Author Topic: tip-ups for walleyes?  (Read 6494 times)

Offline nyy2

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: tip-ups for walleyes?
« Reply #30 on: Jan 13, 2013, 09:21 AM »
use jigging tip ups....

Offline UFCreel

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #31 on: Jan 14, 2013, 06:51 AM »
Once you put a couple beads on and a small blade. A single treble hook becomes a lure. As far a DNR is concerned.
Flags up! Bobbers down!

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #32 on: Jan 18, 2013, 05:40 AM »

I really like reading how much different eyes are in other places here tip ups stay in the box cause we can jig them up much faster and in no. and during the day , but if i get to fish any of these other places i will have a heads up on how to do it thanks

Offline Yooper77

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #33 on: Jan 18, 2013, 06:09 AM »
Do you guys fish even after dark? Most people here pull their traps and head home a little after the sun sets and it gets dark.

Changed my middle name to "You should have been here yesterday".         Remember it's called fishing, not catching.

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #34 on: Jan 18, 2013, 06:40 AM »
Do you guys fish even after dark? Most people here pull their traps and head home a little after the sun sets and it gets dark.

we fish till dark and head out

Offline HUNTnFISHSD

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Die Hard Fisherman
« Reply #35 on: Jan 23, 2013, 08:25 AM »
Use a medium sucker or shiner on a #4 SureSet hook. Well actually two SureSet hooks just like a quick strike rig. People always think you need to be finesse with walleyes but they will hit them all the time. Another good thing about the quickset rig is that it limits the mobility of the minnow which means it doesn't swim away from the walleye so much.

Offline ICE DOG 69

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #36 on: Jan 23, 2013, 02:37 PM »
I have been ice fishing walleyes for over 25 years and this is what I do.

I personally use a 2 foot leader of power pro 40lb test 10lb diameter, it's red.  I use a number 8 or 10 trebble hook and a medium shiner however if I have bigger shiners I will not shy away from those either as I have had very good success with both. I use two small split shots and I put them as in a pendulum so the minow gets slowed by the second split shot just for a second or long enough for an eye to catch it, works really well..

The reason I use the powr pro is because we have huge Musky-sturgeon and pike in the area and catching one of those makes for a GREAT Photo....  I have the most success in 16-20 ft of water but I will scatter tipups a little deeper up to 25ft and as shallow as 5 ft.  Usually I split them up and I end up jigging in the middle depths of around 16-18ft while watching the tip ups at the other depths.
Being within 2 ft of bottom should be your goal so take your time when setting your tip ups.  The power pro is a braid and does not seem to bother the eyes as I have not noticed any negativ e reactions , infact Not to brag but most guys around me copy what I do and almost all have switched over to what I have done and like I said we have been catching the eyes with no problem!
Barometric pressure is something I follow and for a couple years I kept a journal and on certain situations I would not bother going out and then on other occassions (certain wind direction combined with pressure ) and you couldn't keep me from the ice.  Best times are last hour of light first 2 hours of dark, last hour of dark first 2 hours of light.

Offline pikeaddict

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #37 on: Jan 23, 2013, 04:18 PM »
Best times are last hour of light first 2 hours of dark, last hour of dark first 2 hours of light.

:thumbsup:

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.