 PM »
     Solder, Epoxy, or even use duct or electric tap to attach a good size tremble hook with 2 tines cut off close to the shank to a sturdy rod or length of 1/8" pipe. Drill a thru hole and run a cord or leather boot lace
thru and tie it to form a wrist loop. Flatten the barb and you now have a small compact non lethal gaff. You can slip the hook tine in under the whitefish's lower jaw and slip him out onto the ice without too much effort and release him if you choose to without any lasting harm done. If you know that you're going to keep him you can gaff him on the body with little tissue damage. Use a cork or plug of foam from a cheap pair of shower tongs to cover the point when not in use. Punch out a bunch of plugs for that matter and do the same on single hook jigs or drill a hole thru the middle and slit them thru to the centerhole. Use these on the treble hooks on your jigging spoons.

Spin

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.