The Ice Fishing MA is board

Author Topic: Had a great day on Buel. scary ice recession starting  (Read 1157 times)

Offline tafts ta

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Professional Ice Guide, Tournament Angler, TV Host
Caught 6 nice bass, all around three pounds, one pike about 8 pounds and a ton of picks and perch. Surrounded by my hammer&scicle friends who drooled over my pike until I put it back in the water. All the bass and pickerel came on big 6 inch pond shiners, my pike came on a medium... ???
Really starting to open up now along the sun drenched side. Was on six+ inches in the middle, but drilled a hole about 60 feet from the open water and it was closer to 4 inches. This week isn't going to help it any.

If you go to buel, There is a massive pressure ridge that opened into a breather right where you get on / off. It was solid getting on in the AM around 5:00, but real wet getting off at about 3:00 PM. The eastern shore is iffy, but the southwest seems ok
Host of TV's Guiding Ice
Pro-Staff HT ENTERPRISES, Pro Staff POLAR FIRE, Pro Staff VEXILAR, Pro Staff OTTER OUTDOORS, Pro Staff PK LURES, Pro Staff DEEP FREEZE, Pro Staff Bunker Up Fishin
Pro Staff JAW JACKERS
New England's Only Authorized Representative for SnoBear Vehicles!

Offline BASSQUATCH

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Gone Fishing 🎣
Re: Had a great day on Buel. scary ice recession starting
« Reply #1 on: Feb 13, 2012, 06:23 PM »
Sounds like a great day !  :thumbsup: :tipup:

Offline jonserfish1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hi, my name is Jeff and I'm a fishahaulic!
« Reply #2 on: Feb 13, 2012, 06:53 PM »
Buel in Monterey/Lee?

Offline WESTPORTMAFIA

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Feb 13, 2012, 08:26 PM »
Must have been a different Buel.

Offline tafts ta

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Feb 14, 2012, 07:15 AM »
Buel in Monterey.  Don't get me wrong.  There is still safe ice there, just have to get on it. The ramp is still open as always, but you can get on or off single file no problem. I was just amazed at how fast the open water is growing even after the cold weekend. That wind kept the small areas of open water open, and the sun yesterday even opened up just a bit more sponge on the eastern shore.

Warm weather this week won't help.  Praying for a cold snap to squeak out one more solid weekend
Host of TV's Guiding Ice
Pro-Staff HT ENTERPRISES, Pro Staff POLAR FIRE, Pro Staff VEXILAR, Pro Staff OTTER OUTDOORS, Pro Staff PK LURES, Pro Staff DEEP FREEZE, Pro Staff Bunker Up Fishin
Pro Staff JAW JACKERS

Offline BaitBucket

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #5 on: Feb 14, 2012, 07:37 AM »
Warm weather this week won't help.  Praying for a cold snap to squeak out one more solid weekend

I hear yah man.. I got about 2doz goldens left.. If i can get out this weekend ill bring them all with me.. What ever i dont use will go back to where they came from. This is prolly the last weekend ill get out   :'(
Official Member of The G.I.T.s, Gods In Training 1/2014
The fishing was good; it was the catching that was bad.

Offline jss111678

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Feb 14, 2012, 08:45 AM »
when were you there? i was there yesterday saw the same thing at the ramp. didn't see you.

Offline tafts ta

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Feb 14, 2012, 09:04 AM »
when were you there? i was there yesterday saw the same thing at the ramp. didn't see you.

I was there yesterday fishing next to "Little Moscow" in the Middle. Great Day.

Host of TV's Guiding Ice
Pro Staff JAW JACKERS

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #8 on: Feb 14, 2012, 09:14 AM »
Paul how do I keep Vlad and Putin from jigging my holes, or setting up on top of my traps?

Offline BaitBucket

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #9 on: Feb 14, 2012, 09:18 AM »
Paul how do I keep Vlad and Putin from jigging my holes, or setting up on top of my traps?

Pull your tilt, jig a darter till you catch their line, pull it up and cut it to untangle it, put your tilt back in..
Official Member of The G.I.T.s, Gods In Training 1/2014
The fishing was good; it was the catching that was bad.

Offline tafts ta

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Feb 14, 2012, 09:57 AM »

Actually i have to say that for the first time ever yesterday the group that was out there showed me a little respect.

I had a group of 4 guys so I had 20 type in the water. Federov was right next to me with three of his buddies bluegilling. We pulled up a nice bass, maybe a heavy 5 close to six. Tip-Up was right on the edge of my gear. Next thing you know I've got 4 russians staring over at me and I figure here it comes......
One guy walks over and says "Excuse me Sir (actually called me sir), May I hold Bass. I No see This big all year" Has his buddy take his picture and we put the fish back.
Then he ASKED ME, May I cut hole to jig close to here, "many Bluegill" he says.

I told the guy go ahead. and I made sure to tell him That No one will give you a hard time as long as you ask first, and don't make a mess.

Had a great rest of the day and he never said another word to me or any of the other guys with me.

Shocked me.
Host of TV's Guiding Ice
Pro Staff JAW JACKERS

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #11 on: Feb 14, 2012, 10:22 AM »
Priceless.  Nice to hear you got some respect!

Offline big bite

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Feb 14, 2012, 12:43 PM »
very kool!!!!!!!!
"Youth are our future"

Offline jss111678

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Feb 15, 2012, 07:06 AM »
well i guess i missed you out there you didn't park at the launch , i was sure if there was another place to get on. oh well i will see you out again soon i hope

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.