Author Topic: Elliot Ice Rod Siscowett Bait casting  (Read 5992 times)

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
Elliot Ice Rod Siscowett Bait casting
« on: Nov 30, 2019, 07:31 AM »
Preliminary Review: Elliot Ice Rod Siscowett-C

The rod retails at $145 and is a solid carbon fiber blank.  Heavy Power and Fast action is what I was looking for.  The rod is labeled as a 44" length and I thought it kind of looked just a tad bit long so after measuring it came in at plus 46 inches long.  When looking at the rod, I was wondering why didn't it come with a more traditional double feet line guides, but I sort of knew the answer to that already.  It's a bit harder to flick ice off of those guides, even though it offers the rigidity on the whole rod overall.  The line guides are  from manufacture Sea guide.  Yes, I did compare it against the Spinning version that was listed as a 46" length and that rod was still nearly two inches longer.  So anyways I am not complaining, but actually ecstatic that it's longer.

I was at a pivotal point of contemplating St. Croix Custom Apex Predator vs the Elliot Rod Siscowett.  As usual St. Croix rods are almost a half power stronger and comparing hand test flex also gave me the same impressionable results.  I would already buy the Apex Predator if it existed in a bait casting model, but that's not the case.  The Elliot Rod Siscowett gets to come home.  Again back to the line guide choice and why.  First I am not casting the rod, so I understand that.  However what if I wanted to in the summer time and make this my shorty rod for tight spaces.  Well we'll see when that happens, as there's always just practice casting on the ice when the fish ain't biting.

So as intended for a standing vertical jigging rod, the line guides works.  It's a rod tip down onto the hole and that is the function being optimized for that.  As usual playing with the rod flex with line through the guides, I did experience some slight rod torsion roll over.  That is expected due to the larger rings and it's easy for the line to torsion along the edge.  I can only imagine that smaller line guide rings would prevent that as well as using a double feet line guides, but this is an ice rod.  I'm not fighting fish in open water, I will be tugging against it with a hole on the ice floor.  There is almost barely some line contact on the blank at 90 degree angle line pull and it was at the mid section just at the start of the rod bend.  Mostly just due to how short the legs of each line guides are.  The tip section showed good clearance.  So I have to keep a reminder to self to not fish like an open water rod and fish like an ice rod for what it's designed for.  Being a heavy power rod, I should have no problems.

The syncork thing is still very different to me, but I will embrace it.  The balance point on this rod is so wonderful with a low profile bait casting reel mounted on.  I am just in a toss up over low profile vs traditional round bait casting reel. 

One last check was with the Giant Chubby Darter.  That heavy lure weighing in at about 3.5 ounces or so is quite a feat to be jigging about.  Yes it's too heavy for this rod to handle comfortably as well, but it's like fighting a fish the whole time with the Giant Chubby Darter.

I may plan to put some field test first on my usual crappie chase. (I didn't pay full retail price...)
For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
Re: Elliot Ice Rod Siscowett Bait casting
« Reply #1 on: Nov 23, 2020, 07:18 AM »
Looks like the rod is a one season rod only and it seems that they are no longer made.

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #2 on: Feb 11, 2021, 01:39 AM »
I saw at the local tackle shop and they just got some last shipment of the Siscowett Bait casting rods.  I guess it made it to two seasons.  It looks like it was updated a little bit and the stripper line guide is an actual double foot casting line guide.  It looks nice and appears that the line guides may be one size down from the one I've got.  Still all heavy power.  Oh I wish how they should make a medium or medium light power bait casting rod just like that.

Offline theTUGistheDRUG

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Mar 10, 2021, 01:12 PM »
The website has these on sale for $120.  Assuming it is the new design you were talking about.

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #4 on: Mar 12, 2021, 06:29 PM »
The website has these on sale for $120.  Assuming it is the new design you were talking about.

Oh looks like they made more of them again.  Appears that the website still has the old model picture on it.  The stripper guide is still a single foot line guide.  Maybe they made two different types.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.