Ice Fishing Iowa board sponsored by

Author Topic: Cedar Falls Trout Pond  (Read 2184 times)

Offline 1Eskimoshack

• IceShanty Rookie
Cedar Falls Trout Pond
« on: Feb 13, 2008, 08:44 PM »
Could someone give me an idea where the Cedar Falls trout pond is, I have fished the one in Dubuque but would like to try the one in Cedar Falls Friday. Thanks
Shiner down, Flag up!!

Offline KrappieSlayer

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Cedar Falls Trout Pond
« Reply #1 on: Feb 13, 2008, 09:15 PM »
If you're coming from C.R. after 380 simply get onto 20W and take the exit that you would if you were going to the uni dome... (hudson road)... take hudson road north and take a right on Viking Road... once your on viking about a mile down the road take a right into prarie lakes... there is a couple different parking lots.  i'm not sure which lake is the trout lake... it's labeled im sure though.  good luck.. anymore directions or clarification let me know. if the trout aren't biting skip over to the other lake and usually the crappie gills and bass aren't out of reach.
Pool 9 Pro

Offline glh150

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Feb 14, 2008, 10:25 AM »
This link shows you a Goggle map. The trout pond is the furthest north.
HWY 58 (Hudson RD) north off of HWY 20

<http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&geocode=&q=cedar+falls,+IA&ie=UTF8&ll=42.476845,-92.455273&spn=0.045389,0.084801&t=h&z=14&iwloc=addr>

Whoops! The link don't work for me but goggle Cedar Falls and you'll find it.

Hib

Offline crappie98

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Feb 14, 2008, 10:54 AM »
I don't know what your experience is fishing trout through the ice but the north pond there we find everyone likes to fish deep so we went in shallow 3 to 8 foot and limited out on trout in no time.  Seems they like the shallow water pretty good.

Offline KrappieSlayer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Feb 14, 2008, 02:53 PM »
They stocked it recently also... a good couple of weeks ago.  So im sure there are lots of em.

Pool 9 Pro

Offline 1Eskimoshack

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Feb 14, 2008, 09:40 PM »
Thanks gents, going to try it tomorrow.
Shiner down, Flag up!!

Offline 1Eskimoshack

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Feb 15, 2008, 07:48 PM »
fished prairie today, caught a limit in 10 minutes, went and fished the other pond, caught a few gills, crappies and one bass.  had fun, thanks for the info guys, saw so very many trout on the aqua view, but it seemed to spook them, soon as I took it out of the water, I limited shortly.
Shiner down, Flag up!!

Offline Xpressman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Feb 19, 2008, 10:13 AM »
1Eskimoshack -

was there any bait that was working for you better than another? Or any location on the pond better than another? I haven't been up there for about 3 years and am thinking about going this Friday.

Thanks,
X

Offline CrappieBuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Feb 19, 2008, 01:16 PM »
From my experience of trout fishing through the ice. If you cant see bottom your not gonna see your limit in the bucket.  I have picked them up at odd depths especially the bigger ones in 30+ feet of water pannie fishing.  But they are few and far between.  When they fish Blue pit here in town they usually fish 1-4 feet.  Very few people use minnows and I believe they are the ticket with a smaller Kastmaster hooking them in the tail. 

Offline 1Eskimoshack

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Feb 19, 2008, 10:02 PM »
I couldn't buy a bite on the minners, caught all the trout on a blue swedish pimple with a waxie on each treble
Shiner down, Flag up!!

Offline Xpressman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Feb 20, 2008, 06:38 AM »
Thanks 1Eskimoshack.  That's what I was going to do being as I didn't want to mess with the minners!  I'll report back and let you all know how i did.

What was the size of trout your were catching.  I'll probably try and keep some bigger one if possible or just catch and keep 4 and then do catch and release until I'm ready to go and then keep #5.  I just love catching those fish through the ice, they fight so well.  Hopefully the roads are decent by Friday!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.