Author Topic: Ice fishing baitcasting reel....  (Read 2856 times)

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
Ice fishing baitcasting reel....
« on: Sep 23, 2018, 12:29 AM »
So does anyone thing we will see some company release an “ice fishing”bait casting reel....

Guessing it would just be a baitcaster in a size to fit our ice rods.....

Surprised no company has done it yet.

Offline HWeber

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Ice fishing baitcasting reel....
« Reply #1 on: Sep 23, 2018, 08:36 AM »
Not enough rods out yet, but same argument could be had for nor having rods, not enough reels.  ;D what comes first the rod or the reel  ???

Offline Handy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Sep 23, 2018, 09:54 AM »
hopefully it wouldn't be expensive either. No overly complicated spool tension system to prevent rats nesting. It would make things more compact to store also.

Offline river rat78

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Sep 23, 2018, 10:09 AM »
Baitcasters are better used with heavier baits and line. I don’t see them being able to drop small lures designed for panfish. I do see them being used to target larger fish like walleye, pike, laker trout. For this you can just use a low profile baitcaster.

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #4 on: Sep 23, 2018, 10:33 AM »
Id like to see a nice small baitcaster reel too.not the cheap ht one either..i think it wouldnt be a levelwind because that has the tendency to get water splashed on it and freezes up on my winter steelhead reels.

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
  • The secret to fishing...fish where the fish are.
« Reply #5 on: Sep 23, 2018, 11:56 AM »
No interest here  :-\
"Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam circumspice."

Offline missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē FÿSh
« Reply #6 on: Sep 23, 2018, 06:45 PM »
plenty of smaller bait casters out there...
Id buy 5 of them before a single in line reel :)

Offline bart

• Team IceShantyholic
  • I love you, Deb
« Reply #7 on: Sep 23, 2018, 06:59 PM »
I like a baitcaster for Lakers. I have a Abu Garcia Pro Max that fit my hand well, good line capacity and does double duty during the open-water season.

"Many fish their entire lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."-Henry David Thoreau
  Keep America Godly...

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #8 on: Sep 24, 2018, 04:54 AM »
I bugged Shimano about it for years.... LOL.  They know that there's not a profit to go for.

They have the tooling and designed all done, just that they only made very expensive models done.  No one is gonna pay In excess of $400 for an ice reel.

Previous reels that suits ice fishing style were, the Calcutta 50, Chronarch 50.  Current models like Curado 70, Aldebaran MGL 50, or Aldebaran BFS.

13 fishing has been the most responsive to the ice fishing market.  I'm sure they will be the first company to try a real ice fishing bait casting reel.  Not counting that tear dropped of a reel.  That was one heavy clunker.
For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #9 on: Sep 24, 2018, 07:38 PM »
I like a baitcaster for Lakers. I have a Abu Garcia Pro Max that fit my hand well, good line capacity and does double duty during the open-water season.
(Image removed from quote.)

Lol....that is the same reel I have on my St. Croix bait caster ice Rod. I use it when big pike come around.

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #10 on: Sep 24, 2018, 07:40 PM »
13 fishing has been the most responsive to the ice fishing market.  I'm sure they will be the first company to try a real ice fishing bait casting reel.  Not counting that tear dropped of a reel.  That was one heavy clunker.

I bought/have a tear drop...while it was an interesting idea/setup it just collects dust in the corner......never really cared for it.

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #11 on: Sep 24, 2018, 10:21 PM »
There were other flawed attempt with small bait casting reel from Shakespeare and HT, which were a version of a Wally Marshall Mr. Crappie mini reel.  All built cheap, were clunky to operate, and spools were too small giving off the worst pig tail lines.  Drag was non-existent.  You got some drag or you got full stopping line breaking drag. 

Even if it was $10 it was a waste of time, money, and space...

Offline hays47

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Sep 25, 2018, 07:09 AM »
I rather like the 13 teardrop reel. They match up well with a couple of my rods. They did not stay in production very long. So obviously the vast majority agree with those that dislike it. Long time pencil grip  fan . This reel seems ideal to me for that purpose.

They aren't my favorite but somehow. They are always on board when going out.
Echomap 94  Chirp with panoptix ps-22.
G.E.F.M

Offline bart

• Team IceShantyholic
  • I love you, Deb
« Reply #13 on: Sep 25, 2018, 08:03 AM »
Lol....that is the same reel I have on my St. Croix bait caster ice Rod. I use it when big pike come around.

Mine sits on a Jason Mitchell 36" Mackinaw rod...
"Many fish their entire lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."-Henry David Thoreau
  Keep America Godly...

Offline bart

• Team IceShantyholic
  • I love you, Deb
« Reply #14 on: Sep 25, 2018, 08:12 AM »
I bought/have a tear drop...while it was an interesting idea/setup it just collects dust in the corner......never really cared for it.

I have a Black Betty 6061 on a Wicked ice 28M, only had it out a couple of times, don't care for it. It's just been collecting dust here too... may give it one more go this winter before I get rid of it?
  Keep America Godly...

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #15 on: Sep 25, 2018, 09:49 AM »

Bart I have the same set up and I have no issues , I use it for eyes and perch on Oneida
  Just shows what’s works for one doesn’t for another,

Offline Philip

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Sep 25, 2018, 10:17 AM »
Baitcasters are better used with heavier baits and line. I don’t see them being able to drop small lures designed for panfish. I do see them being used to target larger fish like walleye, pike, laker trout. For this you can just use a low profile baitcaster.

I think a BFS reel could get a light lure down there
Team Comfy Skunks

Offline matzilla

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Sep 25, 2018, 12:56 PM »
take the break system off a baitcaster and it will get a small lure down for sure....does anyone make an affordable (under $50???) baitcaster in a small size?

Catchin' Fish

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #18 on: Sep 25, 2018, 02:05 PM »
I think there are some smaller baitcast reels for crappie.forget who makes them.smaller sizes than a standard abu garcia series.not the cheap ht ones.ok crappie max by bps,lews has one and a few others.no reason you couldn’t get rid of the grease and put some hot sauce in them.baitcasters for crappie is what i searched.

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #19 on: Sep 25, 2018, 06:22 PM »
It's not really the actual physical size of the bait casting reel, but more the shallow spool designed just for some ice fishing line capacity.  Next there is no need for a braking system as there's no need to cast.  Then having a graphite type frame instead of a metal type frame, cuz cold metal is always colder with some moisture.  Finally a precision design so that 1 or 2# diameter lines don't slip around the spool lip and getting caught up in the gears.

Offline matzilla

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Sep 26, 2018, 09:10 PM »
Smaller size would allow for more sensitivity and grip options....a baitcaster built this way would be a perfect fit for crappie dipping rods too

Catchin' Fish

Offline ran7ger

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Sep 29, 2018, 03:11 PM »
 i think i paid $50 for a small low pro pfleuger i forget the model.  have it on a 36" mackinaw rod with spiral guides.  pretty much the only rod i use for pike, lakers and burbot.

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #22 on: Sep 29, 2018, 04:53 PM »
Not enough rods out yet, but same argument could be had for nor having rods, not enough reels.  ;D what comes first the rod or the reel  ???

The rods of course.  Back when I was looking for a bait casting set-up, there were pretty much broom stick with like two line guides.  Then there was the Dave Genz Gold rod for like a cheap $100 and some change.

A child fishing rod was a better choice.  Barbie or Snoopy...LOL.

Nowadays there could be quality youth bait casting rods that will get the job done wonderfully for $20 but they'll be at about 4' long to maybe 5' long.  There were even short 3' bass rods that existed for a long time too, Diawa Triforce comes to my mind.  If you want better specs or quality custom made route.

Offline wirenut45

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #23 on: Sep 30, 2018, 05:49 AM »
hey Bart, if you wanna get rid of that 6061, shoot me a PM, wire

Offline Tmuskie

• Team IceShanty Maniac
There's a hole in the Ice,  Dear Liza, Dear Liza.
There's a hole in the ice, Dear Liza, a hole.

Well fish it, Dear Henry, Dear Henry, Dear Henry
Well fish it Dear Henry. Dear Henry, Fish it.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.