Author Topic: double rig jiggin  (Read 4605 times)

Offline WARNERS6

• IceShanty Rookie
double rig jiggin
« on: Feb 02, 2005, 10:39 PM »
 ??? just wondering if most of you guys run a line off your first rig or tie it tight to main line . tried it both ways with 3-way but wondering if less was better.

Offline WARNERS6

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: double rig jiggin
« Reply #1 on: Feb 02, 2005, 10:45 PM »
would ya split the bait between minnies to mousie to waxy or run same bait.what about jig size same or vary to see whats hitting . sorry for the info but less equipment less to carry :D. for im pretty much a run and chase jigger

Offline fishhead4268

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • LOVE THEM SLABS!!!!!!!
« Reply #2 on: Feb 02, 2005, 10:54 PM »
Sometimes I will put a fat head on the bottem to see if the perch want a fat head or mag,I usually set it 10-12 inches above the bottem jig, put an ice fly or a scooby snack (something smaller) on top and a little bigger on the bottem, sometimes you can get them doubles goin, 2 jumbies on 4lb, what a blast!!  I dont use them for gills or crappie though.
I FISH, THEREFORE I AM, IN SEARCH OF THE HEDI MOGIN !!!!HAVE ROD WILL TRAVEL!!!
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v237/Fishhead4268/IceShanty_Banner21.png

Offline crappieloo

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • nnnnn......Ice
« Reply #3 on: Feb 03, 2005, 05:34 AM »
Sometimes when you cant figure the bite i use a set up kinda like fh4268 for gills and crappies. I use a horizontal jig with spikes on the bottom one and a bare fly up 12 to 18 inches. Sometimes i get doubles of mixked bag fish. Bass.perch. gills or crappie.

Offline smeltking

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #4 on: Feb 03, 2005, 07:49 AM »
I use a jig on tehm bottom and then I  put a drop loop up from that a foot then aanother drop loop up  afoot. put flys on those with maggots. panfish and perch love this in small lakes anywhere but off of lake ontario.

Offline wormwigglr

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Feb 03, 2005, 07:56 AM »
i use the bro dropper rig.

Offline IceTrekker17

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I'll Treck for Miles For Slab Perch...
« Reply #6 on: Feb 03, 2005, 09:31 AM »
spreader w/ minnows in one hole, and a bobber w/ a tear drop in the other hole...find out what they're hitting, sometimes get doubleheaders on the spreaders  ;D

fishingbuddycb

« Reply #7 on: Feb 03, 2005, 10:45 AM »
dont mean to sound stupid but i have never seen or used ice flies was wondering what they look like and where to get them

Offline fishhead4268

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • LOVE THEM SLABS!!!!!!!
« Reply #8 on: Feb 03, 2005, 11:35 AM »
Most Tackle shops have them, just small flies . I use small prch eye jigs or glows on top, anything that is smaller than whats on the bottem. I usually use a size 10 or 12, I make my own jigs but you can buy them at any good tackle shop!!!  E-Mail me and I can send you a picture of all my small dropper flies and jigs!  FISH-ON

Offline archbishop

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Feb 03, 2005, 12:05 PM »
do you put anything on the top jig or just the jig itself?

Offline fishhead4268

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • LOVE THEM SLABS!!!!!!!
« Reply #10 on: Feb 03, 2005, 12:55 PM »
I always put a mag,perch eye,or mousie, if they are hitting fat heads well I will put 2 fat heads on, one on the bottem jig and one on the top. I start out with a fat head or a mag on the bottem and a mag on the top.  Sometimes to trigger the doubles you can bounce the bottem jig into the mud or weeds, whatever you are fishing and cause a comotion. Then a fish will hit one of the jigs and it kinda starts a frenzy and everybody wants a bite. Thats when it gets real fun!!  I use the double rig to find out the colors the fish are wanting and from there it can turn into a real sweet weapon!! I just got done rerigin 2 rods with doubles for this weekend, I am fishin a derby so I want to establish a pattern or what they are lookin for as quick as I can, lots of times they will hit the top jig & not the bottem, dont switch anything around if they do!!  I find that lots of times the bottem jig seems like it is pulling them in for a look and the smaller top jig seals the deal cause it is down sized just the rite amount!!

Offline reelcharacter

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Bluegills, That's how it all got started . . .
« Reply #11 on: Feb 08, 2005, 12:45 AM »
How about posting pictures of some of your double dropper rigs???
What knots do you use for the two hooks ???

-Reelcharacter
PM me to swap information on fishing holes or to go fish'in sometime in the Syracuse Central NY area (Onondaga and Madison county water holes in particular).

Offline C-web

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Feb 10, 2005, 09:09 PM »
I just use a regular knot and leave an extra long tag on it to tie on the bottom jig.  It seems to work for me.

Offline reelcharacter

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Bluegills, That's how it all got started . . .
« Reply #13 on: Feb 10, 2005, 09:26 PM »
I just use a regular knot and leave an extra long tag on it to tie on the bottom jig.  It seems to work for me.

Granny, or boy scout, knot . . .  ???

Thanks,
-Reelcharacter
PM me to swap information on fishing holes or to go fish'in sometime in the Syracuse Central NY area (Onondaga and Madison county water holes in particular).

Offline C-web

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Feb 10, 2005, 09:54 PM »
Just a simple clinch knot.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.