The ice fishing Montana boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Fish Eyes...?? what they see?  (Read 1163 times)

Offline RME.RET

• IceShanty Rookie
Fish Eyes...?? what they see?
« on: Mar 06, 2018, 11:55 AM »
Ran across this the other day and thought there has to be more information out there on this and although a Fly Fisher (no harm meant) how does this equate under the ice??

Jon Mason Biochemist here: in the human eye there are two things to detect color and light, these are rods and cones. Rod cells perceive contrast in low light. Cone cells provide color vision. Like your eyes, fish eyes contain both rods and cones. Their eyes are replete with the three chemicals that allow humans to see in a seven-color spectrum, plus a fourth chemical. The fourth chemical, common to most predatory fish, permits them to experience the ultraviolet range. Another fish-eye feature is "eye shine." Eye shine helps fish like walleye and deep-sea species to see well despite their dimly lit world. Reflected light bounces off a mirror-like layer near the back of the eye allowing light to pass through the eye twice. (Raccoons and other mammals that favor the night have the same layer in their eyes). It's important to keep in mind that the medium fish see in is denser than air, you need to remember that long wavelength light (red and orange) disappear in the first 15 meters of water. Short wavelength light (blue and ultraviolet) penetrate far deeper. Basically, in that first 15 meters of the water column, color matters. Many trout species rely on vision as their primary sense when looking for food, additionally they are capable of binocular vision. So they can see much finer detail than humans. Now that that's out of the way.. take this into consideration: hold an object up to the sun and look at it. It doesn't matter the color, you won't be able to discern it, all you will be able to make out is the silhouette. This is why in dry fly fishing size and shape come before color. Now if you were fishing streamer patterns, nymphing, etc in gin clear water on a sunny day, color absolutely matters. If fishing this style in murky water or at night, contrast is more important. Hope this makes sense. Sorry for the long reply, I get excited when I can fuse science and fishing.

What say you...??
"Fishy, fishy in the Brook, Come and bite my little hook!"

Offline Anyfish

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Fish Eyes...?? what they see?
« Reply #1 on: Mar 12, 2018, 08:54 PM »
I drove myself crazy with a book called “What fish See”by Colin Kageyama.  It is an excellent read but caused me to expand the contents of all my tackle boxes dramatically!

Offline MT Hank

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • My Fishin Buddy
« Reply #2 on: Mar 13, 2018, 10:33 AM »
I drove myself crazy with a book called “What fish See”by Colin Kageyama.  It is an excellent read but caused me to expand the contents of all my tackle boxes dramatically!
Did it help you with catching fish?

Offline Anyfish

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Mar 17, 2018, 05:50 PM »
I think so, especially with deeper water lures where the color red disappears, and why true silver playing works better than chrome plating.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.