Author Topic: Jiffy 8" Hand Auger Blade Sharpening  (Read 724 times)

Offline volume4130

• Team IceShanty Regular
Jiffy 8" Hand Auger Blade Sharpening
« on: Mar 06, 2024, 08:34 AM »
Last year I picked up an 8" Jiffy hand auger and was wondering if anyone had any experience sharpening the blades.  It's a chipper style blade, with different sections, but the section closest to the center point is longer than the others, so the pull sharpener they make would not work.  I supposed I could file each section, but I'd be concerned about keeping the angles correct.

This season I used it on a Clam Plate with my drill, and it worked fine, but if you look on the website description, it says "Not compatible with powered drills", so I guess I'm wondering if I'm putting extra strain on the drill, don't want to burn it out.

Does anyone know if the screw hole patterns line up with a different style/brand of blade and could work with this auger?  Don't really want to buy new blades all the time, especially I've been able to just touch up other brands a few times throughout the season.

Wasn't an expensive auger, so if I had to replace it, I could find something more suited to use with the clam plate.  Here's the link to the blades for reference:

https://jiffyonice.com/products/hand-auger-blades?variant=40795280375851

Thanks in advance!

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Re: Jiffy 8" Hand Auger Blade Sharpening
« Reply #1 on: Mar 06, 2024, 09:40 AM »
You might be better served with a Mora/shaver/flat bladed auger . Jiffy seems to be an odd duck Edsel. Lots of knock off composite augers on Amazon at reasonable prices . Mora blades can be found almost anywhere ...and can be sharpened with a minimal skill set.
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline thomasthepikehunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Mar 06, 2024, 11:25 AM »
The reason it says that is a "power auger" typically has a 7/8" output shaft. Hand augers are typically smaller than that. They do not physically fit without an adapter. Obviously an auger that is meant to be turned by hand does not drill hard, or at least it would be a garbage hand auger if it did. It should be just fine on a drill, you would know if it wasn't.

I don't know about sharpening jiffy blades. I would think the best way would be some sandpaper, a flat surface, and sharpen it on the edge of a table.

I'm a big Mora auger fan. They are about a pound lighter than Lazer augers.

Lazer augers are a little heavier, but supposedly cut faster than a Mora. I've spent my whole season this year with a Lazer hand auger, and it cuts great. I'm not convinced it's faster than a Mora though.
-Tom

Offline badger132

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Mar 06, 2024, 03:52 PM »
I think that if you are using a Clam plate, if it is the one that has gear reduction, that is as good as an auger for torque, and you should be fine. I have not tried blades like that, but for all others (mora, Lazer, even Nils) I have had good luck using a knife sharpener of different types, and sharpening only the side away from the ice. I have used hand stones, paper wheels with abrasive, and even a worksharp, and they all worked. I would try that and see what the results are. Just match the angle, then tilt the blade slightly up so you are creating a secondary bevel. and sharpen enough to put a new edge on. I use Jewelers loupes to see the edge and verify what I am doing, but your eyes might be better than mine. These are chipper style blades, I believe, and are not as fussy as shaver type blades.

Offline Ronnie D

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Mar 06, 2024, 03:58 PM »
Bought a couple of sets of jiffy blades  & they didn't  line up right. Could have been changes in production  or ownership  but it's  a crapshoot.
I usually send mine out every  other year to these guys for sharpening  & haven't  been disappointed
Robinson's Saw Service, Inc. https://g.co/kgs/q2xcb4V

Offline perch chacer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Mar 08, 2024, 03:27 PM »
Fish307.com - Auger Blade Sharpening.  Address 6 State Route 149 Lake George N. Y, 12845,  Tel: 1-800 347- 4307,  They sharpen all removable auger blades.  The blades I have had sharpened cut like new when returned.  They are or were a sponsor for Ice Shanty.

Offline thomasthepikehunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Mar 08, 2024, 05:34 PM »
Bought a couple of sets of jiffy blades  & they didn't  line up right. Could have been changes in production  or ownership  but it's  a crapshoot.
I usually send mine out every  other year to these guys for sharpening  & haven't  been disappointed
Robinson's Saw Service, Inc. https://g.co/kgs/q2xcb4V

Jiffy got bought by Ardisam (Eskimo) last year. It's hard to say what will happen in the future. Jiffy fell a long way from what they were 20 years ago. I feel they went way to headfirst into those garbage 4 stroke propane augers, then they sold out to China. They used to be the rough and tough American brand, no real changes, no need for changes. Their stuff just worked. Hopefully Ardisam brings that back, and turns Eskimo into the high performance/hotrod brand. Unfortunately it seems Ardisam does not manufacture anything, it's mostly made in China and imported. It sure would be nice if they opened a plant in the usa, probably Wisconsin. Ardisam is a big enough brand now, they could justify it for sure.
-Tom

Offline JohnnyO19

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Mar 25, 2024, 10:45 AM »
Fish307.com - Auger Blade Sharpening.  Address 6 State Route 149 Lake George N. Y, 12845,  Tel: 1-800 347- 4307,  They sharpen all removable auger blades.  The blades I have had sharpened cut like new when returned.  They are or were a sponsor for Ice Shanty.

Thanks for this site. Haven't found anything locally, so I may use this. $12bucks a set is pretty reasonable

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.