New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: Wax  (Read 4201 times)

Offline wetdreams

• Team IceShanty Regular
Wax
« on: Dec 28, 2019, 04:17 PM »
I put skis on the bottom of my Frabill sled. What does everyone put on the Bottom of there skis to make it pull easier ? Thanks Walt

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
Re: Wax
« Reply #1 on: Dec 28, 2019, 04:26 PM »
I use spray on ski wax or  pledge

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
  • The secret to fishing...fish where the fish are.
« Reply #2 on: Dec 28, 2019, 04:43 PM »
I've used nothing in 2 years.
"Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam circumspice."

Offline Ice pirate 74

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Dec 28, 2019, 04:56 PM »
I use paraffin wax , cheap and works great

Offline skinny4

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Dec 28, 2019, 05:24 PM »
Mainly just don't drag it thru the blacktop and over the rocks. Wax isn't going to make much of a difference. Iron on wax would be best. Type of ski, amount of snow and weight are what's important.

Offline hot tuna

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Dec 28, 2019, 05:42 PM »
I basically drag my gear over the blacktop,  through the gravel and across rocks so wax won't help me.
Right now there is little to no snow on the ice . If it becomes deep and packy , then it might make a difference but your skis should reduce surface area anyway.
I just huff and puff along

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #6 on: Dec 28, 2019, 05:49 PM »
hot tuna ....no smitty sled????

Offline skinny4

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Dec 28, 2019, 06:00 PM »
I drag mine over whatever it takes to get out there. They get destroy over time but luckily I've got spares from spring time garbage picking and switch them out every year or so. Wax would not really help unless we are talking downhill Smitty sled races!

Offline hot tuna

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Dec 28, 2019, 06:07 PM »
Trap,  I've had a really sweet one.  It still sits in basement.  The thing I found with it is I tend to over carry so the sled becomes just as weighty with an extra piece in the puzzle.
We do ok with the jet sleds and pop ups in deeper snow and flip overs in less.  My shappell fx100 I'd only 40 lbs and pretty narrow for dragging.
At times in need and deeded,  the atvs come out but they are useless in over a foot of snow without trails

Ps . For the asphalt dragging,  some sort of bottom protection is highly recommended

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #9 on: Dec 28, 2019, 06:14 PM »
I have the frabill recon 100  which is  super light myself ...with the  smitty I carry that heater   vex rod case auger and  tip ups ......

Offline wetdreams

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Dec 28, 2019, 06:26 PM »
Thanks for the replys. After I wore holes in all the corners I put the skis on. thanks Ice pirate I'm going to give that a try.

Offline hot tuna

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Dec 28, 2019, 06:44 PM »
Yes,  all my corners and first outside ribs are worn to the bone.
I tried riveting angle aluminum to reinforce.  Mistake,  it tore right off.
The replacement  plastic runners are the way to go. Something I should have done from start.
Industrial rtv silicone sealant is great for plugging the holes and gaps from the inside

Offline klino2280

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Dec 29, 2019, 09:03 AM »
Smitty sled here. Even on bare ice.... That way my clam Nanook doesn't take the brunt of destructive terrain on the way to the ice when parking can be a challenge. Smitty pulls like a dream.
A bad day of fishing is better than a good day at work.

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #13 on: Dec 29, 2019, 09:07 AM »
i like the smitty myself......one other note  .if you use ski wax  you have 2  temp. products  if you use  cold weather wax and it gets warm  snow will stick to the skis

Offline Joe in T.C.

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Dec 29, 2019, 10:14 AM »
I usually use downhill ski wax since I have some on hand, but paraffin or a candle is fine too.

Tea light candles are pocket-sized and are somehow always kept stocked in our house :)

I haven't tried the spray-on types but heard they work well.

The only wax I wouldn't use is a grip wax used on cross country skis.

They also make an all-temperature ski wax if you prefer. 

I think wax makes a big difference and I keep a bar in my gear for touch-ups when needed.

I also use it to fill gouges and coverup the screw heads that are countersunk into the bottom of my skis.

Snow is slippery and skis work with no wax, but I think the wax helps.

Good Luck All :tipup:

Offline emmettid

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Dec 29, 2019, 10:37 AM »
I have used silicone  on a cloth and apply heavy once a year for last 4 years works for me.

Offline perch chacer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Dec 29, 2019, 04:13 PM »
I put skis on the bottom of my Frabill sled. What does everyone put on the Bottom of there skis to make it pull easier ? Thanks Walt
Your tub is still going to plow snow and make a tough pull.  Put those skis on a Smitty instead.  Pulling hut on a Smitty verses on the snow is like  night and day.

Offline dog4up7

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Dec 30, 2019, 02:40 PM »

I built this one and my tub sled just drops into it. The skis have a 3/16 titanium rod running under the ski. It really saves the skis on dry pavement. I have only used it once but I think it will work well.

Offline NateD

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #18 on: Dec 30, 2019, 02:54 PM »
Do you all drag your smittys over pavement?

Offline got em

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #19 on: Dec 30, 2019, 04:18 PM »
On my one man clams I have the runners. . No problem. . Pulling a XL Jet sled loaded with gear wearing snow shoes in a foot of snow is priceless  ;D  . . 

Offline hot tuna

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Dec 30, 2019, 04:53 PM »
On my one man clams I have the runners. . No problem. . Pulling a XL Jet sled loaded with gear wearing snow shoes in a foot of snow is priceless  ;D  . .

Yes it is got em.  Keeps up in shape 👍
There are some nice smitty sleds out there, dog's s is sweet. 
Thing I've found is there is only so much room in the vehicle and having to put gear together in below zero sucks.
Yes I understand for some they work great but for me and usually 3 shanties in the truck get tight .

Speaking of which,  I just got shanty #7 tonight along with 2 jet sleds already.
Think I need to attend fisherman anonymous meetings

Offline got em

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #21 on: Dec 30, 2019, 09:43 PM »
 ;D yeah. . You need some professional help. .  I only have 6 portable shantys. . Please seek help before it's too late. .  :o

Offline hot tuna

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Dec 31, 2019, 07:01 PM »
Drilling 28 holes in a new tub was heart wrenching but a necessary evil.

Offline wetdreams

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Dec 31, 2019, 10:17 PM »
i Found 2 different type of Wax. Radical wax & Oneball all temperature rub on wax. Ill be putting it on tomorrow & then waiting for some safe ice to try it. $ 11.95 a piece. Walt

Offline hot tuna

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Jan 01, 2020, 10:40 AM »
So with today's bust getting on local ice below the blue line,  I figured I'd do some constructive work on my old flip over.
The tub is pretty shot with the corners blown out and the outside seams cracked. I still use it regularly and it has quite a bit of rtv silicone on inside holding it together.
I had this stuff called Dura slide lying around.  Its super expensive,  incredibly abrasive resistant,  very slick and a pia to cut.
I ripped 4 - 1" × 1/2" strips. 
At least I won't feel as bad drilling 28 holes in a well used and abused sled as I did yesterday in a new one.

Stay safe out there folks.

Offline ice4066

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Jan 01, 2020, 02:39 PM »
for runners on our tubs we mount 1 inch tubing from maple sap lines ,my buddy has tons of pieces from his maple syrup set up also i put a split all the way down some to cover the conduit on my pipe sled runners ,no wax needed

Offline SirCranksalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #26 on: Jan 01, 2020, 07:58 PM »
Drilling 28 holes in a new tub was heart wrenching but a necessary evil.

What are those white strips?thx
Keep yer stick on the ice!

Offline SirCranksalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #27 on: Jan 01, 2020, 07:59 PM »
for runners on our tubs we mount 1 inch tubing from maple sap lines ,my buddy has tons of pieces from his maple syrup set up also i put a split all the way down some to cover the conduit on my pipe sled runners ,no wax needed

Pix?
Keep yer stick on the ice!

Offline hot tuna

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #28 on: Jan 01, 2020, 08:13 PM »
What are those white strips?thx

They are hyfax runners from frabill I got for $5.00 when gander mt. closed a few years ago.
Retail is about $40.00

The green ones are a material called dura slide. Something I had lying around and cut to size.  Don't even think about that stuff as its very expensive at $1,500.00 a 4x10 sheet.  Its industrial stuff but I guess if you sliced it all down,  $40.00 a set still makes a profit.

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #29 on: Jan 02, 2020, 08:00 AM »
I have a xt650 cottage...88lbs empty, probably over 160lbs with panoptix and other gear....makes for a good heavy snow plow.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.